Custom offer is not a good option for my buyers

minkymina

Hello Fiverr’ists,

first, excuse me if this topic is not in the good part of this forum, I’m not sure of where to write it.

I want to share my experience about the “custom offer”. It does not work good for my Fiverr “business” !

I wasn’t sure at first, but since a few weeks I use it, it’s clear : only 1 on 5 custom offer turns into a buying customer, while I had before at least 3 contacts on 5 before turning into an actual sale.

I feel like proposing a custom offer is really “pushy” for the client. I think that just answering nicely make the communication much more like “buy if you want, it’s not a big deal if you don’t”… and it works way better! Of course, I don’t ‘do not care’ if people don’t buy, sometimes I try to know why, aiming to improve my offer and my communication.

Do you have this experience too? I’m not gonna use this option again, and see to be sure that it’s relevant… I have to admit that I had much more contacts these past days than before, so maybe it’s just a statistic fact.

Also, I am French and we are not into bargaining so much. Maybe it’s a cultural point of view. For me, a price is fixed and clear, and the buyer should choose his options, that’s all. I also have the feeling that proposing a custom offer is like the French expression “Un prix à la tête du client” : it means “a price depending of how you look like”. It’s very offensive for us ! I can also admit that my own point of view can change my behavior regarding to this option and that I don’t handle it good, that why I wanted to talk to you about it u_u

Please tell me, as a buyer or a seller, how do you feel about the “custom offer” option. Did it really improve your sales?

How do you handle it and estimate your price regarding to the fact that all your options and rates are already clearly written?

Or do you only propose it for skills that you don’t display in your gigs?

If it’s not in our gigs, how should we choose the option that needs to be linked to a custom offer, in the “related gig” list?

Thanks

Mina.

ps : beside this, I think the option FOR THE BUYER to request a custom order is an excellent option

Sheriff’s Note: Discussion has developed into a conversation with no clear tip for all sellers. Post will be moved.

Guest customrapsongs

I love custom offers, it allows me to maximize my sales! Not everything always fits into a gig extra so custom offers are a godsend! since this option was introduced, i have had soo many buyers wanting a custom offer! made my sales go through the roof

I only offer custom orders when the client asks for one. I like it since I can offer a more precise price for my time and work, and I’d say approximately 60-70% take me up on it (declinations are usually because it was too much money/no response whatsoever). It’s just another tool at the end of the day, it’s how you use it that counts. I don’t recommend using it when a seller is simply asking questions or is already smelling a bit, well, bad for business (bad reviews, bad communication etc–you know the drill!)

Custom offer works well for me, what I tend to do though is give my custom offer and split it up for them in an itemized quote. This allows the buyer to clearly see what the are purchasing.

From there, the buyer can drop off a particular service if he or she decides that it’s too expensive.

Another thing I do, is establish communication with the buyer prior to giving the quote. I don’t send the quote in the first message. I’ve not got a level yet, but I am one order away from Level1 status and have only had my gig running for 3 months now.

I also only use custom offers when requested and 100% they were accepted by customers, since I always discuss everything first.
Recently one of my clients asked me about the price for the task he wanted me to do.
I replied that it’s gonna be 100$, so he ordered all possible amount of gigs and extras he could to reach this value. I end up with an order that I would have to accomplish in 24 hours while it was pretty tough. Good thing that the customer was very good one and we settled everything.
I think custom offer is a great thing. It allows me to put higher prices and precisely point out for what kind of work it goes.

Custom orders work great for me because I often get large documents to edit that will take longer than my 24 hour deadline. It lets me set my own deadlines so buyers can easily see when they expect their order to be completed, rather than just wait and have the order be late. Helps my ratings too.

I also only offer to buyers when I am in conversation with them and ask them first before sending them one.

I dont do much custom offers and when I say much its maybe about two or three, the reason for this is because in most cases the buyer knows what he/she wants and when I price it they just order. I am not going to suggest custom offer to prospective buyers, because if what was already negotiated is agreed upon, in most cases the buyer will just order and I wont suggest that route unless its a unique situation.

I only send custom offers when the work has been discussed or outlined first.

My custom offer fulfillment rate is probably around 95-97%. If I were a buyer, it would feel a bit impersonal and pushy if I messaged a seller and their reply was just a custom offer. However, having a small chat first, followed by the custom offer seems to work well.

I wouldn’t count it as pushy in that scenario, as you’ve already discussed everything and if anything you’re then making it super easy for them to order. As for bargaining - it doesn’t have to be used for that either. If anything, it allows you to upsell and provide higher prices.

In my opinion, custom offers (along with ‘Fiverr Anywhere’) are two of the best features released in recent times and I couldn’t rate them high enough.

I highly recommend looking into custom offers and figuring out a way they can work for your gigs.

Without custom offers, I couldn’t process orders like this:

Thanks a lot to all of you for these answers, I do figure out better now how it can be used in a clever way ;😉

philtabest said: give my custom offer and split it up for them in an itemized quote
This I didn't understand so :/ Sorry, language gap certainly...

I agree it’s way easier when you don’t have customers take several extras and/or gigs to go to the price we agreed on.

I’m gonna give it a try differently.

Reply to @emmaki: There was nothing to worry about 🙂 I’ve received my fair share of those silly chargebacks and the majority are actually around $5. I think the most expensive to date was $25 and I’ve been here almost 5 years. I often quote high and find that the higher paying customers are some of the best and most trusting to work with.

Archived