Make more money by saying NO. It REALLY works

vpix360

Harvey Mackay, famous best-selling author of “Swim with the Sharks without being eaten alive,” wrote that book in the early 1990’s. Today is 2013 and I find myself still using the basic sales and marketing principles Harvey discussed today.

The big one that makes me a ton of money is learning to say: NO until your tongue bleeds. Because when you master that, your life gets enriched with clients chasing you down so they can have you work for them.

Case in point. I have a Fiverr client I will not mention. He wanted me to do a lot of work and this was over 5,000 words and he wanted to order just two gigs for $5. That would be a total of $8 in my pocket.

I politely told them to look at my customer reviews of happy campers, look at my work examples and that I was pretty busy working for clients that appreciate the value of what I do. So essentially, I said “thanks, but NO thanks,” to him.

The next week, he comes back and asks if I’d do the job and what I would charge. I sent him the reply and it turned into a $105 job.

The lesson to be learned: SAY NO to jobs that would mean you’d be working for 5 cents an hour and don’t look back. These are clients you do not want anyway. But if you stick to your guns, tell clients that you cannot work a half day for ten cents… they might come back and ask you "Okay, can you give me a quote, then?“

You don’t have to have an MBA to figure this out. The economies of supply & demand apply here. If your talent is good, don’t give it away for five cents. Sure $5 bucks is a loss leader on many of your gigs. But My average gig now is $25 to $45 each simply because I set my rates accordingly and I included a statement:

”… for BIGGER jobs or if you are NOT SURE… please message me for a quote…"

You ADD that to your Fiverr service description and watch what happens.

Harvey Mackay is a very bright business man. I met him on a a flight when I was working for Kodak back in the 1990’s. His advice to me of saying NO – when I know I’m already booked solid has really helped me thin out the clients I do not want to work for and land the ones who recognize my talent and want to pay for it.

It works for me… it can WORK for you.

Higher paying gigs for you will begin simply by you learning to saying “NO THANKS” to the buyers that do not readily appreciate you for what you do.

I find that saying yes helps, providing it fits in line with my gig description. If I do then it is highly likely that person will come back in the future. Every question I get on Fiverr gets a highly personalized response back (a lot of people seem to give generic responses) and they in 95% of cases end up ordering. Of course, if somebody says “if i order 8 gigs will i get a discount” I respond that the majority of my orders are for 8 gigs at a time anyway, so I can’t give a discount. They end up ordering anyway. Sometimes I don’t think it is right to say no 🙂

There is an African adage that says “it is with ones mouth that an insulting food is rejected”.

Insulting food there could be an offer of any type.

Saying NO at the right time is necessary so as not be taken advantage of.

Think about it, why does Fiverr give the Rating Badge if not to tell potential Buyers that you are more than $5 having proved it to the Lords Of Fiverr Community?

This rating Badge is to enable you to charge what you ought to really charge for those Jobs you have been offering for 5 bucks. So when a potential buyer is trying to cheat you, you’ve got to refer he or she to your satisfied customers reports.

Where ever you are, wherever you be, do not say Yes you when you should say NO.

There is an African adage that says “it is with ones mouth that an insulting food is rejected”.

Insulting food there could be an offer of any type.

Saying NO at the right time is necessary so as not be taken advantage of.

Think about it, why does Fiverr give the Rating Badge if not to tell potential Buyers that you are more than $5 having proved it to the Lords Of Fiverr Community?

This rating Badge is to enable you to charge what you ought to really charge for those Jobs you have been offering for 5 bucks. So when a potential buyer is trying to cheat you, you’ve got to refer he or she to your satisfied customers reports.

Where ever you are, wherever you be, do not say Yes you when you should say NO.

Archived