Programmers are not protected on Fiverr

yonislacorte

Hello to all, I hope this post reaches the right people. I'm a developer who has worked on Fiverr since 2022 as a programmer.
What I've learned working for more than 2 years here is that we, as developers, are not protected on Fiverr. It happened different times that the buyer just contacted customer support on Fiverr saying that the program I made was not working(after the delivery of a working program that I tested myself and know for a fact that it worked) and the order was canceled. This way the client had the bot I delivered for free and I just lost 2+ weeks of my work and all the order's money.
The problem is that, unlike photos or videos, programs can't have watermark to protect the delivery. We just have to hope that the client is honest and doesn't try to scam us, and the worst thing is that the customer support doesn't even ask you you're version or doesn't even try to protect you as a buyer, but it just cancels the order and stops.

It's a shame that we, as developers, have to work for weeks hoping that the client is honest. Usually, you use a platform like Fiverr because you know both you and the buyer are protected, at least that's what I thought but now I don't know anymore. Fiverr is my job, but here I've already lost for this reason a lot of money and time and now I'm always scared when I do an order that the client will just run with it and basically steal it without any problem, while he's being protected by Fiverr itself, a platform that should protect us sellers too.

Please, this situation has to change.

(I've contacted customer support for the last instance of this happening and they'll let me know, I'll keep everyone update of what happens but, in every case this is not how things should go)

Edited by yonislacorte
  • Up 1

22 minutes ago, yonislacorte said:

Hello to all, I hope this post reaches the right people. I'm a developer who has worked on Fiverr since 2022 as a programmer.
What I've learned working for more than 2 years here is that we, as developers, are not protected on Fiverr. It happened different times that the buyer just contacted customer support on Fiverr saying that the program I made was not working(after the delivery of a working program that I tested myself and know for a fact that it worked) and the order was canceled. This way the client had the bot I delivered for free and I just lost 2+ weeks of my work and all the order's money.
The problem is that, unlike photos or videos, programs can't have watermark to protect the delivery. We just have to hope that the client is honest and doesn't try to scam us, and the worst thing is that the customer support doesn't even ask you you're version or doesn't even try to protect you as a buyer, but it just cancels the order and stops.

It's a shame that we, as developers, have to work for weeks hoping that the client is honest. Usually, you use a platform like Fiverr because you know both you and the buyer are protected, at least that's what I thought but now I don't know anymore. Fiverr is my job, but here I've already lost for this reason a lot of money and time and now I'm always scared when I do an order that the client will just run with it and basically steal it without any problem, while he's being protected by Fiverr itself, a platform that should protect us sellers too.

Please, this situation has to change.

(I've contacted customer support for the last instance of this happening and they'll let me know, I'll keep everyone update of what happens but, in every case this is not how things should go)

I totally agree that there are such unfortunate incidents where some buyers purposely make you do all the work and then try to scam you to get free work. Similar things have happened to me before, and that’s why I carefully choose who to work with and try to find out if someone is compatible before I decide to work with them. In the past, I’ve also encountered buyers who took my work for free, and nothing was done to protect me. Some buyers can find any loophole, even if there are none, and make up stories. It’s better to work with people who create a comfortable environment and are kind and avoid those who seem dominating and unprofessional.

• Up 1