Negotiating prices

It’s no secret. Price can make or break a deal for most customers. 

So, what do you do when you connect with a potential buyer who seems like a good fit yet objects to your price? While you may be tempted to immediately discard the buyer, there are ways to strategically navigate this obstacle to help you secure the client - without compromising too much on your prices. Here are some important things to consider: 

• Communicate your value clearly- Price objections will often arise when the buyer is struggling to see the value in what you’re offering. To combat this, we suggest you break down what you’re charging, and highlight your experience, unique skills, and successful projects. You can also provide an outline n of your process so they fully understand the time and effort required to get the quality results they are hoping for.
  • Understand their needs- Take time to listen to their requirements and discuss their budget constraints. By understanding their perspective, you will be better equipped to offer solutions and adjustments that can meet their needs. 
  • Offer customized solutions- If the buyer cannot be flexible with their budget, consider suggesting another package or adjusting the scope of your work. You might also consider working in milestones or splitting the order into a few small orders so they can pay you overtime instead of in one lump sum. 

What is your approach when it comes to navigating pricing with potential buyers? Do you still try to win the sale after a price objection, or do you prefer to let them go? Share your insights below.

• Like 31

1 hour ago, Kesha said:

What is your approach when it comes to navigating pricing with potential buyers?

I saw an advice here on Fiverr I forgot the person name, but he talked about if you give a discount, ask more days to work in the project. The client will be at their budget and you can have more time to work on it without pressure.

• Like 21
  • Up 2

24 minutes ago, mateusbl said:

I saw an advice here on Fiverr I forgot the person name, but he talked about if you give a discount, ask more days to work in the project. The client will be at their budget and you can have more time to work on it without pressure.

Yes. A negotiation isn’t a negotiation if both parties aren’t willing to bring something to the table. If you want a discount, I need something in exchange for that. The main thing a buyer can give you is more time.

But I don’t generally give discounts. I have a price and I stick to it because that’s the lowest price I’m willing to work for. I won’t consider a lower price unless I get substantially more time to complete it. Any other requests for discount are met with a simple “no.” 

• Like 20
  • Up 4
  • Support 2

I let them go 99% of the time. It's of utmost importance here on Fiverr, where we're graded on "value" in a couple of ways and the 'AI' uses that to determine our exposure (or lack thereof), to align from the start. 

A couple of orders ago, I did get approached by a person who was brand new to Fiverr and requested a compromise on usage rights for four different ads within one order. The person was maybe the nicest I've met here and very refreshingly communicative about their needs otherwise. It just hit my intuition positively.

In 99% of the cases, though, I politely decline, explain that we do kind of get punished by the algorithm if our needs don't align in this regards, and have a pretty lengthy auto-response explaining how to go about figuring out another seller's rates in order to see if they align with their budget.

If we weren't punished by the algorithm, I'd probably be more flexible.

Edited by mandyzines
  • Like 14
  • Up 4

Great insights! I completely agree that communicating value is key when price objections arise. I’ve found that when clients truly understand the unique benefits and expertise they're getting, the conversation often shifts from price to partnership. Tailoring solutions to fit their needs can turn a hesitant buyer into a loyal customer. Thanks for sharing this strategy!

• Like 9

On 8/27/2024 at 9:28 PM, Kesha said:

So, what do you do when you connect with a potential buyer who seems like a good fit yet objects to your price? While you may be tempted to immediately discard the buyer, there are ways to strategically navigate this obstacle to help you secure the client - without compromising too much on your prices. Here are some important things to consider: 

• Communicate your value clearly- Price objections will often arise when the buyer is struggling to see the value in what you’re offering. To combat this, we suggest you break down what you’re charging, and highlight your experience, unique skills, and successful projects. You can also provide an outline n of your process so they fully understand the time and effort required to get the quality results they are hoping for.
  • Understand their needs- Take time to listen to their requirements and discuss their budget constraints. By understanding their perspective, you will be better equipped to offer solutions and adjustments that can meet their needs. 
  • Offer customized solutions- If the buyer cannot be flexible with their budget, consider suggesting another package or adjusting the scope of your work. You might also consider working in milestones or splitting the order into a few small orders so they can pay you overtime instead of in one lump sum. 

What is your approach when it comes to navigating pricing with potential buyers? Do you still try to win the sale after a price objection, or do you prefer to let them go? Share your insights below.

Good information for the seller. 

• Like 8

Thanks for the valuable information.

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

As a new seller I believe this content gonna help me a lot🙂 Thank you so much for shearing...🥰

• Like 8

On 8/27/2024 at 11:59 PM, vibronx said:

Yes. A negotiation isn’t a negotiation if both parties aren’t willing to bring something to the table. If you want a discount, I need something in exchange for that. The main thing a buyer can give you is more time.

But I don’t generally give discounts. I have a price and I stick to it because that’s the lowest price I’m willing to work for. I won’t consider a lower price unless I get substantially more time to complete it. Any other requests for discount are met with a simple “no.” 

Correct!

• Like 10

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you @Kesha for the valuable content!

• Like 1