Advice for newbies--Beware of scams!! Read this first!!!

Here's what happened. I'm a newbie. I just registered an account and received a message from someone claiming to be a Fiverr customer service, reminding me to verify my payment account through the QR code in his picture.

image.png.d2c667e7d1314d544b62e0df31a33be6.png

At this point I had no idea it was a scam account, the avatar, the name, everything was so reasonable, and Fiverr did not filter the account out for me!

amberji233.webp.b0815329892d429897c1e7d40f229b60.webp

Everything just happened like that. I used my phone to scan into the website (because Fiverr also scanned in to verify the account phone and ID information at the beginning, which made me not suspicious). After I was deducted more than $1000, I became a little suspicious and asked them to refund me or I would not verify again. Then I sent a message to ask a support request. Three days later I got a reply that this was really a scam!

image.png.6c0964eff832ae890aee789fea30df6b.png

Everything on their website looks so real! Except for that damn verification page, everything else is real!

and the url:  https://fiverr.help-activate-shop.com     /        order/           64135026    Never click!

This experience has made me very depressed. I need to make at least $1000 on Fiverr to make up for my losses and make me happy 😭😭😭

If you have any picture editing needs, you can contact me at any time, the best service😭😭😭

Reminder again! Beware of scams! ! ! !😭😭😭

• Like 5
  • Sad 3

Posted (edited)

We've asked on the forum since months ago for Fiverr to prevent people changing their display names to "Support Fiverr" or other display names with the word Fiverr in (though the fact it was "Support Fiverr" rather than "Fiverr Support" might have been a clue that it wasn't legit).

Hopefully one day Fiverr will stop them doing this to help prevent this fraud. The usernames also seem to be in a similar format each time. The Fiverr logo that they've put in their profile also doesn't look like the real one (the colours look a bit different).

@Lena could this be reported to the right Fiverr staff/the developers to put a check in to stop people adding "Fiverr" to their display name please to help prevent this?

Maybe like was also suggested on the forum, Fiverr could send a message to all users (or all new ones) warning about the scams and what to look out for.

Edited by uk1000
  • Like 6

1 minute ago, uk1000 said:

We've asked multiple times on the forum, for months for them to stop people changing their display names to "Support Fiverr" or other display names with the word Fiverr in (though the fact it was "Support Fiverr" rather than "Fiverr Support" might have been a clue that it wasn't legit).

Hopefully one day Fiverr will stop them doing this to prevent this fraud. The usernames also seem to be in a similar format each time. The Fiverr logos that they've put in their profile also don't look like the real one.

@Lena could this be reported to the right Fiverr staff/the developers to put a check in to stop people adding "Fiverr" to their display name please to help prevent this?

It definitely feels like we've been saying this for a long time now. 

People are losing money every day and not much is being done. My most recent post got buried (which is fine... but I tried to help.) but the main issue (other than display names) I think is still the fact that the main site doesn't have a spam guide (that is easily reachable and not in the middle of the TOS.)

• Like 2
  • Up 3

1 hour ago, secrettea said:

I received this message too, almost clicked the link.. along with 83 (I counted) spam messages in less than 24 hours… is it normal ?

I was also surprised at the amount of spam they have, from the time I signed up till now (just a few days) every single message has been spam.

• Like 5

I've been on Fiver for 3 years and have never been contacted like this, I've always had great experiences although I do most of my work outside of Fiverr from clients I get from referrals I have always enjoyed doing extra work on Fiverr. Recently I've been more active on Fiverr as I want to make it my main channel for work. Yesterday I received a similar phishing scam. The user messaged me claiming they were struggling to make an order on my new gig. I am currently focusing on gaining more work on Fiverr and added a new gig in the morning, so even though it seemed odd I sent this user the email address. They then sent me this phishing email.

Screenshot(673).png.214745fca1c7aba9199578cc1cd916a3.png

I'm a developer so I can spot a phishing email from a mile away so i checked the sender address and it was from an @icloud.com address.

I did not open the link but it's important to be aware of these things because it's so easy just instinctively to click on something like this and be tricked.

If you're a new seller just keep an eye out for this kind of thing, fiver does a good job of blocking these accounts. Before I even got a chance to report it the account was banned.

• Like 2

I also received this kind of message today but not by fiverr support team but a client. She said she would tell me her project later but she deposited money to fiverr and asked me to scan a QR code below to receive that payment.

Though, I was aware of such scams but still I scanned that QR code which led me to a website with similar interface to amberji233's pictures.

It asked for my details but I did not give any and deleted all my internet activity, ran multiple malware scans and changed my fiverr login credentials. After like an hour, the fiverr support team texted me that this user(scammer) cannot be contacted.

How should I feel now? Am I safe or still at risk? 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, sam_styles_ said:

How should I feel now? Am I safe or still at risk? 

You should be fine the QR code likely just redirected you to the phishing scam link. You were, however right to take precautions.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, secrettea said:

I received this message too, almost clicked the link.. along with 83 (I counted) spam messages in less than 24 hours… is it normal?

83 is crazy, although there seems to be more activity recently that does not sound normal. I wonder if this kind of thing is more prevalent depending on your niche

• Like 2