Buyers huge requests for 1 gig

giulia_italia

Hi! I’m quite new on Fiverr and I’m very happy I found this platform!

But I saw, in the buyer request section, that there are a lot of buyers asking for a huge amount of work just for one basic Gig , that basically means for free…

Have you ever received a silly request in this style? Is it common on Fiverr?

Good luck with your Gigs!🙂

Giulia

https://www.fiverr.com/giulia_italia

As the others have said, it’s very common. It’s up to you how you handle it.

I admit I’ve taken some really big orders for 1 gig. I don’t do this very much anymore, but back when I was starting out and didn’t have good reviews to get me noticed, I decided to take what came my way. That being said, these were gigs I enjoyed doing and/or could do while watching TV or listening to music, so it wasn’t so bad. My thought was: I can spend the next 6 hours doing something random, or I can make $4.

And it paid off. The buyers I did this for were really happy, they left me good reviews, and some of them even tipped me or gave me more than I asked for on the next order. Once people know you’re good, they’ll throw their money at you. Getting to that point is the hard part, especially with there being so many awesome, established sellers here. In order to succeed you need to differentiate yourself somehow, and for me it was providing really fast turnaround and TONS of value. That model doesn’t work for everyone though.

Best of luck to you!

Yes Its Common - My experience - with great success

One fine day i received a gig and buyer asked me to work on few sample for the same Ebook cover he ordered - delivered

asked for modification 1, 2, 3, 4 times - delivered

Buyer finalized one out of samples given

Then he said can i work on 3d - delivered

All together i spent more than 5 to 6 hours for just $4

After few months buyer is giving me regular orders

We seller need to spend lot of time and be patient and enjoy what we do and make every order success

Best Of Luck

Reply to @evpassino:

That’s good, it paid out in the end! Yes, I think too that if the order is for something you enjoy doing or it’s something you can work on while doing something else, well, it can be worth it, especially in the beginning when you still haven’t sold any other gig.

But, for example, I saw some requests for writing several blog articles (don’t remember how many) of about 400-500 words for 5$, which is 4$ really. I love writing, I enjoy it a lot, but come on! 🙂

The key is to own the power in these situations.

To do that (and not be ‘desperate’ for gigs), you should be in a position where you can turn down gigs if you are not happy with the client or their request.

I can messages every now and again from buyers who immediately take the stance that sellers here are ‘desperate’ for gigs and that they are actually doing us a favour by purchasing them. In my opinion, I’m doing them a HUGE favour by offering such a high quality gig service for what is essentially a very discounted price (if compared with business to business prices).

The vast majority of clients are kind, considerate and intelligent enough to understand all of the factors and that is when the gig transaction is at it’s best. I take great pleasure in producing work for such people.

So my advice is to sum up the client from their messages to you. Never be rude, always be very polite and professional, but ensure you control the power within the transaction.

I had this message from a ‘client’ this morning:

"Ugh…I see that you charge a junk-fee of $5 to remove your fiverr web-link. That’s kind of tacky. I am happy to buy two gigs for PDF upgrade, but I won’t pay for the gig to remove your marketing. Do we have a deal?"

It’s not hard to see how this order would go if I decided to agree with this clients ‘demands’. My reply was simple:

"Hey there,

It’s certainly not tacky. It is a way for my to promote my services here on Fiverr.

My pricing policy is very clear on my page - I personally feel trying to get a ‘deal’ on such quality work at an already rock bottom price is somewhat… ‘tacky’?

Please do not place any orders for my work.

Cheers,

AK"

Feel confident in your work and don’t hesitate to educate any client to your way of working.

All the best,

AK

Reply to @artworkking:

I love your approach because I have a similar style. Recently, I had a request to do work that would have taken me between 6 - 8 hours (at least) for just $5. I could tell right away that it was someone who I really didn’t want to do business with. I sent them a custom quote for $150. I haven’t heard from him since.

Everything I do is typically between $40 - $100. I think the key for what I do (Excel spreadsheets and Access databases) is building value in the proposed work and confidence in the buyer that the work produced will be elite level. I accomplish that by asking a variety of questions that clarifies what they are looking to accomplish.

I do Fiverr work as a supplement to my full-time income, so I don’t expect to make anywhere close to my “regular” job in terms of an hourly rate, but I also have to respect myself enough to charge a somewhat reasonable rate for the work I perform.

If you know that the work you produce is quality, have confidence in yourself, then deliver!

Doug

Reply to @giulia_italia: Sometimes you have to draw a line in the sand. I was recently asked to edit and proofread a 50,000 word book for 1 gig, when my rate is 2,500 words per gig. I politely told the buyer what my services entailed and why $5 was asking too much. I also counter-offered with a discount of 50%, but the buyer never responded. They probably found someone to do it for 1 gig, and they probably got what they paid for.

The other thing you want to watch out for is resellers. I was contacted by someone about doing transcription work, and they asked me to do essentially twice as much work as I offered in the gig (even though I was one of the cheapest transcripionists on Fiverr at the time). I didn’t have anything else going on that day, so I took the job. I later checked out the buyer’s profile and realized she was also a Fiverr seller, offering the same service for twice the price of mine. I completed the job for 1 gig, because that’s what I agreed to, but I decided to stick to my rate with her going forward. It was just irritating that she was making more money than me for flipping a job that I was spending 4 hours to do. She came back to me several times wanting me to do more work, but I insisted on getting paid my posted rate. She still would have netted a profit, but she never placed another order. I checked out her reviews some time later and found she was starting to get bad reviews and missing deadlines, probably because she was reselling to people even cheaper than me and getting no where near the same level of service.

I don’t have a problem with reselling. I actually think it’s pretty brilliant, but I’m not going to kill myself so someone else can profit.

Reply to @dougdrex:

I had quite the same experience recently: I was asked to do a job which required many hours of working for 5$. I answered telling the buyer which was the actual price of the job according to my gig’s description, then I proposed him a BIG discount, but not lowering the price to 5$: that was way too less and unrespectful. Never received a reply…

Archived