Existing gigs seem to offer unrealistic promises...How do I compete?

lozlw15

Hi Everyone,

I have recently listened to an introductory podcast on the ‘Fiverr Formula’ which advises sellers to create simple-to-do gigs which they can complete in 3 minutes. Maybe you’ve heard it: complete 10 gigs during your lunch break to earn an extra 50 bucks a day (minus the $10 commission fee to Fiverr)… Sounds good so far.

I then looked at gigs already being offered in my field (proofreading and editing) and was astounded to see people offering to proof and edit 5000 words for one gig. I’ve done a lot of editing before, and I know it is not even remotely possible - for me or anyone else - to do such work in the suggested time. In fact, I would I would say it would take me the best part of an hour to do a half-way decent job on a piece of that length which needed only superficial work done to it. These existing gigs are not being offered by Fiverr newbies like me, but by people with a history of hundreds or even thousands of apparently happy customers.

I have gone ahead and set up 3 gigs of my own, offering what I feel is a more realistic aim to proof and edit 500 words. Even that will take me longer than the 3-minute goal of the Fiverr podcast, but I’m prepared to give it a go and see what happens. But of course, with competition offering the same service for 10x my word count, I’m concerned that I don’t really stand much chance.

As an aside, my only customer query since setting up the gigs nearly a week ago has come from someone who said he had 5 erotic ‘novels’ of 15,000-words each which he wished to have edited and that his ‘budget’ was 1 gig per novel!

Can anyone out there illuminate me? Am I missing something? Or should I just pack up my bags and leave now?

Fiverr isn’t for everyone. You need to find something that can easily be done in order to make it big on here. Or you need a very unique gig that will drive lots of orders to you. Certain services on here are just not appreciated. For instance, there are people on here that charge $5 for mastering services. This type of service runs 100x’s that amount. So you see, if you are not willing to work hard for a little bit of money, this might just not be the place for you. On my gig I make money when people order the extras. Yes I do a whole lot of work for the standard $5 rate, but in the long run with the extras I make a whole lot of money. Almost every other order I receive it has at least 1 extra ordered. so if i get an order for $5 USD, my next order is usually $55 or $95. My average selling price is WAYY higher than $5.

Competition is fierce. In your category, there are tons of people doing the same gig. Not all are that good, but the competition factor is still there.

I’m not sure what to say. If you are looking to get your foot in the door of a competitive gig, your best shot is start your prices low and as you build a reputation, increase your prices.

Good luck.

For most gig types as well, $5 in 3 minutes isn’t going to happen until you are well established. I started on Fiverr after reading a book that suggested starting at 15 minutes for $5. That was more realistic, but even then I had to start out with my first 10 gigs taking me hours to complete and then my next 40 gigs taking me at least an hour each. After that I could generally do 15 minutes per gig as long as I had a regular set of clients.

Reply to @fonthaunt: this is right on track. My first 100 $5 gigs took 45-60 minutes each, but I knew that right around the corner, I could raise the prices in my category. Now only 20% of my gigs are $5 and take 20 minutes. The other 80% are larger orders and I make $50-$100 an hour. The key is too choose something that people are already buying and that you are really good at and really fast. Also something that is difficult for many folks to do. If it is an item that people need over and over again, that will build repeat customers. I only want about 25 to 50 orders per week. My average order is about $30. Can you find 25 weekly repeat customers? That’s the ticket.

There are a few issues to consider. ONe is what others have mentioned which is that when you start on Fiverr you do job that pay a lot less, just to get some orders and reviews coming in, then you can revise your gig. Basically you give away work for free essentially until you get a few orders under your belt.

The other two factors I’ll just throw out there, are that some people simply do this on the side for extra money. They are not concerned at all about cost per hour and how much they make, as long as at the end of the day they have a bit of money inside their account.

Another factor is where people live. Some countries the cost of living is so cheap that $4 actually goes a long way believe or not. So keep in mind that you are always competing with lots of other countries out there.

And I would stop listening to podcasts like that, or at least take all of them with a grain of salt, as there is no such thing as a get rich quick scheme, so anything offering you that you have to just be mindful of those things.

Reply to @sincere18: I agree wholeheartedly with most of this. I do want to say that like many people, I’ve read tons of books on making money online. I totally admit that 99% of the making money or get-rich-quick books have been garbage, although a few have yielded me small additions to my income.

Out of all of them, the first book I read that mentioned Fiverr got me on the site, and while it took me about 4 months to generate the income that the book claimed I would get in 1 month, Fiverr was the only place that yielded anything close to real money. I’m glad I read the books since trying again and again did make a difference. 🙂

Archived