Revisions done right

Revisions are a crucial phase that can make or break the freelancer-client relationship. Here are some tips to help you master the revision process:

Clarify revision limits
To properly manage your client’s expectations, it’s important to clearly communicate the number of revisions included in your gig price before beginning any order. If you plan to charge for additional edits, inform them of the fee upfront. Setting these parameters from the very beginning can help avoid misunderstandings and will allow you to advocate for yourself should any revision conflicts arise in the order process

Check-in
It’s always a good idea to check in at least once before the final delivery. Use these check-ins to share your progress and gather initial feedback. This way, you can pivot if necessary, rather than completing the order only to find the client is unhappy with the final product. 

Maintain your professionalism
When a client offers feedback and revisions, don’t take it personally. It’s more about what the client needs for their project than the quality of your work. Always stay committed to your client’s satisfaction by acknowledging their feedback and making the requested edits. Summarize the changes made, and invite them to review and share additional feedback. 

I’m interested to hear about your experience. How do you ensure a smooth sailing revision process? What are some of your main do’s and don’ts?

Share your tips and insights with the community below. 

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Kesha said:

I’m interested to hear about your experience. How do you ensure a smooth sailing revision process? What are some of your main do’s and don’ts?

Thank you @Kesha for all this info. I do have a question, do extensions affect our success score? Because at first it was said they do, then I am pretty sure I saw another Fiverr representative saying they don't anymore. 

I am asking because that's important not only for me, but a lot of sellers here. Sometimes revisions are mandatory, even if there's nothing wrong with the work we deliver, because the buyer either doesn't have time right now, or he wants to do a more thorough check. It would be unfair to be penalized just because we allow buyers more time. I can see a penalty being there for people that end up asking for 5+ revisions or extensions, but 1-2 revisions shouldn't be an issue. 

As for how I handle revisions, I always try to listen to my clients and see what's wrong. Thankfully, I always try to take orders from clients after I talk with them first. That way, you remove a lot of the unknown factors and you get a very good idea of what they expect from your work. That's how I managed to lower the number of revisions I receive, although as I said earlier, some of them are unavoidable..

• Like 21
  • Up 1

49 minutes ago, donnovan86 said:

I always try to take orders from clients after I talk with them first.

This helped me a lot to complete orders successfully, even I discuss project before getting order if I'm sure I can fulfill client's requirements.

• Like 18

10 hours ago, donnovan86 said:

do extensions affect our success score

It would be beyond unfair! We have no control about the revisions or the time required to complete each order. 

- Some Buyers open revisions just to make questions or to postponing the order by requesting revisions without any detail.

- Some Buyer's combine the "Extend the Review Time" with "Request Revision" in a loop to make the order pending for one month and beyond.

Outside of Seller control, @Kesha

• Like 13
  • Up 1

On 7/12/2024 at 5:44 PM, donnovan86 said:

Thank you @Kesha for all this info. I do have a question, do extensions affect our success score? Because at first it was said they do, then I am pretty sure I saw another Fiverr representative saying they don't anymore. 

I am asking because that's important not only for me, but a lot of sellers here. Sometimes revisions are mandatory, even if there's nothing wrong with the work we deliver, because the buyer either doesn't have time right now, or he wants to do a more thorough check. It would be unfair to be penalized just because we allow buyers more time. I can see a penalty being there for people that end up asking for 5+ revisions or extensions, but 1-2 revisions shouldn't be an issue. 

As for how I handle revisions, I always try to listen to my clients and see what's wrong. Thankfully, I always try to take orders from clients after I talk with them first. That way, you remove a lot of the unknown factors and you get a very good idea of what they expect from your work. That's how I managed to lower the number of revisions I receive, although as I said earlier, some of them are unavoidable..

Hi @donnovan86 and @shahzadaseo!

I'm happy to help clear this up for you two.  

The biggest focus of the success score is whether or not the buyer has a positive buying experience.  

There will be times when completing a revision will help to contribute to an overall positive experience for the buyer. However, if you are consistently having to make revisions and the buyer starts to get upset that you're missing crucial details, these revisions could lead to a negative impact to your score. 

• Like 11

3 minutes ago, Kesha said:

There will be times when completing a revision will help to contribute to an overall positive experience for the buyer. However, if you are consistently having to make revisions and the buyer starts to get upset that you're missing crucial details, these revisions could lead to a negative impact to your score. 

Thank you. I was assuming multiple revisions would be problematic, so I am glad you cleared things up a little bit. I generally tend to have a single revision, maybe 2 at most. 

• Like 12

47 minutes ago, donnovan86 said:

Thank you. I was assuming multiple revisions would be problematic, so I am glad you cleared things up a little bit. I generally tend to have a single revision, maybe 2 at most. 

I read that as there definitely being a chance that multiple revisions, AI reading the interaction aside, could impact your scores. 

• Like 9

1 hour ago, mandyzines said:

I read that as there definitely being a chance that multiple revisions, AI reading the interaction aside, could impact your scores. 

The way I read it is that if you are asked for multiple revisions, it does become a problem. But even if you have 1 revision listed, people can ask for dozens if they want to. 

• Like 8
  • Up 1

On 7/15/2024 at 9:20 PM, vickiespencer said:

I describe what is included in a revision in my FAQs. My revision policy is also stated in all of my custom offers and the delivery. 

Love the repetition here. This is a good approach to make sure each buyer is well aware of what to expect.  

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

On 7/12/2024 at 3:26 PM, Kesha said:

Check-in
It’s always a good idea to check in at least once before the final delivery.

Is this a part of the 'communication' score thing we get? If we don't check in (i.e., if it's a simple revision that is done quickly and doesn't require updates) are we penalized somehow? Does "It's always a good idea" from Fiverr staff mean that we must do it?

• Like 7

Question: Why buyers have been blessed with the option to "request a revision" button infinitely even if the seller has set a limit while sending a custom offer?
I recently went through this situation when a buyer kept saying you're not getting the colors of the design right... I told him that this the exact same color from your reference image. He pressed that "request a revision" button 8 times just because he "THOUGHT" it wasn't the same color. Finally, he realized (I think) his mistake and accepted the delivery with a good review + tip. 
And now I'm getting very low impressions on my gigs (even the promoted one), so did the buyer cause this situation (8 revisions)?

• Like 6

What do we do with customers who abuse the revision button? Just this week I had a customer request a revision without any feedback or details I could use to improve the work. When I pressed them, they responded with what effectively amounts to "I don't know, I just don't like it" and then had the gall to demand a cancellation. I have denied the cancellation and not heard from them since, but I expect to see an unfair public and private review even if I successfully "win" the money (and even if I allow the cancellation, they STILL get to leave a negative review so I'm screwed either way).

• Like 6
  • Up 2

On 7/17/2024 at 9:59 AM, melanielm said:

Is this a part of the 'communication' score thing we get? If we don't check in (i.e., if it's a simple revision that is done quickly and doesn't require updates) are we penalized somehow? Does "It's always a good idea" from Fiverr staff mean that we must do it?

For quick orders, it's not absolutely necessary. The main take away is to make sure your buyer remains in the loop with what's going on with their order.

• Like 7