My client threatened to send me a bad feedback when I refused to remove watermark free for her

Guest smartgroupvn

Guest smartgroupvn

My client threatened to send me a bad feedback when I refused to remove watermark free for her.

Recently, on Oct 23, I have an order from a client. After she ordered a portrait illustration, I sent her the artwork with my watermark.

However, after received the artwork, she asked me to removed my watermark. I refused and explained that the requirement of removing the watermark has a certain price, and it were clearly informed at the information before ordering, and even on the information about the gig.

I quoted again entire section for her and explained again about the concept of “watermark”, but she still said I was free to add them to the picture and ask her to pay more is ridiculous . At the same time, she threatened if I don’t remove watermark on the pictures, she will not give me a good feedback.

I feel worried about this problem, she became inciting and started threatened my job.

What should I do? Maybe I should send a support request to fiverr?

Guest smartgroupvn

Reply to @diplomadon: Thanks for sharing. I put the “remove our signature” clauses on both, but she seem to ignore that. However, I think she can get order on fiverr, maybe she understand what is copyright or watermark. Also, I am so angry because she threatened me. Buyers need to be protect and what about seller like us?

Guest smartgroupvn

Reply to @diplomadon: That are the worst case that I can have. I has written the information about cost for remove watermark on the gig, and notice for customer before order. Maybe I should have a mutual cancellation for this client. Unfortunately 😦

Guest smartgroupvn

Reply to @catwriter: Thanks for sharing. We use a language other than English, maybe I will have to submit a screenshot google translate :))

I think Fiverr is too less protection for the sellers, maybe they do not think that sometimes the seller is true victim.

a couple of things here. I would not refund the buyer on principle. If the order page clearly states removing watermarks is extra and they knew this they have no grounds to leave bad feedback and threatening you like this is not cool.

Regarding communicating in other languages. I am very careful about this and this is the reason why. I had one buyer carry on a whole conversation in Russian and then it started going south with silly requests and when I switched back to English it magically stopped.

you need to be careful here as some people do this to avoid support knowing what they are up to and I would send the buyer a message in English stating the terms of the gig again and stating removing the watermark is part of the gig extra. Do this so if there is any issue further down the line support can read the communication. If the buyer responds any further tell them you are only communicating in English from now so support can read the conversation as well. I think you will find the threats will stop immediately

As for support not protecting sellers. If there is any proven unscrupulous behaviour from any side Support will help and that is definite

Guest smartgroupvn

Reply to @markp: Thank for sharing. However, I do not think everything will be better if I use English. Actually, she is Vietnamese same as me and we message in Vietnamese, but this is my first time in a situation like that. My feeling are not only angry, but also disapointed. Normally, I am very satisfied when I cooperate with the buyers who are not Vietnamese and we message in English. Of course, I do not mean that all of Vietnamese are like my client.

I think the confusion is that paying extra to remove the watermark is mentioned in the gig description, but it’s not listed as an actual “gig extra”. Many buyers don’t bother to read the entire gig description so if they don’t see something as a “gig extra” when they order, they don’t even think about it.

I would suggest that you add something to the beginning of all of your descriptions that says “All artwork is provided with a smartgroupvn watermark signature. To remove the watermark there is an additional $5 fee.” And then make sure that buyers know how to pay that additional $5, either make it a “gig extra” or tell them to order an additional gig.

I also agree with markp about using English whenever possible. If a buyer has an issue with it, make sure they know it’s so that Customer Support can easily read everything regarding the transaction in case the buyer or the seller has any problems. Make sure you let the buyer know it’s to protect them as well as you.

Best of luck!

I looked at one of your Gigs and it does say remove sig/watermark for $30. But, its towards the END of the list and…whats does your watermark look like? Does it cover the entire image? Because if so then even the $5 is kind of useless for your image. if its just a small signature then that shouldn’t be bad.

If you are covering the entire image with some nasty watermark then you might as well do a lesser drawing for $5 and tell them to color it etc its $30. It’s basically a ‘tease’ what you are doing.

I see where both of you are coming from but you might want to adjust your ad and make it very clear what your watermark is, and how much it is to remove it.

Change the gig title to, " I will provide an illustration with my watermark for $5."

More Seriously, I expect problems every so often and I build it into the gig price structure. For me it is about 1 in 100 orders. If you want to keep high feedback ratings, it will cost you and it is worth the price.

It is always painful to lose a $5 order but strive for the $5 order to only take you 15 or 30 minutes of your time. I usually do not let new clients order large orders for their first order. I usually do part of the order as a first delivery to make sure everything is delivered ok and make sure they like my style. Then the 2nd order can be larger.

You could communicate every step of the way. The message that they get when they place an order could state what they are getting. You could follow up right after the order is placed with a confirmation of what you are providing. Each time there is a problem, it’s an opportunity for us to tighten up the process. You should be able to get it down to a very low percentage.

landongrace said: You could communicate every step of the way. The message that they get when they place an order could state what they are getting. You could follow up right after the order is placed with a confirmation of what you are providing.

I half disagree with this :) Communication takes time, in some cases, more time that completing the gig itself. Use this suggestion cautiously.

landongrace said: Each time there is a problem, it's an opportunity for us to tighten up the process. You should be able to get it down to a very low percentage.

This I agree with this 100%. It's just a shame Fiverr can provide sooooo many learning opportunities!

Here is an idea that may blow your mind. Sometimes us sellers deal with these kind of people. Maybe, the best thing to do is just go ahead and tell her you don’t do this for anyone but your rating is very important to you so you are going to give her it complimentary. Removing a water mark is so simple it is not worth risking your rating. It really sucks but it is best for you.

Do not refund her and do not freight about it. If the buyer leaves bad feedback simply say the buyer was trying to get more for less in your feedback response and move on. In a business where you deal with people you will always have people like that and you simply just ignore it. As you get more orders and get more positive reviews people will see that 1 bad mark and ton of other good marks (Maybe even enough good ones the bad review disappears.) and will think nothing of it. It will all work out in time.

Reply to @usbravo: Exactly what not to do. It is against Fiverr Terms for a buyer to threaten anything when the seller has provided what their gig description says they will provide.

It’s tempting to feel desperate and try to do anything to save the almighty Fiverr rating, but giving into threats that are literally against the rules of the service, just encourages people to take even more advantage and that all the have to do is makes threats to get what they want.

tylerullery is correct. There is an opportunity to explain why the seller left negative feedback - I would keep it very short and polite: “Buyer wanted work for free that is only available with an additional charge” - and then move on. I know it can be scary, and you think one bad feedback is going to ruin your reputation, but it won’t. Even if it has a temporary effect, there are PLENTY of sellers with bad ratings that still get many orders - you will build back up in no time.

Guest smartgroupvn

Thank you so much about all of advice.

I try to reply her by English with previous picture (have watermark on it) and said I will remove sign if she payment for the cost. And I think it’s working when she reply me (by Vietnamese) with more peaceful attitude. Though she want to modify something in my artwork again, but it is also quite promising for a "complete order"

Thank god!

Guest smartgroupvn

Reply to @itsyourthing: Thank you so much. I try to reply her by English and she have to click complete for that order, and no bad review. I’m so happy about this. Thanks god and thanks all for your help.

Archived