Something has to be done about the amount of scam (and spam) on the site

I've been thinking a lot about this lately - because I do realise that people who open accounts on Fiverr need to be internet savvy. However, the more I think (and read posts), the more I feel like the site has only gotten worse when it comes to managing spammy/scammy users, which is an issue for multiple reasons. 

Tldr.: Spam s*cks.

Speaking strictly as a seller who has been on the site for a while, I still get bursts of messages (usually 4-5 at a time and the 'buyers' click on my gigs through promotions, so I'm losing money) that want to bait me into following them to telegram. I also have received a suspicious amount of people demanding samples from me (not the regular 'hey, can I see your previous work' kind, but the 'sample?' kind, only to turn out to be other writers... 

Now, as a buyer, whether someone uses AI to produce their content or not isn't 100% clear in many cases, which could lead to problems. I'm currently trying to publish a book (soon). If I stumbled into an AI artist who lied about their art being made by them, I could get into trouble potentially! Of course, it's on us to make sure that we screen sellers, but it's certainly difficult on such a highly saturated market, especially if a new buyer is misinformed about the site. Fiverr aims to show that the marketplace is full of professionals. I'm not particularly surprised that some people think that anyone they choose will do a great job. 

The biggest issue, however, that I've noticed lately is that there are people claiming to be from Fiverr scamming new sellers. Honestly? I believe this is unacceptable. Sure - newcomers have to read the TOS (and be aware that clicking on weird links CAN be dangerous), but I really think something has to be done. When the site has such strict rules in the TOS, wouldn't you expect it to manage the inbox well as well? People can just register with a random name and set their display names to Fiverr - that's just not okay!

Sure - sellers (and buyers) need to be smart. A lot of people are gullible (and learning vigilance is very important...) But I really feel like something needs to change. It's one thing for one person to fall for a scam, but we see several people on here (regarding all three of these issues, honestly.) There has to be a way to make sure that new buyers and sellers who go in blind (which, shouldn't happen, to be fair) get some sort of support.

Now.. what could help?

For now, I'm team 'notify people about what's going on'. Fiverr already sends loads of emails and notifications (I literally got one about how I've worked with a buyer for two years and two months now...(?) just today. Something along the lines of 'we are aware that X is happening. Know that CS will never contact you in your inbox' could suffice. Or... why not make an internet safety webinar? It's all small things, but it could truly mean the world to people who could get fooled otherwise. Ideally, of course, the site could crack down on some of these issues (I think targeting people who pretend to be from Fiverr shouldn't be so hard!), but any little could help!

(The fact that in 2024 people are STILL getting scammed is a whole other thing, but... language difficulties, cultural differences, etc. probably play a huge role in that.) I think some sort of support could be very useful. 

(sorry for the lengthy post. I've been wanting to write about this (though I've done it before, I'm sure.) Maybe we can find a solution that works? 

• Like 5
  • Up 7
  • Thanks 1

1. Multiple people have advised already about not allowing anyone to use Fiverr name or logo anywhere in the user id, display pic and gig images. Not sure what technical limitations stopping Fiverr from implementing this. 

2. They can add a learning essentials video which educates people about scams and other stuff. May be make it mandatory for people to watch the video (twice at least!) before approving their gigs. Video can even have subtitles in multiple languages for better comprehension. 

3. Again many people have advised this already - have a banner or notification on top of the dashboard which warns and educates people about how not to get scammed

• Like 7
  • Up 2

4 minutes ago, priyank_mod said:

1. Multiple people have advised already about not allowing anyone to use Fiverr name or logo anywhere in the user id, display pic and gig images. Not sure what technical limitations stopping Fiverr from implementing this. 

2. They can add a learning essentials video which educates people about scams and other stuff. May be make it mandatory for people to watch the video (twice at least!) before approving their gigs. Video can even have subtitles in multiple languages for better comprehension. 

3. Again many people have advised this already - have a banner or notification on top of the dashboard which warns and educates people about how not to get scammed

I'm assuming part of it is wanting to save face (I know this is rough to say, but...). Accepting the fact that there are serious issue on the site (the same goes for all the nasty bugs as well, like the one that didn't let people rate sellers 5 stars on the many inbox display ones) and being vocal about it might definitely make some people more worried when spending money (or working) on here, but... when the alternative is people (often desperate people who NEED money) getting scammed, well... 

I think it'd be better to be more transparent 

I like the idea of the video!

I'd even be happy to help design some comics (or similar) that are funny but explain what to do / what not to do.) There's many ways to remain professional but still warn users of what might happen.

• Like 4
  • Up 2

I think what REALLY annoys me is spam coming under my own PROMOTED gigs. I'm literally paying to get spam.

I understand that most of the people who make these spam messages just do not understand how Fiverr works. Saying that there should be some barriers to stop this from happening so regularly.

• Like 1

i also got this instant promotion buys that put me in a really bad mood and situation, with no previus talk is supper hard to develop a good game, with a bad review at the end with no answer from the client to help to get it better... also im starting to get a lot of scammers constantly talking to me about nothing and getting angry if i dont respond, i assume this are actually other freelancers trying to demote my response rate, because some times it makes nonsense, and there is no way to ban a client, or to lock it, since making a complain will trigger an AI saying that i'm the problem and that i should ask politely to stop, but we know that won't help at all. 

it really feels impotent when this happens and you don't have any tool to defend.

41 minutes ago, kingpirux said:

i also got this instant promotion buys that put me in a really bad mood and situation, with no previus talk is supper hard to develop a good game, with a bad review at the end with no answer from the client to help to get it better... also im starting to get a lot of scammers constantly talking to me about nothing and getting angry if i dont respond, i assume this are actually other freelancers trying to demote my response rate, because some times it makes nonsense, and there is no way to ban a client, or to lock it, since making a complain will trigger an AI saying that i'm the problem and that i should ask politely to stop, but we know that won't help at all. 

it really feels impotent when this happens and you don't have any tool to defend.

I've had a lot of issues with clients from the game industry in general as well (not everyone though of course!)

I think part of this can be chalked down to how people think making games (simple ones) can make them rich. There's no passion present, they just want quick hard cash which.... is not how it works. 

I've honestly been just marking everything that feels like spam as spam (messages only of course.) So far it's worked but it's definitely not something that will always work. 

(It's a bit off topic, but I've also noticed a HUGE increase in people who just don't answer for weeks even with the deadline near this year. It's been really hard because I either get dinged for extending the order too long for no real reason OR because I don't delivery right on time...)

In general, I think some sort of support system is needed... and CS doesn't seem to be enough. 

I think they're focusing more on building algorithms with flaws than the real problems that need attention. This is not Good, when someone promotes by paying and gets a scammer. Literally paying to get scammed. Not good at all!