Freelancing (likely) won't change / save your life

katakatica

I'm going into writing this KNOWING that this will be a controversial topic, ESPECIALLY as one of the few who made it.

But this needs to be said.

If you're struggling to survive, if you don't have a job AND have very little skills when it comes to working on a computer, even if people have promised you the SKY and MORE, if you sign up to all the freelancing sites and 'do your best'...

You very likely won't find much success.

Now - of course - if you happen to be really good at something that sells like candy on here AND you get lucky (as in, the right customers see you at the right time) - you might make it. But the chances of that are slimmer than ever with so many newcomers STRUGGLING to get even a single order.

Let's be honest here: 

Freelancing is a way of working; it's not a job at a company or in a store. There is no guarantee of orders or steady work.

While I know that life has gotten hard in many countries (where I'm from being one of them, I hear the stories every day) - trying something new isn't ALWAYS the way to a stable income. 

As sad as it is - I do believe that many people are wasting their precious time trying to get that first (or second) order - and getting very little out of it. 

Now - what do I think they should be doing? 

- Educating themselves - and not just by taking a single class or two: the internet has a lot of really good (and often free) resources. Take those courses. Start learning a new language. Learn hands-on skills that might help them get a job on - or off-line. 

- Exploring local opportunities: I know this one is hard everywhere right now: but a crappy day job is better than no day job (in most cases at least. Obviously, some cases... are different and my heart hurts for those who experience such things.). I worked for pennies while building out my business  - and while it was less than glamorous, it helped make sure I had food and shelter. 

- Understanding WHAT online work really entails: if they are truly set on working online, they need to know and understand what skills are needed and learn those. This might take years of practice. I'd been a writer for 10 years before selling my first short story! (though yes, I WAS a teen during that time, but still.)

Overall - I think Fiverr (and other freelance sites) can prove to be wonderful for the right people but not for everyone. Becoming a freelancer is a tough choice. one that many people make without really realising what they are doing. 

(I also realise that many people are trying to freelance while working other jobs, which I believe is the best way to start. But I know that many are coming online as a last resort and that last resort might not be helpful.)

I know this might be harsh to read, but it's important. Understanding what you need to make it online is vital

(and no, I'm not gatekeeping, even if some people will definitely think I am.) 

We should always do our best, but we should still remember that food on the table and shelter are things we need. If working online can't provide that steadily - something else has to be found. 

That being said: I still truly hope that everyone who reads this will find success. We just have to remember that it's not going to be easy - but if it works out, it'll sure be awespme. 

• Like 6
  • Up 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Support 2
  • Insightful 1

Great post @katakatica 👏  I think the alleged Youtube gurus are mostly to blame for this.  They rinse and repeat the same drivel in the hope that newbies will come along and believe thier lies.   I came across one of these on Linkedin a few weeks ago.  He was a 13 year old boy who was claiming to be a Fiverr marketing expert.  I mean come on, really?  But the crazy thing was, that he had built up quite a following, and people were agreeing with what he was saying! 

But whilst there is hope, then people will continue to dream. I am an old school freelancer that beleves you should have a good level of both academic and vocational experience. Without these in equal measure you will set yourself up to fail.  

The harsh reality is that it will continue to get harder.  Unless you micro niche down, you will just be another fish in an ever expanding ocean. 

• Like 6
  • Up 1

I look at the matter this way:

It takes an outstanding amount of will to make it as a small business owner.

If one has that amount of will and willingness to take on such a risk, they have strong constitution and perseverance.

Even if they fail miserably, they will gain most valuable knowledge that they will apply elsewhere, and they will be 'successful' regardless.

Now, the rest, will most likely quit in much earlier stages when they suffer losses that are beyond their threshold of tolerance.

So, the 'issue' will take care of itself.

Life is a zero-sum game anyway.

• Like 3
  • Up 2
  • Thanks 1

I think Fiverr needs to stop promote the Affiliate system. I know that takes alot of income from them which they probably have to source in another way that I don't know yet.

But I see that these Youtubers affiliate themself with everything they show in the video. They don't care if you make it or not, but maybe 1/6000 sellers has around 70 orders in the frist 12 months, than that means they will receive a portion of that. Now imagine they bring in 3 good sellers every year, but 17997 bad sellers with 0 experience. Than the platform will die before you know it. They should also stop promoting and supporting these Youtubers claiming freelancing is easy and makes a shit ton of money. 

23 hours ago, breals said:

I think the alleged Youtube gurus are mostly to blame for this. 

100%! 

• Up 1