I need a W-9 from Fiverr for my employer.. what to do?

badorties

I’ve spent thousands on Fiverr, I’ve been working with a Fiverr person on $200 gigs. But now my employer needs a W-9 from this person. Obviously they wont give me one and they said they work for Fiverr, so I would need a W-9 from Fiverr.com

I don’t know what to do here, I can’t purchase any more gigs until this gets cleared with accounting.

badorties said: But now my employer needs a W-9 from this person.

Your employer doesn't understand Fiverr. We're not allowed to share personal information here. If you give me a $200 order, you won't know where I live, what's my social security number, etc. So I can't provide you with a W-9.

However, when I order on Fiverr, Fiverr sends me a statement, so maybe you can give your employer that. Or you can do a screen grab of the order to show the purchase price.

I think your boss needs to write off Fiverr payments as expenses, there is no other way to do it.

This is actually going to be a trickier thing regarding IRS taxes at some point as I am sure they will want their piee from Fiverr someday, but for now, you will not get a W-9 from anyone.

A W-9 is for a personal collection of someone’s social security number. Which by the way, you and your employer should always be aware that you need to have a contractor fill out a W-9 form BEFORE any work starts. It’s not something you can ask for a few days before taxes are due.

And if the employer cannot write yoru purchases as expenses, for the future you should not be using Fiverr but find regualr freelancers and have them fill out a W-9 prioer to getting started on work. Or once you reach the $600 mark of payments to them ask them for it.

Also, are YOU personally spending the money? You said that you spent thousands. Well, then what you can do is provide a W-9 for your boss and get the income for it, then you write off all the expenses on your own taxes. Just another thought for you…or do you get the money expensed back to you, or are you doing it with a company credit card directly?

Archived