Handling spam messages

Kesha

7 hours ago, dereck_s said:

You want to fix spam? Make every new account cost 1-5 bucks (Fiver makes more money and spam dies overnight).

The reason why spam is so bad is because someone can make a ton of free accounts and spam nonsense before the system catches them. I've had "Pro buyers" give me spam before and they hadn't even made a purchase so it might help to actually have ... literally any requirements to have a pro buyer. A new seller might see a pro buyer and feel more safe clicking their links or interacting with them.

Great point @dereck_s! I have passed this along too!

• Like 21

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, dereck_s said:

You want to fix spam? Make every new account cost 1-5 bucks (Fiver makes more money and spam dies overnight).

The reason why spam is so bad is because someone can make a ton of free accounts and spam nonsense before the system catches them. I've had "Pro buyers" give me spam before and they hadn't even made a purchase so it might help to actually have ... literally any requirements to have a pro buyer. A new seller might see a pro buyer and feel more safe clicking their links or interacting with them.

It is a great idea to terminate/kill almost 99% of the spam messages by charging fees, scammers hates to pay, but they love to take other people hard earned money for no return.

This approach is really good IF Fiverr at the highest of the freelance mountain (and they are) + there is no one near to compete, this could solve a huge problem by creating another, I mean who could pay first to just get access to a freelance market without considering alternatives?, And then start spending?. specially if they've never heard of Fiver before.

Some freelance marketplace will rise up and take advantage of the situation by marketing against the core idea of fighting spams, example: Are you paying to just hire a freelancer? Sign Up It's FREE and so on, this could limit Fiverr ability for growth overtime and they know it.

The bright side is most of the seller will work comfortably with trust anticipating a new message as a new lead not spam and they will reconsider leaving the platform 10 times before making a decision.

The question is: Will Fiverr really consider locking the door like an ATM to protect its sellers?

Apologize for the long comment, I'm not hear to argue.

Edited by nitro86
typo
  • Like 14

2 hours ago, nitro86 said:

It is a great idea to terminate/kill almost 99% of the spam messages by charging fees, scammers hates to pay, but they love to take other people hard earned money for no return.

This approach is really good IF Fiverr at the highest of the freelance mountain (and they are) + there is no one near to compete, this could solve a huge problem by creating another, I mean who could pay first to just get access to a freelance market without considering alternatives?, And then start spending?. specially if they've never heard of Fiver before.

Some freelance marketplace will rise up and take advantage of the situation by marketing against the core idea of fighting spams, example: Are you paying to just hire a freelancer? Sign Up It's FREE and so on, this could limit Fiverr ability for growth overtime and they know it.

The bright side is most of the seller will work comfortably with trust anticipating a new message as a new lead not spam and they will reconsider leaving the platform 10 times before making a decision.

The question is: Will Fiverr really consider locking the door like an ATM to protect its sellers?

Apologize for the long comment, I'm not hear to argue.

So the only 2 heavily marketed competitors are Upwork and Freelancer. Both of which require you to pay to communicate to a potential buyer. In some situations you can get a certain amount of their tokens for free for example upwork gives you 10 for free each month but that barely covers the cost of a single message so you couldn't spam as a seller. For the buyers anyone can see info about the buyer such as if there information and payment info has been verified. 

The point is the other 2 real alternatives give you additional info to self assess if the buyer is a scam or charge money preventing the scam in the first place.

• Like 17

11 hours ago, dereck_s said:

The point is the other 2 real alternatives give you additional info to self assess if the buyer is a scam or charge money preventing the scam in the first place.

Yes, any of those could make the scammers journey pointless from the first hour without a real impact on real buyers and sellers.

If Fiverr didn't implemented this in the near future, this could mean that Fiverr is making money from it.

A marketplace with open windows, if the lock is placed on these windows, they could lose a percentage due to a small lazy group who flee the site once asked for a verification.

It's really a percentage game, are they worth losing? if you asked me, if less than 5% of the overall new joins in 1 year spend on their first day are lost in exchange for safety and peace of mind? Yes.

• Like 12

Hi, I am Sadia. I have been freelancing for the past 5 years and recently joined Fiverr in May 2024. I received three different scam messages and reported them to Fiverr. Is it correct to report scams to Fiverr?

• Like 11

4 hours ago, sadiajamal745 said:

Hi, I am Sadia. I have been freelancing for the past 5 years and recently joined Fiverr in May 2024. I received three different scam messages and reported them to Fiverr. Is it correct to report scams to Fiverr?

Hi! Yes, please continue to report any spam messages as they come. This will help us crack down on the issue. 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Kesha said:

Hi! Yes, please continue to report any spam messages as they come. This will help us crack down on the issue. 

I'm sorry to be so direct but this is getting out of hand. 

There's at least 5 new 'is this fake'/ I got scammed' posts daily and that's only people who find the forum.

Is there anything we can do to help? I made a post but I know it was still too much writing likely. It's just scary to see such an amount of people losing money (yes, they should be smarter but still...)

• Like 10
  • Up 6

Honestly I created my first gig less than 24 hours ago and I received 84 spam messages. Sometimes it looks real and I engage just to find out it’s spam. I am mentally exhausted and I clearly did not come here to signal spam all day long.

Does it stop? Is there something done about that?

• Like 13
  • Sad 2

I am new here. I'm also getting spam messages. It looks real but sometimes getting spam notification. How can identify spam and real messages in inbox?

How can stop the spam messages?

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, secrettea said:

Honestly I created my first gig less than 24 hours ago and I received 84 spam messages. Sometimes it looks real and I engage just to find out it’s spam. I am mentally exhausted and I clearly did not come here to signal spam all day long.

Does it stop? Is there something done about that?

It does stop eventually once you manage to get some orders I think. As a TRS I still get a good amount of it but not 84 a day! 

I think new sellers (and new gigs) are targeted because they look the easiest targets...

• Like 11
  • Up 2
  • Thanks 2

15 hours ago, secrettea said:

Honestly I created my first gig less than 24 hours ago and I received 84 spam messages.

I got the impression that translators seem to get more spam than others.

• Like 13
  • Up 1

I created my account last night and today I already got my first message - well, not from buyer, from scam spam.

The sender have the "SupportFivver" name in it and they first message only one word before sending QR code to "give us ur credentials".

The country from where they are appears as Netherlands and the date the account created JUST as mine, last night.

Screenshot_8.png

• Like 9
  • Up 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, malkaruxd said:

The sender have the "SupportFivver" name

@Kesha How this stupid scammer manged to get what's supposed to be a negative keywords in the filter system (If there is any)? Could anyone register as AdminFiverr too? This reveals so much.

Suggest to the tech team to include some cocktails:

Fivvre
Fivvrr
Fivrer
Fivrerr
Fiveer
Fiveerr
Fivere

I don't believe what I'm saying now.

• Like 11

I'm new to selling on Fiverr and have a question about fees. Does Fiverr charge a fee every time we receive scam messages? Since my gig went live, I've only encountered scammers. I'm concerned about paying fees for these interactions while trying to make a living.

• Like 8
  • Up 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for sharing this informative post! It's helpful to have all these spam red flags in one place. Especially the part about Fiverr customer support never contacting you through your inbox - that's a good one to remember. I've always wondered about that.

• Like 11