Today is the day i gave up selling on Fiverr

mjab018

Its been a couple of months and i guess i don’t have much sales. I’ve only made $60-70 and half of that is still pending. Its not worth selling on Fiverr.com because its cheap and very unpleasent to deal with. We offer gigs for $4 some take us over an hour of work to complete and we get nothing in return.

This website was made especially for people overseas in cheap countries where they don’t pay enough money for work.

In the us the Min wage is around $9 an hour. I make $26 an hour working as a professional but i figured ill work a couple of hours a day here on Fiverr and make an extra 80-100 a day. But no luck, so i cancelled all my gigs and if you sellers are trying to make a living off of this $4 i recommend you go find something else to do with your lives.

I agree with you in few points. Some of the sellers offering cheap rate work, i believe their work quality also poor. So if the buyer want quality work then obviously they will choose the such seller as like you 🙂

I hope you will active your all the gigs again and help to keep fiverr as high quality and expert’s marketplace 🙂

Best of luck with sales

Well arent you the nifty little american bigot! Marching down here with that minimum wage crap. Calling every other nation cheap and underdeveloped and yours is the one & only mighty nation. Ever occurred to you that it could be the other way around that YOUR nation is too damn expensive ?

Trolling aside and If I have still not made your skin crawl with anger, here’s a friendly advice: Fiverr is not your place to be if you dont offer something out of the ordinary and it is definitely not for people with a steady job OR seeking a steady job.

It is the very nature of Freelancing. To make $100 a day you’d have to be offering something REALLY good. If you dont have that REALLY GOOD stuff, offer something common but with GREAT follow up service and at a REALLY cheap price. Always remember that there is ALWAYS someone who’d do the job you are doing for a lot lesser.

Your entire country is based on the ‘trickle down’ economy, use that day-to-day experience here.

If you’re offering a service for a basic gig that takes an hour to complete, I think you’re the one that’s doing it wrong. If I do my Fiverr job right, I complete 3 to 4 basic gigs an hour - earning 12 to 16 an hour. If people order my fast delivery, I take the same amount of time but make an extra 8 per gig. That’s the REASON I chose the gigs I did - I live in an expensive country and anything else is not worth it. Believe it or not I have other skills as well, but realize that they are pointless to offer on Fiverr because I would never be able to charge enough to make it worth it.

Yeah, sometimes on Fiverr you find people who do ridiculous amounts of work for no price. But if you’re in the US and KNOW what things cost in your country, you clearly went about Fiverr the wrong way. I think the problem is that you didn’t know how to use Fiverr to your advantage, not that Fiverr sucks.

@mjab018- The whole point is to gear what you are willing to do to fit the profit margin.

If it takes you an hour to complete a gig than why on Earth would you even have made the gig?

The idea is to tailor the service to offer to make it worth your time. If it’s not worth the time than simply don’t do it.

For some gigs… like say… mine… The whole idea is to do bulk orders.

It wouldn’t be worth my time to do 1 gig at a time. Ideally, to make more I try and bundle up stacks of 15-20 gigs at once. Post my info and that’s it. One bang, 15-20 gigs and a profit can be made.

I guess the bottom line is… if it’s not worth doing than why make the gig to start with?

What were you expecting? What would happen if you got 15 gigs a day? You would never be able to complete them for a profit.

Love what you do. Do it right. And make sure you “Can” make it worth while on your end. Otherwise… why?

My average per gig is a lot more than $4 right now. Find customers so you can get up to level one and have extras. It sounds like you were offering way too much for a single gig - since you took them down we can’t exactly offer any constructive criticism.

I set up my Fiverr account to do one thing - I wanted to sell Book Trailers. I knew that a regular book trailer couldn’t be made for $5 without me wanting to throw in the towel after a few of them. So instead I set up a very simple template that I could offer to customers. If they submit all the right information, designing the trailer is a matter of copy, paste, insert music, render. I can do two or three in an hour. Sometimes people like the results so much they tip me another gig. So that doubles the price right there. It happens more often than I expected. If they want something fancier, I have extras and they get ordered very often. As I got to know my clientele, I realized there were other skills I had that I could offer as gigs and I do the same thing - scale the service way down to what can actually be done in less than an hour. Underpromise, overdeliver, network with the people you are trying to sell to.

For the record, there are plenty of us providing excellent service, making a reasonable amount of money, and in lots of different kinds of countries. I’m from Pennsylvania. You should put your gigs back up and maybe people can give you tips on how to make them more profitable.

Also, I suggest a real photo of yourself. The one you are using right now looks like a cheap download. People don’t tend to order from you unless your picture looks like it’s really you. If that is a real picture of you, you need a higher quality picture that doesn’t have JPEG artifacts all over it.

Just started around here.

And well, I must say that I agree that you can’t make a $5 gig that takes you an hour… But as I see, most people do it.

For example, a poster design should be done on about one week - some days for the idea and sketches (which is really important) and others for making it. But there are lot of users who offer it for $5. A good publicitary poster should cost about $100 minimum (at least here in Spain, and it is cheap).

So… I agree too that quality work here for those kind of works will be poor. I almost saw gigs which all their works on their gallery where exactly the same, just changing the name of the client, which means all their works are premade. I wouldn’t like to follow that strategy, but well, I respect it.

However, I think Fiverr could work for those little services which already costs $5… Very little things. That’s what I am trying to do.

This works just fine if you set yourself up the right way. If you’re offering crappy quality or offering gigs for $5 that should be priced at $50, you’re in for disappointment. It’s pretty much a common sense kind of thing. If it’s not what you want to do, that’s fine, move on. Not much point blaming the platform, though, if you haven’t approached it in a way that would lead to success.

I’ve been working on fiverr for 3-4 months now and I’m making way more than the little “extra” I had hoped for. It’s not enough to live on, but it’s a great “side hustle” for me. I estimate my $5 gig to take about 15-20 minutes, on average. I wouldn’t do more for that amount of money as I’m in the US and don’t want to do my professional work for minimum wage. My goal is $20-30 an hour, and on many orders I make more than that because people order my extras–all of which are fast and easy to fulfill. I have done excellent work and gotten a good reputation in a very short amount of time. I absolutely love the work, and fiverr makes it so easy to sell, connect, collect payment, etc. As someone who has been running her own business for a while, it’s SUCH a relief to have someone else handle all the “business” stuff and let me do the work. I consider the 20% that fiverr takes well worth it.

But that’s just my story. I bet there are a lot of us making it work like this. If you ever want to come back, rethink how you do it. It is possible to do well here.

I’m sorry you had a bad experience, but the truth is you only have one gig, I had four gigs when I got started. Let’s look at your gig:

"I will 1 permanent Google reviews for $5"

Why only one? You only have one google account? Why not 5 or 10? If you have “Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration and currently working on my Masters,” then why not do gigs based on your area of expertise? Maybe MBA advice, business plan feedback, things only a business major would know.

But Google reviews? Come on, anyone can do those. Maybe if you spoke a foreign language or found a way to differentiate yourself, you’d do better. “I will do Google Reviews in German in 3-Days.”

@mjab018 There is no need to be very mad. It seems to me that you’ve had a few deliveries before you gave up. That just means to me that you were doing fine and had a little bit of a flow. Where you went wrong is probably not being up to date with the platform that is offering your service (Fiverr). Fiverr updates there systems, codes, algorithms, etc on a daily basis.

Reading the forums would help you understand how to keep that flow going and even increase the flow of orders. Such as updating your gig’s with the right content that users want to see, or even contact your previous customers and check up on them. Just because you are on Fiverr, it doesn’t mean that you cannot treat it like a actual physical business with top notch customer service. Go above and beyond with your customer service and the work that is being done in your deliveries/orders.

Many people have different strategies on how they use Fiverr. If you used to conduct your business outside of Fiverr, you can use Fiverr to give your potential customers a ‘sneak peak’ at the full measure of your service when you transfer them over to your original website for your business (after they’ve been satisfied with the sneak peak you gave them on Fiverr).

I hope you stay and see the beauty of web platforms (like Fiverr) to increase your sales. Good luck!

Silly seller! Blame yourself, not Fiverr. Any half-ass business person would know how to sell services which are profitable, and if you are spending over an hour to earn $4, you are a terrible business person. It is not Fiverr’s fault that you cannot grasp basic business principles.

@mjab018

I agree with you in every point. Don’t worry about what others say here. You are absolutely right. I have loved working on Fiverr so far, most of my customers were really awesome. I met tons of super nice people… but most of the time I also work way below minimum wage. YES I said it too! BELOW MINIMUM WAGE.

Damn right living in the US is a lot more expensive than living in India. Is this my choice? Nope! Something is just completely off here.

When I see that Indians (and please believe that I am someone who totally embraces cultural differences. I love world citizens with all their differences!) … but when I see that people in India offer translation services into German for 3 dollars an hour that really makes me want to puke. Why you ask?

Someone please explain to me when German became a commonly spoken language in India? Do you all speak German so fluently and fast that you can translate whole books in 2 hours without any mistakes? Is something like that really possible? If it is, I commend you on that. I guess you are just plain brilliant then!

But I seriously doubt that is possible for any human being. Not even for a native speaker. I takes me forever to translate a book. It is a lot of work and I take my work very seriously. But when I see that now I have to compete with people from India who claim to speak MY language… nope we are not speaking of “English” here… I mean GERMAN… my native language… I really have no clue what is going on here. Do they outsource to even cheaper people? Or do they simply use goggle translate or how in the world do they do that? What German speaking person would translate for 3 dollars an hour? You can’t live anywhere this cheap in the Western world… it is just not possible.

Yes I am mad too. I am mad too because I have two completed college degrees, one in Germany and one in the US and currently working on my Masters. I am plenty of smart… yet I have not gotten a single order on Fiverr in over a week. What in the world is going on here?

Where are my orders?

Oh and I just wanted to add… that I have seen translation gigs on here where people offer to translate 1500 words for 1 Gig. !!! They can’t seriously be translating that themselves. It’s impossible. I mean they can but it would take them much longer than one hour. A human being cannot translate 1500 words in one hour unless they use a translating program.

If any of you offer translation services you will understand. Making a silly flyer may only take 10 or 15 minutes. It takes me about almost 2 hours to translate 1,500 words.

Archived