Black Friday Sales/Thanksgiving Slow Down

avidblogger

Hello those with sage advice to share. Is anyone trying a Black Friday sale or special Black Friday gig?

Since I’m a writer, I made a special offer (see https://www.fiverr.com/s/6owgoh) where I’m adding an extra 20% to my word count if you order before cybermonday and I made a special gig for it. Then I am sending a note to my previous buyers to promote.

Has anyone else tried this? Had success? Failure? Suggestions? I’m trying to combat the likely slowdown in sales during Thanksgiving week. I also have some concerns about whether I’m going to encourage early sales that would have simply ordered a week later if they weren’t prompted.

Would love to know about what has worked for others.

Appreciatively, - Sukey

As someone who owns a retail business, I’ve learned over the years that when it comes to Black Friday, most consumers are more interested in products they can purchase rather than services that are provided to them. I’m not entirely sure how well the services of Fiver would translate into the rush of merchandise sales usually associated with Black Friday retail sales.

jonbaas, I agree. In part, I’m trying to trade on the novelty of it - when was the last time you heard of a sale on words? It makes me smile. I’d definitely prefer to buy words than stuff, they take up less room in my house. Which is not a whole truth as I’ve basically used books and bookcases as wallpaper.

Reply to @avidblogger: For me it was the consumerism around people’s holidays.

I want to celebrate mine and I don’t want to put things in people’s faces so they don’t celebrate theirs (and relax) it’s NOT a bad idea. Truly just not for me 🙂

I’m a BIG fan of smart discounting. I’m a HUGE fan of marketing 🙂 (See my gigs if you doubt that). And I’m the BIGGEST fan of testing and trying ideas.

This one just isn’t for me on a values base.

I think this is a good idea, especially because of the type of work you do. Just make sure you promote, promote, promote. I like that you will reach out to former customers, repeat customers are key to any business. New customers are good, but it’s the repeat customer that drives the business. A discount of word count is a smart way to go. Maybe you could make the discount progressive starting at 10% for you cheapest gig extra, to 25% for your highest gig extra. People like freebies so maybe offer a bonus gift for your initial $5 gig. You need to have a hook to reel the customer in, so we have black Friday, cyber Monday, small business Saturday, maybe your spin could be services Sunday. I hope you move forward with this, and let us know how it goes.

Reply to @biggz27: Agreed. My customers are definitely getting a good deal even at the regular number of words per gig. But I’m at the point in the fiverr process where I’m trying to build my pool of satisfied buyers. I probably wouldn’t discount if I had hundreds of sales and a backlog of work. But, I’m not there yet. Maybe next year at this time? Ah, one can dream.

Hello! Here is an idea… maybe a discount is not the only way.

Maybe you can turn your writting into commercial writting: everyone is dealing with their own ads to promote their own deals and specials, you can help them to write their own ads. So you could have a new gig for BlackFriday.

After all, all our services are based in the idea that everyone needs help and you can help them in that way.

I’m trying to do so with my design gigs… I hope It works! 😃

Archived