Why do some sellers on this website play games when they make you an offer

ulifestyles

Just move on…you find that type of seller even in the business world outside of Fiverr. Heck, I just had to haggle with my insurance company for saying one thing and changing the contact later. Guess what, I moved on to another insurance company. No different here on Fiverr. If you don’t find what you want, move on.

That sounds pretty unprofessional to me. The seller should know exactly what they plan to charge for something. If they don’t, or if you get the impression that they are trying to manipulate you or get more out of you, I’d move on to another seller!

Guest voicetex

I often do not send an official custom order.
Reason: Buyer says, I need a translation of about 700 to 1000 words.
OK, I say and ask them to send me the text, as I charge per word.
Answer is: I don’t have the text yet, etc. Please just tell me what it will cost.

So I send them a message explaining my rates and offer an example calculation.

If I sent a custom order for 700 words, the client could simply order this and send a text for 1000 words saying, “Well, I told you it would be 700 to 1000.”

And yes, I did have that happen.

Therefore, I only send custom offers for specific instructions and information.

What do you say about that?

Addition:
I just had a PB (“potential buyer”) ask about 1 video and then wanted a quote on the second video, but split into different quotes.
That is also why I sent messages with my quotes and not official Custom Quotes.

I also don’t send specific custom orders unless the buyer is very specific in what they need. aka I want 10 basic line drawings of hands in pencil.
I find often times buyers want more and more detail for drawings and do not understand that different mediums require different materials and therefor vary in cost as well.
For digital work I run into similar issues, editing an image is different from creating a custom graphic design where I need to create each element from scratch in the design. It’s not that I want to rip buyers off but I do value my time. My concession for this is that I offer free revisions post delivery as I know words can’t always capture what is in a persons mind so if our final visions do not align I accommodate the seller with free edits.

I don’t send specific quotes either until I know all of the details. Mainly to avoid situations like this…

Buyer: How much to bake a birthday cake?

Seller: $5 and the candles and writing are included!

Buyer: Great! So the cake needs to be around 10 feet in diameter and 6 feet high and if you can, make it hollow in the middle with, like, a platform or whatever in it because I want to jump out of it to surprise my friend.

Seller: Oh. I'm sorry. I don't bake that kind of cake and the largest cake I can manage is around the standard size of a wedding cake, which would cost $20.

Buyer: But when I asked, you said $5!

Seller: I apologize. I thought you were asking about a typical birthday cake.

Buyer: Rabble rabble rabble bait and switch rabble rabble!

When I get a message that says, "I have around 30 images that need recoloring. How much?" I tell them it depends, briefly explain on what, and give a rough idea of cost in different scenarios while making it clear that I can't give them a fixed quote for their job until I know XYZ.

If a buyer thinks I'm trying to withhold an offer so I can swindle them out of more money, it is what it is. I like to keep what I'm paid consistent and what I charge fair, so I'm not going to charge the same for an image that takes one hour as am I for an image that takes six.

This isn't Youtube. I'm not just slapping a masked adjustment layer on and calling it a day. The time and technique that goes into accurate recoloring according to material and without loss of detail and tone is very image and shade specific.

So I list the base price for changes indicated that take around the same amount of time regardless of the image, but anything beyond that, I need specifics, like it or not.

Better to spend the extra time upfront making sure I can give a buyer a quote that's appropriate (and that I'll stand behind) than have to fight over what I'm charging after the fact because one of us is discovering things the other failed to mention.

Fiverr newbie, with a couple successful gig purchases.

I opt to post requests for jobs, and am very detailed and clear in the brief request, and subsequent message exchange. When asking for ask figure, sending detailed information or a link to what I’d like, I get those that ignore and ask my budget. I move on, as the communication is off from the start. For those that respond favorably, I send detailed messages to see how they respond, as it gives me the opportunity to see how they will handle the gig, and communication during.

If they don’t respond (some do, but then fade off and remove themselves) favorably, I thank them for responding but let them know I’ve elected to go elsewhere.

It’s usually worth contacting the seller before you order, so you can ask about anything they haven’t made clear. That way you can also clarify what sort of policy they have for modifications – if any – since everyone’s seems to be a bit different!

Buyers should beware of sellers. Although I am a seller but I also buy a lot as well. After four years on this system and being a top seller, there are many, many more who are simply unreliable and simply want money. It’s hard to decide, but the first step is to review the feedback of the sellers gigs. Then send a message with your requirements. If you like what the seller says, ask for a custom order with your requirements and ask for an extra day or two earlier delivery than offered without further charge. As a buyer I will send a message two days before the due date to confirm when my order will be delivered. If the seller doesn’t reply, it’s a red flag and if he does then it’s a good sign. That’s what I do all the time. It’s unfortunate, there’s a lot of dishonest, unprofessional and unreliable sellers on this platform that should be removed.

Archived