Buyers asking for pity

una4987

Hi,

I just wanted to discuss this, since it has happend to me a couple of times. Naimly, buyers coming at you, saying how they only have a budget 15 - 25$ for something you usually charge more, claiming they get it cheaper usually from other people. One of them told me that they don´t have much money because they are disabled and don´t work. For some reason I´m suspicious of this claims, and find it disrespectful towards me and somewhat manipulative. Especially when they write in the first message how they usually get that job done cheaper.

What do you think about that?

hi there,

As a seller I believe that you must understand that the customer is always right. As a seller I always try to find a way to sell to people. However, on the contrary the effect is the opposite for the buyer. Buyers always try to find a way to get things done for cheaper price but highest quality.

There is nothing wrong with it. I think that all you have to learn here is patience and some selling tactics to earn more but also to give out more to your buyers.

Never under estimate a buyer and try to do your best to please them. Why is that? There are these and those people right? You have to find a way to deal with them. Some would be happy and some would think that your services might be crappy etc. Try to offer them free support or something else for free. They love it.

Everyone is being careful about spending money these days. No one is to blame about it.

I hope that I got to the point here at least a bit.

Cheers
Ana

I think that business is business, overall. Whether a person really is disabled or sick or has a dying grandmother needing surgery - or whether they are making it up - a lot of times you aren’t going to be able to help them. A few on Fiverr make lots of money, a good number of people make enough to well supplement their income, and the rest are just getting enough to do patchwork on their own budgets. If the buyer says they have gotten it cheaper elsewhere, you can politely suggest they continue getting it there.

That’s the hardline approach and I stick to it up to a degree because I have to feed my own family. On the other hand - if I have a great week or a great month or I get some other windfall, I might pass on a small or even big discount for one of several reasons. I might do it because I really believe someone is having a rough time and is trying to get a small business off the ground. I might do it because it’s just a nice thing to do sometimes. So, I think you have to manage your finances carefully for your own sake, but if your gut tells you it’s a good time to help someone out, why not?

I decided to look the origins up after reading the post above because most real business men and women know that it doesn’t really work if you just follow it as it sounds. Check this out:

“The customer is always right”: Several retail [businesses] used this as a slogan from the early 20th century onward."

“Of course, these entrepreneurs didn’t intend to be taken literally. What they were attempting to do was to make the customer feel special by inculcating into their staff the disposition to behave as if the customer was right, even when they weren’t.”

Is a customer right if they demand that you give them a diamond for $25 because they work part-time and their girlfriend doesn’t like the glass fake they offered? No, but you make them feel good by sympathizing and offer some choices. They can get the zirconia for $50, the lab-created diamond for $125, or a small but natural stone for $400. Or, they can save up for the level of purchase they want even if it means you can help them today.

Reply to @fonthaunt: What you said. As the owner of a car repair shop, I can testify to the fact that the customer is seldom right. Most of the time he either does not know what he needs, wants, or can afford, and it is up to me, as the person he trusts to do a professional job, to tell him what is right for him in any given situation, simply because I know more about his car than he does- and that goes for any competent seller on Fiverr in any and all categories.

The mere fact that the customer is going to pay me when he collects his car does not entitle him to free work, discounts, or to tell me how to go about my business. However, it is foolish not to consider the customer’s circumstances and to accomodate him if it is at all possible, but I, or other business owners did not cause his financial distress. We all have our own issues, and as you said, families to feed, which is a fact that supercedes any claim by any customer to be “always right”.

Customer is always right, unless he already paid…
When somebody comes to me asking to do something for unfairly low price I can agree sometimes (pretty often I can say that I’m busy or cannot do the work he asks). But sometimes it’s better to do some work just for a review or statistics.
If I’ve done a lot work with hight quality and don’t see any gratitude from the client I will never work with him again. First of course I will make sure that the client is satisfied, close all opened gigs and receive a positive review.

Reply to @reinier01: I’ve owned brick and mortar businesses as well and found the same thing. I keep seeing new/young sellers quoting it but they need to understand the spirit of the phrase, not the literal meaning! I want to make a customer feel they are right by taking time to understand their needs, not by giving them the moon because they want it!

Well, try not to listen to the excuses, they might or might not be true but either way it is not your problem. Ask yourself, would you do this work cheaply or pro bono this time or wouldnt you?

Fiverr being filled with freelancers, it is very likely the seller is even more poor than most buyers, or they are on fiverr working from home because of their own disability. Not really a venue to ask pity work…

If they say they usually get things done cheaper, that is the weirdest excuse of all because if they can get it cheaper somewhere else, why are they asking you?
Because the cheap is not the same quality perhaps? Or have they angered their usual seller? Or has their usual seller also raised their fees? Who knows, but sounds like a red flag.

Send a nice canned reply, confident but not patronizing, offer a discount if you feel you can do it, but not if you feel like being bullied to do it.

(pst same goes for sellers, if you want work, do not plead pity… you want the buyers to feel good, not sad)

When somebody throws a pity-party or starts into the “I deserve charity because I’m too poor to get what I really want,” I send a form response that goes along the lines of, “Mr. Smith, I apologize that you’re having such a tough time. But just like you, I have bills to pay and children to feed, so please forgive me for charging what I require to make ends meet. I wish you the best finding a professional who can work within your limited budget.”

If he usually gets it cheaper elsewhere and he or she is contacting you, that in my eyes means they’re not doing a good enough job. Stick to your guns, it’s not exactly like you are keeping food from a starving man.

People will try to get things cheaper, but on Fiverr people are already offering their services at rock bottom prices.

Although I can understand that one can be suspicious I must say that, being permanently disabled myself, it has happened where I’ve bought something elsewhere…had a health problem affecting my finances and, have had to ask not one but several Sellers to allow me to back out of my promise to purchase. Over the last 6 years its happened 4 times.

Basically what I am trying to say is that it can be difficult at times and there are many people that are just telling the truth. I’ve even asked for discounts in some cases where I thought the price too high in comparisons to others. Trying to negotiate, I feel, is not a negative thing…just one person’s attempt to save money.

At the moment I am wanting to have extensive work done on my shop and money is an issue. The people I have spoken to completely understand and through us working together before any purchase is made and may come to the most efficient AND economical way to come to move forward.

Please don’t think I’m busting any chops here, lol, I am just saying that more often than not it is better to give a Buyer the benefit of the doubt. There is always a compromise to be found, a small part of a service from one gig provided that can be swapped out for a small part of a service from another gig.

Reply to @scentedsisi: I don’t have an issue with one negotiation attempt. I would hope if the seller declines to haggle, though, a buyer wouldn’t keep on with it. I also don’t see any issue with someone mentioning that they are having hard times, but sometimes it gets out of hand when a person claims to be a one-legged leper with no wheelchair trying to raise funds for a starving kitten that was stuck in a well. Of course, that’s intended to be a little humorous and I’m someone who has been in some pretty dire circumstances, but there are times that TMI is just that.

Reply to @ana2001: No, the customer isn’t always right. If you have a bakery and the customer demands a wedding cake for $5, is he right? I did a search, I found them on sale from as little as $60 to $466, and even $1,200 plus.

The business person has to calculate the value of his time. On Buyer’s Request, I will send my bids but I’m not going to give away the store. Sometimes I don’t even bother, if some guy wants 5 Amazon reviews from 5 different accounts for $5, I have to laugh at that person. The time it would take to do that isn’t worth the $5.

Real people will know how good or sincere we are in doing the services in fiverr. And of course, if we polite to other people, they surely will spread the good word about us. Patience is other key to sellers here. Believe in God and He will help us all. God bless.

I think it is highly personal decision. First, how much discount are they asking me for, and what can I actually afford to do? I once had a gig at a much cheaper price than I should have, as at the time I was between jobs and was thinking that anything is better than nothing. I did good job for everyone, at as low price as I could. Yes, I got good reviews and many orders…but I got too many orders, and kept taking them because it was still too little money…until I found myself working around the clock, and still barely covering my bills…this is not a good strategy. You can sympathize with people and give a discount, but not in every case, and only if you can afford it. If you can’t afford doing it, and you do it for everyone, you’re not doing anyone any favors. Now I price my gigs properly, because I know I can do a much better job if I can be relaxed and not worrying about every bill. You have to value your work as well.

Archived