Collecting Jobs Outside Fiverr.......Is The Risk Worth Taking?

Guest jennifer_cork

Guest tn5rr2012

I have had a few people who have contacted me and want be to do extensive genealogical research for them outside of FIVERR, I very kindly tell them that it is against Fiverr TOS and also most likely they would not be able to afford my private fees for extensive research.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest tn5rr2012

I have had a few people who have contacted me and want be to do extensive genealogical research for them outside of FIVERR, I very kindly tell them that it is against Fiverr TOS and also most likely they would not be able to afford my private fees for extensive research.

Guest tn5rr2012

I actually posed a question like this on the LinkedIn site but it wasn’t approved. I have dealt with this scenario since joining Fiverr. I do small business and start up consulting on Fiverr and off of Fiverr. Of course, what I offer on Fiverr is the “do it yourself” version, whereas, off of Fiverr it’s more of a “we’re in this together” type of thing. The work on Fiverr takes me an hour to write up. The work off Fiverr takes me 3 weeks, at the least because I have to do research, get the background of the business, set goals and measurements etc and then I have to have an ongoing talk via s***e with my client - which costs way more than what I charge for the work I do on Fiverr. On Fiverr, I am in a better place now when it comes to payment but it still doesn’t come close to what I offer outside of Fiverr. I do have people who need more than what I offer on Fiverr but I can’t tell them what I do or how to find me because of the TOS. In my early days, I was busted for telling someone, through message, that the service they were requesting is something I didn’t offer on Fiverr - which lead him to ask what I charged off of Fiverr. I approached the Help Desk about it and I was told I couldn’t mention any off Fiverr work.

So I get both sides of this. Personally, I don’t have an issue doing one on one work without a middle man because I don’t take Paypal, I have a contract that my potential clients sign and I require a deposit upfront. But I do understand where Fiverr is coming from in terms of liability and if we all go outside of the site, they don’t make money. It’s like your best friend introducing you to the woman of your dreams and then running off with her. So I get what @madmoo is saying. Maybe Fiverr should find a way to unobtrusively capitalize off of those of us who do this on a grander scale.

I actually posed a question like this on the LinkedIn site but it wasn’t approved. I have dealt with this scenario since joining Fiverr. I do small business and start up consulting on Fiverr and off of Fiverr. Of course, what I offer on Fiverr is the “do it yourself” version, whereas, off of Fiverr it’s more of a “we’re in this together” type of thing. The work on Fiverr takes me an hour to write up. The work off Fiverr takes me 3 weeks, at the least because I have to do research, get the background of the business, set goals and measurements etc and then I have to have an ongoing talk via s***e with my client - which costs way more than what I charge for the work I do on Fiverr. On Fiverr, I am in a better place now when it comes to payment but it still doesn’t come close to what I offer outside of Fiverr. I do have people who need more than what I offer on Fiverr but I can’t tell them what I do or how to find me because of the TOS. In my early days, I was busted for telling someone, through message, that the service they were requesting is something I didn’t offer on Fiverr - which lead him to ask what I charged off of Fiverr. I approached the Help Desk about it and I was told I couldn’t mention any off Fiverr work.

So I get both sides of this. Personally, I don’t have an issue doing one on one work without a middle man because I don’t take Paypal, I have a contract that my potential clients sign and I require a deposit upfront. But I do understand where Fiverr is coming from in terms of liability and if we all go outside of the site, they don’t make money. It’s like your best friend introducing you to the woman of your dreams and then running off with her. So I get what @madmoo is saying. Maybe Fiverr should find a way to unobtrusively capitalize off of those of us who do this on a grander scale.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest jennifer_cork

I thank everyone for their thoughts on this issues. I cant begin to tell you how much your comments are worth to me. I still continue to get offers to do jobs outside FIVERR; and though tempting, I have always politely refused. Most of this clients never knew its against FIVERR TOS, but once I made it clear to them, they do understand.

Some have even trusted me the more for refusing some juicy offers and they have turned in ardent and returning clients.

I do see some reasons with some persons wanting to do job outside fiverr because of the mode of payments. I had a hard time with this when I got flooded with $5 orders for a single job. Even after climbing to level one, there are still some offers I cant give here; like designing of webpages and sites. I only just included sales copy, and its hard because its a little bit difficult since I have a higher amount in mind.

Truth is, I wish there was a system whereby we could do deals worth more than a $100 at the go. It would be wonderful rather been flooded with orders. I almost got confused at a point.

Well, the system will definite improve the more with time. For me, as far as collecting clients outside here is something I wouldnt do.

Thanks all.

Reply to @videoconcepts: +1 for an actual Fiverr employee to be present in the general discussion areas here on the forum to clear up common answers to questions. I think it would put the whole forum on an even keel, I appreciate the comments from the regular users such as @Madmoo @oldbittygrandma and @anarchofighter (sorry if i missed someone) , after all their experience with using Fiverr has been invaluable to me personally, but we are in someone else’s house here and they have rules sometimes they are quantifiable and make perfect sense but sometimes they can foggy and unclear and it would be good to get an angle from someone that lives Fiverr from the HQ.

With respect of of the OP’s original topic, I dont see the point of working with buyers outside of Fivver, the $1.00 fee is well worth the effort Fiverr go to to maintain servers, office, staff, marketing, advertising revenue, investment into making our market place even better. If your on Levels, and your buyers really do want a premium service they should buy them through the Fiverr eco system using gig extras.

Having Fiverr there to police naughty buyers (as I have had many) really helps me with administrating my service so that I reach good honest clients, I have been in my personal business here in the UK for over 10 years, you get good clients and you get bad, when you go it alone there is no one to police the bad and this is what Fiverr do really well.

So to answer your question, Should you Collect Jobs Outside Fiverr…Is The Risk Worth Taking? - No you shouldn’t. (but that my opinion) 🙂

Regards

Wayne Austin

Guest jump2conclusion

My personal experience with this has not been well. I had a friend whom had over 900+ sales on his account which was over 2 years old, had 99% positive feedback, 2nd level seller, etc. etc.

All he did was tell someone that he would help them install a piece of a script which came with a gig he sold, onto someones website for them because they were having trouble. This action resulted in the complete ban of his fiverr account! I couldnt believe it would happen so fast but apparently they do not play around with their policy on that one.

Personally I think its a little ridiculous, to try to keep ALL traffic and users from leaving Fiverr when there are so many limitations on Fiverr as of right now. On the other hand I do understand from a business perspective why this rule would be at their tip top priority to enforce.

Guest aweberr

Its not worth the risk, know why? because its just that, a risk, nothing more.

Think about it logically. If someone actually had a ‘bigger budget’ and was willing to pay you more then wouldn’t he have already got a seller on the internet elsewhere? I mean if they had the will to pay more and the budget to justify their will, then they wouldn’t have come to look for 5$ gigs in the first place. It is like a thief going to a charitable event claiming to make donations. The analogy itself should ring bells.

Given that there are bigger marketplaces offering specific professional services related to every trade out there which promise rock solid work quality provided you shell out handsomely, you will almost every time find someone (actually, more than one) who will deliver what you want if your budget is right. That eliminates the need to come looking for sellers on smaller, generalized micro gig marketplaces.

Guest jump2conclusion

Reply to @aweberr: I could not agree more. The size of the problem is relative to the size of the gigs being produced, must keep things in perspective, but as i said before i see both sides of it 🙂

Guest jennifer_cork

@aweberr : I guess you are VERY right. Its definitely not worth the risk of getting booted out.

@oldbittygrandma : Yes, I do cherish your inputs. They always seem to hit right. I also cherish every input here because I get to learn more. If not for this forum discussion, perhaps i would have made some BIG mistakes by now.

I cherish you all…and do I here some Xmas jingles in the background…lol

Guest jennifer_cork

@videoconcepts and @oldbittygrandma : Please I would like more clarifications on this issue; a bit confusing; and I guess many newbies like myself would also want to be more ckarified.

Thanks a mil.

I get these messages from 1/20 buyers, asking me to contact them. I really hope the staff can’t open mailboxes, because I’m too shy to say “No, I don’t want to work for your website, sorry,” I just kinda fumble "I’m sorry I can’t due to fiverr’s terms, and I really like working here, if I ever change my mind I’ll tell you"

They’re so polite though , but I don’t plan on working on any other site…ever.

It’s really sneaky when they attach a text document to your order and put their email in it.

Guest aweberr

All I have to say is. If the buyer contacts you outside Fiverr and if it is a buyer initiated contact, STILL it is a red flag (and I am not talking abut TOS here). A buyer who is happy with the small gig that you did for him and wants you to continue with it will almost always ask you how many gigs it would cost for the bigger work, because he knows that it will cost him lesser, and provide more security if done via Fiverr than if you sent him a quote for the entire project outside Fiverr. Someone wanting to do it outside the system is clearly looking to pinch you.

Archived