I am trying to order a book cover but two very well-reviewed designers have both not delivered. And I can't leave a review.

ianborkent

Hello there, I am a first-time buyer.

I am an author and in need of a book cover. So far without success. I am wondering if Fiverr is the right platform for me?

I first asked a very popular, well-reviewed designer. After hearing nothing for 3 days, she wanted me to extend the deadline, which I did. 3 days later, she did not make the second deadline either. And she did not communicate whatsoever about it. I cancelled the order after hours of not hearing from her and received my money back. I wanted to leave a 1-star review, but couldn't because I am a first-time buyer.

Okay, so I searched for another seller. Found one with very good reviews also (4.9 on average). He had a 2-day delivery time so I hoped to get my cover in 2 days. However, I was not satisfied with his first ideas. He then asked to extend the deadline twice. We are now 8 days into this, and he has not made the third deadline... And he has not communicated about that.

So I want to cancel cause it's taking far too long. And I cannot leave a review either.

How do I find a designer who can actually deliver good work, within the time-frame that they advertise??

Or should I move to 100 covers or 99 designs and pay significantly more?

Other people experience this?

Edited by ianborkent
  • Like 5
  • Insightful 1

4 hours ago, ianborkent said:

Hello there, I am a first-time buyer.

I am an author and in need of a book cover. So far without success. I am wondering if Fiverr is the right platform for me?

I first asked a very popular, well-reviewed designer. After hearing nothing for 3 days, she wanted me to extend the deadline, which I did. 3 days later, she did not make the second deadline either. And she did not communicate whatsoever about it. I cancelled the order after hours of not hearing from her and received my money back. I wanted to leave a 1-star review, but couldn't because I am a first-time buyer.

Okay, so I searched for another seller. Found one with very good reviews also (4.9 on average). He had a 2-day delivery time so I hoped to get my cover in 2 days. However, I was not satisfied with his first ideas. He then asked to extend the deadline twice. We are now 8 days into this, and he has not made the third deadline... And he has not communicated about that.

So I want to cancel cause it's taking far too long. And I cannot leave a review either.

How do I find a designer who can actually deliver good work, within the time-frame that they advertise??

Or should I move to 100 covers or 99 designs and pay significantly more?

Other people experience this?

Hey!

I think you might need to slow down a little bit - I know that it's super exciting to look for a cover, but art isn't cheap (or fast.). If someone's style doesn't match your expectations, that can be tricky to handle as well.

What's important to understand as well is that some projects might be harder than others. I can write 1000 words in 20 minutes or 3 hours depending on what I'm working on. (Without editing, etc. obviously.) Art is much the same. 

That being said - the sellers should have communicated this better.

Revisions or redos mean things will take more time, too. Some sellers have tight schedules so small issues can cause things to go haywire.

That being said, if they continue not to deliver, cancellation is the best option. However, I do think it's good to give people a bit of grace. 

You never know what's going on in their lives.

(One big tip from me to all buyers is to keep checking the order page. I've missed many messages on there as a buyer and seller, so it's good to make sure you're not missing any questions/ etc. from the sellers as well, just in case.)

• Like 10

Thank you for the answers. I contacted each seller beforehand, making my objectives clear. I do not mind the revision process, but both sellers repeatedly asked for the first delivery deadline to be moved back. Which I was happy to do. However, they both did not deliver on or before that (extended) deadline, and then did not communicate about that. I'm all for extending grace but without communication I will lose trust.

Edited by ianborkent
  • Like 2