All My Money Was Stolen

willfirst

My first month on Fiverr and I am pretty unimpressed.

On November 30th, all of my available funds were stolen. Someone hacked my account, set up a paypal, and withdrew my money. I had never set up a paypal and was planning to withdraw the money into my payoneer account as soon as my card was available.

CS is aware of the situation. We’ve exchanged a number of messages in which I had to verify my identity. And they are telling me they don’t know if I will get my money back. WTH? I worked for a month, and now I don’t even get to see the proceeds because of Fiverr’s lack of security?

Fiverr took it’s commission. And I know for a fact that they have returned money in the past to other sellers. (The person who introduced me to Fiverr once had money returned after is was unlawfully taken out by Fiverr.)

If anyone has any advice, please let me know. This is all very discouraging!

Hi @willfirst, I’m afraid @jackyheshi is right. The person who hacked you attacked your email as well - or attacked your email first, noted that you have fiverr and than used the situation.

Or you have the same password on fiverr as your email. So the security problem it’s not on their side , the best thing they can do is claim money back from PayPal (if any) and if that is successful , you will get your money back.

1. No, I never entered my information to any fake Fiverr messages. Or any other messages.

2. My email and Fiverr passwords are, and always have been, different.

3. Yes, I should be able to expect that Fiverr will keep my money secure until I withdraw it. Paypal returns funds if you are the victim of hacking. In fact, it’s quite easy to recover money through paypal. It takes a phone call to their customer support number. Fiverr is like a blackhole. Despite the fact that the money was routed through paypal and should be secure, I have to wait days for a response with no guarantee of any resolution.

Are you all seriously telling me that a site handles as much money as Fiverr every month, has no responsibility for it’s security? Good grief!

So you are saying that you did nothing? Did not click a link that took you to another page where you provided information outside of Fiverr?

What you are saying is that someone actually was able to hack just YOUR ACCOUNT ONLY on fiverr and get YOUR INFORMATION ONLY to steal your money.

If that was the case, if someone actually could hack all of Fiverr, this forum would be filled with out cry.

In the past, the only way someone was able to access one specific account on Fiverr was the scammer somehow got the account information ONLY FOR THAT ACCOUNT.

The question is how? The most common way is the scam artists would send a message to the individual account (gig) and the message had a link in it. You click it and usually it takes you to another page that makes it look like you are signing into fiverr but what you are actually doing is providing the scam artists your fiverr account information so they can access your account.

These are not true hackers. True hackers know how to break code. These guys just know how to steal your information and are scam artists, not hackers.

Reply to @steveeyes: Here is what I am telling you:

I had no paypal account registered with Fiverr. I had different passwords on my Fiverr and email. I had money available in my Fiverr account for a week, maybe two. Someone logged into my Fiverr account, set up a paypal, and took all my money.

How they got in really doesn’t matter to me. The fact that my money was not secure for even two weeks and that this issue isn’t being remedied is the problem.

If you were to call paypal and say, “Hey, someone stole money from my paypal account. They got into my email and were able to find my paypal password and now they’ve taken all my money.” Paypal would immediately return the money. Which is what makes paypal a valuable money handling site. Your money is secure. Fiverr uses paypal to route funds, and yet they claim there is nothing they can do??

Fiverr makes it possible for people to charge up to $8000 for an order. That means, $6400 would become available all at once. Is that money not secure?

"How they got in really doesn’t matter to me…"

Unfortunately, how your Fiverr account got hacked SHOULD matter to you so you do not make the same mistake again. It sounds like you may not want to admit you clicked a link that some person sent you here which opened a new window to have you sign into Fiverr… that is the typical way these scammers get newbies accounts.

The fact that you did not have PayPal attached to your account does NOT matter. All these scammers need to do is get an unsuspecting Fiverr seller to click a link, think they have to put in their Fiverr credentials again and voila! They have your sign in info, go and put in their PayPal account info and transfer the money. Most times, you will NOT see your funds back from Fiverr or PayPal.

Anytime anyone here receives an email clicks a link and it brings up a page or box to re sign into Fiverr needs to STOP and close the browser and report this email to Fiverr (or delete it if you don’t want to bother). Security starts with YOU knowing how to protect yourself.

Also, if you had an 8k order, 6400 would NOT become available immediately. There is a 2 week to 17 day period that you have to wait while those funds clear. Now, certainly, once that period is over, you “might” be able to transfer it to PayPal. PayPal has limits on most accounts unless you have an upgraded Business Account. Not everyone can accept thousands of dollars a day into their PayPal. But, I get your point, whether they steal $1 from you or 8k, it’s still theft.

It sucks that you had this happen, and unless someone in your home or who has access to your computer stole your info and transferred money to their PayPal, YOU would have had to click on a link, or somehow compromised your system. These things do not just happen out of nowhere.

GG

First of all, Will, I am terribly sorry that happened to you. And I’m actually kind of appalled that people are responding to you the way they are. OF COURSE you should be able to expect that your funds are safe and secure. And for people to assume that it’s your fault that you were stolen from, is pretty horrible IMO.

Fiverr can and should return the money to you. I have actually had money returned to me after Fiverr violated their own TOS and refunded an order that had already cleared. So keep at it!

And yes, you are correct, paypal is very quick to resolve stolen money issues. Can you talk directly to paypal about this?

Will,

I get a fiverr communication in my email once a month that asks me to click a link to find even better fiverr deals. I’ve been warned not to do as it asks. It looked like it was from Fiverr but was not at all.

You should be able to resolve the issue, but it may take time, which I know is frustrating. We are an impatient society, and I include me in that statement.

Before giving up on Fiverr’s security, please remember that the biggest banks in the world with the "safest’ safety nets on the planet got hacked, identities stolen, bank accounts drained, names and addresses sold. My boyfriend owns his own company that he provides service to protect against such things for the average person, trained and paid to think ahead of the hackers and try to prevent this kind of stuff from happening. The US government has been hacked as well, so Fiverr is not the only entity whose clients are victimized. I’ve been Fiverr for 3 months now and have had no problem with getting my funds.

Reply to @d3services: I dislike this kind of reply. He was the victim of a crime. And responses like this sort of feel like telling a woman she could have avoided being victimized by not wearing such a short skirt.

We have no idea how or why he was targeted. The fact is, he was. And he lost who knows how much money. Fiverr is a lot of work, especially when you are just getting started.

As someone who works on this platform, I really don’t like reading about online theft. I get the fake emails. And it’s just scary and disheartening. I would be sick if I lost a month’s worth of earnings.

A few days ago when being redirected from Fiverr to PayPal I got a corrupted PayPal account, the account was real I saw my own data but it had a fake overlay (the topbar, screenshot 1) it contained a name that is not mine. After logging out there was an unknown email address in the login field (screenshot 2) A very weird experience. I did not have any malware on my system.

http://i7.minus.com/ipJlS8HxQrrDV.png

http://i3.minus.com/ibydejV4sOWQRj.png

@willfirst: sorry about your recent woes with your Fiverr account. Fiverr CS are usually quite helpful, and should be able to assist you with a resolution. Please don’t give up. That money is yours, and you deserve to get it back.

It’s also not your fault at all, that your account got hacked. I’m not sure why some other responders on this thread are making out that you’ve done something irrevocably wrong, when in fact, you’re the victim here.

In any case, hope you get this resolved in time for the holidays.

Best of luck

Reply to @fayestap: The example of a woman wearing a “Short Skirt” is a decent one actually and I truly believe if she decides not to wear it, chances are that she won’t be victimized.

Basically, why would you not free up your mind and do things that will help you prevent such things? Why wait till it’s too late?

• 3 weeks later...

Archived