With all that knowledge, what are you still doing here?

missashley8705

Reply to @joethorn: Yes it’s still virtual assisting. I actually enjoy the work (hard to believe lol). I would have been satisfied to stay with Fiverr longer but there is one issue that has really held me back on Fiverr. The complete lack of seller protection. I refuse to do any jobs of substantial size and value because I don’t want to risk the buyer not paying up or customer support canceling the order without explanation. Some say that the risk is not just on Fiverr but I disagree. I think that it’s possible to have a lot more control than Fiverr allows sellers to have. For instance, I started working with a company that verifies all transactions in seconds of the order being placed and will ensure I receive payments. They will compensate me in case of fraudulent transactions totaling $50,000 for free! I’m tired of saying no to all the high profiting jobs because I’m scared of working for free. Also I want to be able to call and email my clients if I need to. However it’s hard starting on your own, so now I’m half here and half there.

I agree with you about sellers protection but if you are still at some kind of start I think that should be the last thing to worry about. If you try hard to get clients and from time to time do some work even for free you can count that as a new experience. You will sometimes waste your time but in meantime you will probably get regular customers. Of course I am not saying to take the job and work 3 months and not to be sure to be paid but smaller jobs like on fiverr are for sure not a big deal.

6 yeas ago I lost my job and started with my own website and SEO. To get clients I offered “per results” price system. So if I make results I get paid, if not then no money for me. SEO is long term process so to get some positions I needed months. During that period I got ripped few times. I made him to top10 on google but he just disappeared. But I counted that as a new lesson, learned new things and most important, his loss was bigger. If I was able to make him top10 for “cheap” price he rejected an opportunity to go to top5, top3 or even #1. But during first year as taking clients with risk of not getting paid I managed to get some pretty good clients and actually even now I work for some of them on long term for much bigger prices.

So maybe I am wrong but my suggestion is that in start period you think more on how to improve your job and gain experience and clients and less about money, especially because you love what you do.

Reply to @m2webs: In my opinion, every penny counts. This is especially true when just starting out. There are scenarios in which I have willing worked for free. This happened twice because I offered two different well established bloggers an hour of service in exchange for publicity. On both occasions it was well worth the loss of funds because it gained me money in the long run. I am still on Fiverr because it supplements my income until I’m ready to devote all my time to my own business. Also, I rarely have one time buyers at least 90% become regulars (on fiverr). This is another reason why I’m here because I know I will be followed by my regulars when I change platforms.

I disagree with any justification of losing funds by Fiverrs hand. If you want to say “oh well, it happens. At least I gained experience” then that’s your prerogative. Whereas if I lose a cent that I worked for because Fiverr is flawed then that is not okay with me. This isn’t my first rodeo. I have been doing administrative work for very long time. I’m well past the stage where I’m willing to work for just the experience. I appreciate experience but I will be compensated for my time. Fortunately I have been relatively lucky in the sense where I haven’t lost money due to customer support cancellations. On the other hand, I don’t take risks and in return I lose a lot of higher paying jobs for fear of this happening.

Fortunately I set my own website up to prevent such issues. Fiverr would do well to set up similar systems.

I think your ideas of running a business are extremely different from mine. I will happily wait for the best clients that are willing to be professional and pay up. I’m not interested in lowering my standards in hopes of getting more traffic. I’m very patient when I need to be.

I think this post has digress enough. I made my point, which is anyone who claims to have the keys to success but doesn’t utilize them for themselves, likely doesn’t have the ability at all and certainly shouldn’t try to scam others. To me the point was pretty simple and obvious but apparently that isn’t the case for everyone.

Archived