Picking the right freelancer: vetting for communication skills

Kesha

When working on your project, we understand the importance of finding a professional freelancer who can execute your vision with both precision and excellence. Though there are hundreds of freelancers to choose from on Fiverr, finding the perfect fit doesn’t have to feel overwhelming. Start with considering a freelancer’s seller level and analyzing their profile. From there, the final step is to vet them for communication skills.

Effective communication between you and a freelancer is the baseline of every successful order. So how do you do that? We suggest that before placing an order you should exchange a few messages with the freelancer. This will not only help you analyze their communication and comprehension skills but it will also set you up to hire with confidence.

Here’s how to vet your sellers for communication:

1. Shortlist potential sellers- Once you have analyzed their level and profile, it’s time to narrow down the top 3 to 5 sellers you wish to work with.
  2. Craft a first message- To streamline your selection process, take time to craft an initial message that will be sent to each of the potential sellers. This should include a detailed brief that outlines everything the freelancer should know about your project. When writing your brief, be as descriptive as possible and address things like samples, timelines, scope, etc. This initial message should also include a few vetting questions to help you decide if they are the right fit. Examples include:
  • How long will this take?
  • Is the vision realistic and feasible?
  • What will be the cost?
  • What do you need to get started?
  • How frequently during an order will you update me?
  1. Evaluate their response- Once the seller responds, consider the following:
  • Response time- Often, one of the marks of a seller’s professionalism is how quickly they respond to inquiries. While immediate responses may not always be possible due to different time zones, a reasonable expectation is a response within 24 hours.
  • Comprehensiveness- Consider whether the seller addressed all parts of your message. Did they answer every question or selectively respond? Did they personalize their response based on what you asked, or was it a generic message? Did they ask you for information that you already provided? Evaluating these things will help you gauge a seller’s attention to detail.
  • Understanding your needs- Based on the seller’s response, consider if you trust that the seller is clear on exactly what you’re looking for. Do you feel confident that they grasp your vision?
  • Capability- An enthusiastic seller does not always equate to a capable seller. Pay attention to your seller's responses to try and gauge if they sound confident in their ability to execute the project. Ask yourself if they seem to have the expertise and know-how required to complete your project successfully.

Evaluating your seller through these steps can help ensure you’re choosing the best fit for your project. Follow these steps and you’ll be on your way to a match made in Fiverr heaven!

Still need additional assistance in finding the perfect freelancer? Our Fiverr Advisors are here to help. To connect with one, simply schedule a call by clicking: https://go.oncehub.com/CustomerSuccessManager. You can also reach out via email at buyer-success@fiverr.com.

• Like 10
  • Up 2

On 7/5/2024 at 9:38 PM, christyeral4382 said:

Is there protection for buyers? I'm new and looking for someone to set my TikTok shop up. How do I know the person won't take my login information and change the password and keep my account? Sorry if not the right place to ask but I'm very leary and know a lot of things are scams these days. 

Hi there!

That's a great question. I wrote a post addressing this that I think might be helpful for you.

Hope this helps. 

• Like 1