I suspect something deeply illegal and fiverr won`t consider my report

anacristina89

Somebody message me and and asked me to work with him while offering 100$ for something apparently simple.

I asked for details and the buyer told me i have to send him my ID card and the photo of my id must be very clear, my passport photo and clear sharp photos of my bills.

Who asks clear photos of your bills on fiverr, ids and passports? lets be serious, this smells very suspicious.

I reported this person but fiverr rejected my report. I advice youNOT to give your id, passport, bills and other personal documents and do not accept a huge sum of money for easy jobs because these persons will use your data for illegal purpose but fiverr does not seem to care about this.

Have a great day!

Sellers don’t need to share personal information, buyers are a different story. If you want me to write your LinkedIn Summary, I either need your LinkedIn link or your resume, there’s no way around it.

Want me to write an e-mail about your company? I either need talking points or your company website.

But other than that, there’s no need to sign non disclosure agreements, upload ID’s, or do anything that puts your identity in danger.

Say no, report and move on. I don’t get the impression that you shared the details, but if you did, time to call your bank etc. Personally I reject all of these over-complex “it’s very secret, shh” jobs because I don’t care about your brilliant idea/company/whatever–I care about doing the writing to your satisfaction and then rinsing and repeating for the next on my list.

I think the only people at risk from this scam are very new to the internet/freelance working realities, and I also think just about every freelancer out there has been burnt at least once before wising up. Call it a baptism of fire, if you will. A bit like when you realized Santa wasn’t really real…

EDIT: and also those with poor English skills from very different cultures in which this custom may be practice, but I would also argue that if you’re confident enough to participate in a marketplace where the lingua franca is English (for general communication, even if the website has local translation), then you really should have a competent inhouse speaker of English/VA to handle this stuff. Even if just to sound more professional when dealing with regular clients…

Reply to @misscrystal: I think you misunderstood. I didn`t give my personal info. Please read my post carefully.

Regarding the rejection: when you report someone, you block that person and you cannot communicate with that person anymore.

If fiverr rejects the report, you are able to message that person again (and vice versa) via your fiverr inbox.

Fiverr simply doesn’t have enough staff to police the millions(?) of people every day. As a freelancer, I’ve often fantasized about creating my own online workplace, but MY GOD THE REALITIES!

Still think a pool of top freelance talent could create a great job marketplace combining skills.

As I said above, all you can do is report and move on. We’re not privy to the extra information that Fiverr has on this buyer, and as I said, it could be harmless.

If you read another thread, there was another “attractive, young, Fiverr girl” seller who was also spammed by these scam artists. She didn’t include the part where they ask you to also post shots of your “bills”, but, at any rate, it is either a way to put your image on adult sites and be in compliance with 2257 or to steal your identity and go on a shopping spree!

I agree, there are some who may be new to online selling, may not speak or understand English or be in a “spot” where $100 or whatever these guys are offering is 6months salary and they get lured into handing over sensitive data. If their email is still in your box, I would report it again.

I had a spam email today from some “new” freelance site asking me to “come over” and set up shop. They were already dealt with before I read it, as I got the notice that I could no longer talk to them.

GG

Archived