To what extent can clients request revisions?

majidshowghi

Question

To what extent can clients request revisions? How should we respond when they exceed the agreed-upon number of revisions?

I’m a motion designer, and my clients usually start with a clear idea when they place an order. However, after receiving the final video, they often ask for revisions. I understand when it’s due to my mistakes, like using the wrong color or having a lag in the animation – those are on me.

But sometimes, clients ask for changes or additions that weren’t part of the initial script. I feel uncomfortable asking for an extra $10 on a $15 order, maybe because of the culture I grew up in (though I don’t live there now). Still, when I try to be direct and tell them there’s an additional cost, they accuse me of fraud or something similar. Even if they don’t say it outright, they might stop coming back or leave a negative rating on Fiverr's "private feedback," which, let’s be honest, feels quite hypocritical.

I typically allow three revisions but usually end up delivering more – once, I even did 27 renders for a single client!

How do you handle situations like this? I’m especially curious to hear from people from different cultures. Do you stand your ground and explain the extra charges, or do you just give in to keep the client happy?

• Like 2

6 answers to this question

17 hours ago, majidshowghi said:

Do you stand your ground and explain the extra charges, or do you just give in to keep the client happy?

It is clearly stated in my order description (always a custom order) that I offer 1 free "minor" revision. For good customers, I will do multiple minor revisions if necessary, but I always state in the order only 1 minor revision. If it gets out of hand, I refer to the order description that they have in fact approved by confirming the order.

Big revisions are not going to be free. I am not a charity.

• Like 2
  • Up 2

3 hours ago, filipdevaere said:

I am not a charity.

This is good to say over here, but how do you face them when they ask so? 
I mean, cancellation is not an option when it is so destructive on the Fiverr algorithm. 

And plus, you want to make sure they don't leave a bad review and that f*king private question! 

What words do you use when they are asking extra? 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, majidshowghi said:

I feel uncomfortable asking for an extra $10 on a $15 order, maybe because of the culture I grew up in (though I don’t live there now).

I understand the hesitation and once in a blue moon we do end up with a buyer who just loves making changes for the heck of it. I have never objected or demanded extra money for revisions. I had may be 2-3 buyers so far who are exceptions to it and they just keep seeking revisions (may be to get max ROI of their spends). I took those orders as my learning and became more careful towards the demanding ones. 

But if scope of work of the order changes by a relatively large margin ie. I make presentations, so I'm ok if a couple of extra slides get added. I don't trouble them but there is a substantial amount of additional work. Then I simply ask them and so far all the buyers have agreed and co-operated. (except one last week who added more work and then wanted me to delete the extra work which was already done because he had no funds to pay for it) 🤦‍♂️

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, priyank_mod said:

I understand the hesitation and once in a blue moon we do end up with a buyer who just loves making changes for the heck of it. I have never objected or demanded extra money for revisions. I had may be 2-3 buyers so far who are exceptions to it and they just keep seeking revisions (may be to get max ROI of their spends). I took those orders as my learning and became more careful towards the demanding ones. 

But if scope of work of the order changes by a relatively large margin ie. I make presentations, so I'm ok if a couple of extra slides get added. I don't trouble them but there is a substantial amount of additional work. Then I simply ask them and so far all the buyers have agreed and co-operated. (except one last week who added more work and then wanted me to delete the extra work which was already done because he had no funds to pay for it) 🤦‍♂️

Can I ask about your field of work? 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, majidshowghi said:

What words do you use when they are asking extra? 

Nothing special. I just tell them that it will be an extra cost.

49 minutes ago, majidshowghi said:

I mean, cancellation is not an option when it is so destructive on the Fiverr algorithm. 

And plus, you want to make sure they don't leave a bad review and that f*king private question! 

I know. It's dangerous. 

• Like 2