Buyer wants a refund on work I have submitted

writeaccord

Hi everyone,

I just designed 2 logos for a logo gig. In the buyers original brief he told me that he wanted a logo with a similar mood and look to a symbol. I designed a logo i believe fitted his bill, then he asked for a modification asking for a redesign, that i agreed to do. In his new mod brief he had a completely different symbol he wanted the design to be based off. I redesigned the logo and submitted it to him and he has just replied saying he wants a refund as he is not happy. I’m just wondering what i can do (other than refund him) to fix the problem and/or stop it from happening again. I believe i delivered what i offered and also delivered twice for the same price and provided extras for free.

Thanks!

Write Accord

You just can’t do anything against that. You can refund or you can accept that you will be getting bad reviews from time to time so you decide.

When I see that client is not happy I just cancel and refund to avoid getting bad reviews. I know from time to time I waste my time, mostly because of their fault, but I keep my ratings at 100%. So I count it as a part of the job.

Honestly, in your design field it is much more difficult. I sell guest posts so my cancellation rate is very low and everything pretty much simple.

I really do not know, I do not mention that as my gigs are much easier to format. So I just put couple of important notes in my description to avoid missunderstandings.

You just need to try to deal with it nice way and accept that from time to time you will have not happy customers. But even some customers which are not happy will give positive feedback as they know that is for $5 and will not bother.

I’d definitely recommend adding a “revision policy” to your gig descriptions. If you’re willing to do revisions, I’d state the number of revisions you’re willing to do and what the parameters have to be (e.g. they can’t ask for a revision and hand you a totally new brief, ask for a revision and then for a totally new logo). Here’s pretty much what I’ve written (but, I don’t do any revisions, could maybe still be tweaked?) in my description:

"Revision policy: I cannot provide free revisions unless I have misunderstood the original brief. Please understand that you are paying for my time, not just a word count."

And then stick to it! If someone asks for a revision that’s outside of your policy, just tell them that you cannot provide free revisions (Here’s what I write: “Unfortunately, it is against my policy to provide free revisions unless I have misunderstood the original instructions”–obviously would need some tweaking for individual situations), and then point them back to the revision policy stated in your gig description, which they already should have read before purchasing.

About 95% of the time, it has positive results. About 5% of the time, someone demands a refund, which I provide only after sending them a note letting them know that they cannot use my work in any capacity, as they will not own it if they do not pay for it. Here’s a tip with refunds, in case you haven’t seen this on the forums yet: if someone asks for a refund and you issue it, put the work immediately up on a free blog, so if they still try to use it somewhere, you can issue a copyright or intellectual property complaint, if you want to.

I hope that was kind of helpful?

• 4 weeks later...

Hello my friend,

Try sending some samples to your customer before sending the final draft. This way you could avoid bad reviews and avoid some bad intentioned users, who get your job and then proceed to cancel the order, getting refunded in the end.

Archived