Steps after message from buyer who wants my design service.

swatcreate

Question

Hello,

I am a new member joined 3 months ago. I just received a message from a buyer stating this: "Can you quote me? I want 3-5 new options." 

Please help me how to go about it? I mean what are the next steps. Should I send him one design or should I quote my price first.

Should I ask the buyer to select the package?

I am confused what to reply as  I don't want to loose the order as it is my first order.

Please guide.

Thanks,

Swati

• Like 2

7 answers to this question

May be you can share a sample (with your watermark) along with cost and timeline for the entire order. Once buyer approves, you can send the custom offer.

Or if your gig directly covers what buyer is asking, then ask the buyer to buy the package (with right quantity). 

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, priyank_mod said:

May be you can share a sample (with your watermark) along with cost and timeline for the entire order. Once buyer approves, you can send the custom offer.

Or if your gig directly covers what buyer is asking, then ask the buyer to buy the package (with right quantity). 

Thanks for the prompt reply.

• Like 1

Make sure you don't provide anything that the buyer can use.
Place a watermark on your example as @priyank_mod already indicated.
Don't provide source files. For example, provide a pdf file and place text over your example so that the buyer can see your example but can't do anything with it.

Below is a link to a very recent post from someone who was approached by a scammer. Scammers look for sellers who have no or very few orders (like you).

Once there is an order, you have more certainty that nothing can go wrong, but this is no guarantee.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, filipdevaere said:

Make sure you don't provide anything that the buyer can use.
Place a watermark on your example as @priyank_mod already indicated.
Don't provide source files. For example, provide a pdf file and place text over your example so that the buyer can see your example but can't do anything with it.

Below is a link to a very recent post from someone who was approached by a scammer. Scammers look for sellers who have no or very few orders (like you).

Once there is an order, you have more certainty that nothing can go wrong, but this is no guarantee.

This is so helpful!

It is so overwhelming and confusing when you get your first message which can ne converted to order. 

Can you please help me with one more question. Once the buyer approves my sample design, after that should I create a custom offer for him or ask him to choose from the 3 packages already created?

Is it a good idea to ask price for per design or for complete set like 4-5 designs?

Thanks,

Swati

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, swatcreate said:

should I create a custom offer for him or ask him to choose from the 3 packages already created?

Personally, I don't let anyone choose a package anymore. I have enabled the "Request to order" function so that buyers have to contact me first and then I create a custom offer for them with which they can place an order.

I prefer custom offers because I can specify very clearly in the text of the offer what the buyer is going to get from me.

The descriptions of the packages are very limited. You can't put much text in them. I write in more detail what the buyer is going to get in each custom order to avoid discussions afterwards.

12 minutes ago, swatcreate said:

Is it a good idea to ask price for per design or for complete set like 4-5 designs?

I would give him the price for the 5 sets. You should definitely mention the exact number of sets in the custom offer. If he has accepted the custom offer, he should not ask for more sets afterwards.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, filipdevaere said:

Personally, I don't let anyone choose a package anymore. I have enabled the "Request to order" function so that buyers have to contact me first and then I create a custom offer for them with which they can place an order.

I prefer custom offers because I can specify very clearly in the text of the offer what the buyer is going to get from me.

The descriptions of the packages are very limited. You can't put much text in them. I write in more detail what the buyer is going to get in each custom order to avoid discussions afterwards.

I would give him the price for the 5 sets. You should definitely mention the exact number of sets in the custom offer. If he has accepted the custom offer, he should not ask for more sets afterwards.

I also do the same thing because premade packages do not go with all buyer requirements, so I always make a custom offer after discussing the project with the buyer. Also, I clearly mentioned in my gig description that before purchasing my gig package, please send me a message to avoid any conflict.

• Like 1
  • Up 1