My fiverr experience as a new seller~ basically what is wrong with Fiverr.

temurbv

ℹ️ TLDR: Platform is fundamentally flawed rigged against new sellers.

⚠️ Main issue (from my POV): First page gig ranking algorithm.
The main issue that many new sellers face can be stemmed from Fiverr's terrible ranking algorithm.

According to Fiverr staff:

The algorithm in charge takes many factors into account, such as overall performance, ratings, number of completed orders, etc, which is why the position of your Gigs cannot be manually altered. 

• Your gig rank doesn't change if you have 0 reviews / 0 orders / 0 views / 0 etc.
  • Your gig is moved up if it has x number of reviews (estimating it at 20 on average) / x number of orders (estimating it at 50 on average)
  • You can only promote your gig on Fiiverr if you have past sales and reviews...

This is also accounting for the fact that Fiverr + Google SEO is absolute c**p -- after tedious research and testing.

Now before some Fiverr "Seller Plus Member" of 10 years comments: "No you're wrong" -- being a seller plus member of 10 years where there was less competition 10 years ago in this platform to start. This is part of the problem. Long time users have the privilege to abuse features that are given only to them.

Picture this a Fiverr buyer (not seller): Most of your focus goes to best seller or recommended. As a buyer, you have given more trust to gigs in either of these categories. You give more trust they are of quality when on Fiverr this may not be the case due to how long-term gigs can abuse being on top.

While I wonder what the churn rate is for new users/ new gigs as they have no features to promote their gigs. 

Take amazon for example, their algorithm is not perfect, however each item can be promoted whether it is new or old. There is no bias according to user type.

All in all, this algorithm heavily favors monetization for Fiverr rather than seller opportunity. 

35 minutes ago, temurbv said:

All in all, this algorithm heavily favors monetization for Fiverr rather than seller opportunity. 

That's right and it's normal.
Fiverr is a profit-making company. It's not a charity. If you had a business, you'd do everything you could to generate income.

There are only 960 places available in the search results (20 pages). Fiverr will not and cannot "rank" all services that are searched for.

The best example of this is "logo design". 2 months ago there were 110K+ "logo design" services available. Today there are 130K+. All the new sellers who start with logo design now will never get orders, yet new sellers still start offering logo design services.

The best way in my opinion to start as a new seller is to offer something unique in which there is little competition and plenty of demand.  Many sellers, almost all from Asia, take a crash course in something, then immediately create a Fiverr profile (with heavily exaggerated skills), post a gig online and expect to get orders immediately. That's not how it works. Fiverr gives them a chance in the first month by boosting their gig(s) and placing them in the search results and then the boost stops. If those sellers don't get orders in the first month, for most of them the Fiverr story is over.

That's right and it's normal.
Fiverr is a profit-making company. It's not a charity. If you had a business, you'd do everything you could to generate income.

Yes -- and this is in the cost of high user churn as I mentioned.  This is not normal in business and not sustainable in the long run. Yes, you can have all of your old sellers that have have benifitted from low competition but at the same time you LOSE many of your new sellers.

Compared to amazon, fiver is a marketplace just like amazon. New amazon sellers are not churning the way fiverr sellers are. This is why you see many new sellers frustrated-- many of which have quit this platform. 

There are only 960 places available in the search results (20 pages). Fiverr will not and cannot "rank" all services that are searched for.

This is fiver's issue; not the users'. Saying "fiver cannot" do this while other platforms can achieve similar or even better feats is laughable.

All the new sellers who start with logo design now will never get orders, yet new sellers still start offering logo design services.

So you agree with me-- there is a fundamental flaw with Fiverr's algorithm 🤣🤣

The best way in my opinion to start as a new seller is to 

Although I am only testing out fiverr-- i don't freelance or care to freelance full time. 

The best way to start as a new seller is get off of Fiverr and get on a website that offers great SEO like webflow or something and try to get our site page ranked. From there create a funnel to a payment page. 

This platform is useless in comparison.

Most new sellers arrive, operate, assume, believe and complain with the help of a misleading term known as "gig rank".

They all aspire and yearn for a rank on "page 1" too. One can open Fiverr in incognito mode every day, take notes, do analysis of gigs and draw fictional conclusions too. 

Pepe Silvia | Know Your Meme

But its all WRONG because basic premise of the entire hypothesis is a term known as "gig rank", which is an imaginary concept. It doesn't exist!! 

Edited by priyank_mod