Request for Tip huge turn off

I used Fiverr for the first time ever for a logo. The seller was great overall and no real complaints. Only thing that seemed odd is he priced out his 3 packages and than jacked up the price once I chose the package. When questioned he said it was the exchange rate. When I checked the exchange he was charging me more but did not question it. 

The real issue for me is Fiverr saying it's customary to tip once the project was delivered and accepted. The seller did not ask but looks like Fiverr is asking me to tip. That is a huge turn off for me. I have had it up to my eyeballs with the tipping culture right now. 

The seller gave me a price which we agreed to. This is not a restaurant. I think it's absolutely ridiculous that your asking people to tip. 

This may be my last time using Fiverr. 

• Like 4
  • Support 3
  • Insightful 1

20 minutes ago, kristynastar said:

han jacked up the price once I chose the package.

can I know how the seller jacked up the price, did he send an offer price more than you agreed on or did something else go wrong here?
as far as I am aware it isn't mandatory to add a tip for a seller, you can skip the tips part if you want.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, kristynastar said:

The real issue for me is Fiverr saying it's customary to tip once the project was delivered and accepted.

Tips are an extra source of income for Fiverr. That's why they do this.
Fiverr keeps a part of the tip for themselves.

• Like 2
  • Up 4

1 hour ago, kristynastar said:

The real issue for me is Fiverr saying it's customary to tip once the project was delivered and accepted. The seller did not ask but looks like Fiverr is asking me to tip. That is a huge turn off for me. I have had it up to my eyeballs with the tipping culture right now. 

You can simply ignore it. You do not have to tip in any way. Sellers unfortunately can't control that - I wouldn't do that myself, but Fiverr will do what they want. 

It doesn't even matter if this is "a restaurant" or not. If I go to a restaurant, I'll tip if I feel like it, and won't if I don't, and I couldn't care less for any "social pressure" to do it one way or the other. Then again, I'm not american, they seem to be way more sensitive regarding that topic - and that's why they end up in situations where they end up paying when they don't want to. It's very easy to just say "no, thanks".

Edited by visualstudios
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, kristynastar said:

I used Fiverr for the first time ever for a logo. The seller was great overall and no real complaints. Only thing that seemed odd is he priced out his 3 packages and than jacked up the price once I chose the package. When questioned he said it was the exchange rate. When I checked the exchange he was charging me more but did not question it. 

The seller gave me a price which we agreed to. This is not a restaurant. I think it's absolutely ridiculous that your asking people to tip. 

This may be my last time using Fiverr. 

Exchange rates can be a bit wacky though!

Fiverr also charges a fee that many people don't realise isn't set by the sellers. I've had  people ask me about it before. If you add potential taxes (I've seen it from some countries like Canada) the prices can really hike up without the seller changing anything! 

(Of course, they could have also changed the price, it's hard to know.) 

As for the tip, yeah... it's a bit bothersome as a buyer but it really is just a Fiverr thing. I'm not sure why they chose that wording but it's absolutely optional (though always appreciated by seller's.)

Edited by katakatica
  • Like 3

28 minutes ago, visualstudios said:

That has nothing to do with Fiverr, though. I get the money out in USD.

Same here. But buyers have their on currencies set usually. So for example now that I'm Sweden I have either euros or SEK set. Some countries have additional fees (Canada and India I think?) Fiverr also has their own fee. 

50 euros might end up being, I don't know, 900 kroner (SEK) (likely less but still) which as a buyer can be startling at best. 

I've had several buyers ask me about the extra fees so it can definitely happen that someone doesn't see how the order's price is structured. 

• Like 1
  • Up 2

21 hours ago, kristynastar said:

Only thing that seemed odd is he priced out his 3 packages and than jacked up the price once I chose the package.

Fiverr add a fee to the price shown on seller gigs.  It's either $2 or a %age - nothing to do with the seller *or* exchange rates.  I agree it's a bit naff that Fiverr doesn't remind you about the additional fee in a place where you can see it *before* you buy.