How does Fiverr Algorithm check if a new seller is good at his job or not?

uzzal32

Most new sellers want to know how the Fiverr algorithm determines if a new seller is good at their job. Or how will they prove their skills if they don't get orders?

Hope experts will give their opinions here and sellers will benefit from expert guidance.

• Like 13
  • Up 3
  • Insightful 2

It can't. (if they have no orders) 

From what I have seen, new sellers used to get the "Rising Talent" badge without even selling anything when they started out with outrageously high prices. So, Fiverr themselves probably favors new sellers with high prices. However, that might not be the best way to get buyers in the beginning.

Edited by vibronx
  • Like 15
  • Up 5
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, vibronx said:

Fiverr themselves probably favors new sellers with high prices.

Most new sellers want to attract buyers with lower gig prices than competitors. They believe that keeping their gig prices lower than competitors makes it easier to get customers. Also, many experts on this forum give this advice.

• Like 6
  • Up 1

17 minutes ago, uzzal32 said:

Most new sellers want to attract buyers with lower gig prices than competitors. They believe that keeping their gig prices lower than competitors makes it easier to get customers. Also, many experts on this forum give this advice.

And I didn't say otherwise.

• Like 7

25 minutes ago, uzzal32 said:

Most new sellers want to attract buyers with lower gig prices than competitors. They believe that keeping their gig prices lower than competitors makes it easier to get customers.

Honestly, none of them actually price their gigs strategically, too much work for their greycells it is. They just choose the LOWEST price.

Tomorrow if Fiverr allows $1 or $0.25 as lowest denomination, they will choose that also. 🥲

Nothing smart or strategic about being the lowest price seller. 

Edited by priyank_mod
  • Like 9
  • Up 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Insightful 1

21 minutes ago, uzzal32 said:

Something to consider is that a lot of people (and Fiverr, perhaps) might think 
"way too low  = less experience at what they do."

While this is not ENTIRELY true, a lot of new sellers do come here with 0 experience selling relatively easy things. I don't think Fiverr has a very good way to monitor this because of the huge amount of sellers, BUT seasoned buyers might be able to tell. 

I'm not saying it's good practice to overcharge - having a competitive rate to start with is important. But... it's also important to have realistic prices that don't sound like a scam. 

• Like 11
  • Up 1
  • Support 2

1 hour ago, uzzal32 said:

Or how will they prove their skills if they don't get orders

For some categories sellers have to prove their skills before they can create a gig in that category. See:

https://help.fiverr.com/hc/en-us/articles/10174705352081-Vetted-only-categories-for-sellers

Some categories need a seller to pass a relevant skills test before creating a gig there (though the skills test might not be perfect). Some categories restrict new gigs to Fiverr Pro sellers only.

Fiverr does do analysis of gigs, eg. using AI/statistical models, but that's probably mostly the text data, metadata, different fields, rather than images. And they do it at least for content moderation but if it was a writing gig then they (using their automated analysis) could potentially get an idea of their writing skills from how they wrote their gig descriptions and other parts of the gig.

For gigs in the graphics & design category, for all we know Fiverr staff could add some sort of score manually about the quality based on the gig galleries and portfolio images. Each gig goes into moderation when it's created so that's one place it might get a score (though gigs with bad descriptions etc. do get through somehow).

So for new sellers without orders it's probably mostly about what the potential buyer thinks after checking the gig and the galleries/portfolios if it's in the image editing section etc. Fiverr will be analysing the click through rates/conversion rates, and if almost no one clicks on the gig image or when they do they then go to another gig without ordering, the Fiverr system will then assume it's a less important gig and show it in a lower search position in future probably after the initial boost (that initial boost will be where it gets some click through & impressions stats about the gig).

If the buyer does contact the seller (and not order) then that's another thing the Fiverr system could analyse, to determine communication skills, conversion rate and what future search position it could give probably.

Edited by uk1000
  • Like 10

33 minutes ago, priyank_mod said:

Honestly, none of them actually price their gigs strategically, too much work for their greycells it is. They just choose the LOWEST price.

Tomorrow if Fiverr allows $1 or $0.25 as lowest denomination, they will choose that also. 🥲

I think the price of work should be reasonable. Those who try to attract buyers by offering low prices may be unknowingly undervaluing their work.

• Like 5
  • Up 1

53 minutes ago, uzzal32 said:

I think the price of work should be reasonable. Those who try to attract buyers by offering low prices may be unknowingly undervaluing their work.

No, they do it knowingly. 

There are many people who know that they aren't as skilled as they claim to be. They are selling for a very low price because they think what they do is worth that (and not more), but people who need quick/cheap solutions will go for it. The same amount of money can be worth very different things in different countries, so they are hoping to get by on a small amount of money - but people want MORE than the cheapest thing they can get most of the time. 

• Like 6
  • Up 2

2 hours ago, priyank_mod said:

I can tell you this: As a Businessowner bymyself I would never buy the cheapest. I still order alot of Freelance work, I even give chance to Freelancer with 0 Order and 0 Reviews but I would never buy from someone who is going for minimum GIG price..

• Like 9
  • Up 2

2 hours ago, katakatica said:

There are many people who know that they aren't as skilled as they claim to be.

I agree with you. Ignore them, because they will not do well on any platform until they can improve the quality of their work. But for those who have really good skills but are new to this platform, do you have any advice that they can follow and hope to do well?

• Like 7