Dont be this kind of buyer

adrianpwijaya

Guest codespark

It is really unfortunate. In my opinion everybody should be polite and respect everyone. I guess we all peers here.

If a seller can not do it for $5, tell buyer politely. If a seller can not take an order for $5, buyer can always contact another seller.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Reply to @fastcopywriter: I don’t mind getting messages. In my case, video productions are pretty complex, so having a chance to set the expectation prior to ordering works well for my needs. But I can understand frustration for others.

What peeves me most are messages like “how long to delivery?” which of course, is posted on every gig. But even then, it’s not their fault as fiverr notes “average days to completion” which of course, is completely inaccurate.

Otherwise, general requests like “How can you help me?” often puzzle me 🙂

Reply to @tsweezey: Are they? I’m looking at your gigs:

" I will report your breaking news story for $5 "

I have zero questions for you. I know you’ll give a delivery like a reporter, I know I need to provide a script (surprised you don’t have a $10 gig extra where you write the script for them), if I needed what you do, I would order right away.

"I will create a green screen spokesperson video for $5"

Again, no questions. Do I know what a green screen is because I was a major in communications? I don’t think so. Anyone who loves movies has heard of a green screen. I can also play your gig video, your portfolio examples, and see what I do.

I also read you don’t do:

No testimonials

No investment / get rich quick

No nutraceuticals or herbal remedies

No religious or political content

I will not pretend to be someone else

See? I have no questions to ask.

I’m no genius, I’m no member of MENSA, I don’t have a PhD, so how come I know not to ask questions and other people don’t?

Reply to @fastcopywriter: Well, I’d love to have you as a client! Many people do give me exactly what I need, but it’s actually pretty rare.

For what it’s worth, there’s some great dialog that comes about via collaboration. I find that for the spokesperson videos it’s particularly important, but not always. Understanding a little about someones brand for example can help me figure out how to present the content, the background or other graphic elements I need to create, etc. Sometimes I advocate for or against certain elements based on their needs. The news gig though… yeah… pretty straightforward.

As for script writing, I just don’t have the time, but yes… it would be a great addition. But… I do have a great script writer here on fiverr that I recommend routinely, and in turn… he gives me business too. So it seems to work out.

Reply to @itsyourthing: I know everyone will say that Facebook is on their way out because Millenials don’t use it as much, but the truth is Facebook isn’t just for the freaking millenials. Youth isn’t everything, the 18 to 25 isn’t everything. Eventually if you want to be connected to your old high school buddies, coworkers, etc, you go on Facebook. Facebook is also a great place for politics, activism, etc.

Let’s face it, most people are lazy. Most don’t want to have a dozen social media accounts, so where will people go? Obviously the big ones.

By the way, the other day my best friend was bitching that the Kindle Fire doesn’t have Instagram. Can you believe it? He doesn’t have a life, doesn’t go anywhere, doesn’t take pictures of anything, and he wanted to have Instagram. I told him, “Dan, you’re not a girl taking a picture of her salad!” LOL

• 2 months later...

Reply to @matrixdevuk: So if a client orders without contacting you first, what do you do? Refund the order right away? Or see if you can do it?

Personally, I’ve had one bad experience messaging a buyer. I attached a copy of a book to see if he could have it translated, that was his request during our conversation, then the guy disappeared. That’s why I prefer to place orders, unless I have doubts, and I rarely have doubts.

Guest seobookmarkbest

You have to be patient and keep the buyer.

Because the buyer is king.

If you refuse to work with them, you just need to leave them, and refused to communicate with the message.

It does not cause problems

That buyer was definitely rude. Sellers should also try to avoid making things worse. Don’t be mean, passive aggressive, or condescending. Don’t pass value judgments, make rude assumptions, or personal attacks. Just state your business and move on.

As for messaging, I can appreciate sellers who don’t like being contacted. Pay first, ask questions later. No muss, no fuss. I can also appreciate those who like to know the buyer is on the same page beforehand. No one has to feel one way or the other.

What I don’t appreciate is the constant implication that sellers who ask to be contacted are doing it because we’re sneaky little buggers breaking the rules. It doesn’t matter how straightforward a gig is. There can always be someone who misunderstands it.

Some sellers would rather resolve that after the fact and cancel if things go sideways. Others would rather discourage misguided orders upfront. Neither is right, neither is more honest, and neither is really anyone else’s business.

We’re doing custom work and we have the right to ask or not ask that potential buyers discuss it with us first. It’s our place alone to speak on why we do or don’t and our own opinion of whether or not it’s necessary for our gigs is the only one that matters.

If some sellers aren’t offering what they should be, we should highlight that instead of associating their misconduct with the fact that they want to be contacted as if that’s part of the problem.

I totally get the frustration over telling buyers to contact sellers if you’re someone who doesn’t want that. Unfortunately, I don’t think people would suggest it so much if they didn’t think a bulk of the problems sellers complain about could have been avoided if buyers had done it.

Maybe the forum could use more examples of how contacting a seller before ordering made a mess of things. Then people might advise it less often.

Don’t be THIS kind of seller -

Advertise that you will do [x] for $5 (it’s a $5 site, for pete’s sake), then decide that it’s going to take too long and you want $35. If I wanted to hire someone for $35, I wouldn’t be here. Go to elance or something if you want to make “market rate.” The true benefit of Fiverr is in the exchange rate. I just sent a dozen roses to some anonymous person for $5 through https://www.fiverr.com/bangaloreblooms - made someone’s day for $5. THAT’s what Fiverr is about. If you’re the awful kind of seller who refuses to do what you state unless you get more $$, please go elsewhere. Too many of you and buyers will leave.

Guest seobookmarkbest

American Seller assumes $ 5 is of little value.

However, the seller of a low exchange rate assume $ 5 is great value.

If I am from America, I will not work for $ 5.

But because I am from a low state rate, I’m going in to pay for $ 5.

We have to maintain good relations between buyers and sellers.

All problems can be resolved.

Reply to @writerlisaz: For me, when I get to the point where it’s clear we can’t come to terms, I’m likely to send something like this:

“Unfortunately, I’m unable to accommodate your needs. With that said, the beauty of the Fiverr marketplace is that buyers such as yourself have many quality sellers to choose from. As such, I trust you’ll find a suitable match for your particular requirements.”

Actually most of the buyers on fiverr are quite amazing.Most of them are quite reasonable and considerate.On the other few are worst who are looking to drain the last drop of blood out of sellers and totally inconsiderate to sellers situation.Anyways that’s how world operates, these kind of experiences are not really exclusive to fiverr.

Reply to @misscrystal: That is the real tip - ceasing communications. I see so many people post their experiences in the forum and sometimes they put up images of the conversation. When it gets bad, it often turns into a um… “parading” contest." If more people just stopped conversing when it gets ugly, it would help things cool down. In the worst cases it ends up with both buyer and seller getting dings on their Fiverr accounts.

I appreciate and encourage buyers to send me a message before placing an order. In the early days, I got more work than I was humanly capable of doing and it really stressed me out. So now I ask for a message. Most times I say yes to what they request, but I often say no, and it usually has little to do with price. Sometimes projects just sound tedious and boring and I don’t want to do them for any price. Sometimes they are not a good match for my skills. I feel free to cancel if they place an order without asking me, but I think that costs them a little money so it’s easier all around if they just ask first.

I am having this kind of issue currently with a buyer. She is harassing me and belittling my skills as well. Do they have a playbook??? She ordered a V.O. with special effects gig, stated that it was exactly as she wanted upon delivery. I stated at delivery that if it was not up to her standards I could adjust it if possible. She stated it was great and then she wanted to have me do another version without the special effects and make some changes in the script that she had just come up with. I asked her to order another gig as this would not really be a modification. She stated then that the original order was not up to snuff and that there was distortion in the audio. I refused to accept that as she stated it was fine from the beginning and exactly as she had ordered. That’s when the harassment, abuse and stalking began. Been going on for 3 hours now. Some people want you to work for free and will harass you into canceling an order so that they don’t have to pay for services. Beware!

Archived