What do I do when the client didn't understand the initial scope of work and keeps asking for revisions ?

aziza1992

Question

Hello, 

I have a question regarding a client asking for continuous revisions. I've never had problems with clients before this one and I've always tried to get good reviews and provide client satisfaction. Unfortunately, I think we've all had "that client" that keeps asking for reviews.

This one contacted me for reviewing app designs and the delivrables were a report and comments on Figma for the designs. After making the initial detailed report (with analysis of each design over 20) and detailed recommendations, he requested a revision but his revision was to make an audit review of the new designs. Indeed, he took my report, improved the app designs and came back and requested a revision. 
He seems to not understand that the revision requests are on the delivrables and not on the designs itself. It took me 3 days to work on the first ones and not for much. 
He also keeps asking to make calls but his calls take a lot of time and that time is not charged. 

I've kept trying to explain to him that the requested revisions are not on the designs but the delivrables but he doesn't seem to understand. I also want to get paid for the work I've done. Can you help me ? What do you recommend I do please ?

• Like 5

4 answers to this question

2 hours ago, aziza1992 said:

What do you recommend I do please ?

Firstly, do not deny revisions at all. Do not even try to do that -- otherwise, things won't end in your favor. Instead, simply ask for an extra amount (x) for the additional work & revisions that are outside the scope. If the buyer genuinely does not understand, try explaining calmly and professionally how things work here. As you mentioned that you also have calls with the buyer, it will be even easier to clarify things.

On the other hand, if the buyer is intentionally exploiting you (even after knowing clearly that things are going outside the scope), start collecting evidence (screenshots or screen recordings), make a detailed PDF explaining what was included in the order and how things are going outside the original scope. Sometimes buyers do not take things seriously in small texts, but when they see a well-detailed and explained PDF, they start to take things seriously, knowing that the seller is well aware of the rules and can not be exploited.

In the worst-case scenario, contact customer support before the buyer does to avoid any sudden cancellations. This works most of the time -- if you contact and explain things before the buyer misleads customer support.

2 hours ago, aziza1992 said:

He also keeps asking to make calls but his calls take a lot of time and that time is not charged. 

If it's not mentioned in your gig that you offer calls and if you didn't make any commitment to the buyer before the order was placed, you can simply deny that, saying that you're not comfortable and your schedule doesn't allow calls. It's that simple! However, I personally think that taking calls would be much better and more efficient to resolve any issues, rather than texting in chats. So, be transparent with the buyer and be communicative. Just do not fear to put your point in front of the buyer.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, aziza1992 said:

Thanks a lot for the clarification. Indeed I already tried being very communicative and explain what the order includes and why it is outside the scope of work. As for calls, indeed, I completely agree but with some buyers, I find myself having to present and detail everything that's already written and it ends up taking time that could be dedicated to work, that's all ! 

What you can do is prepare a PDF/image mentioning your own set of rules and guidelines and send it to buyers before they accept the custom offer. I have made my own set of rules clarifying things like "Ownership and Rights", "Scope of Work", "Revisions during order time," and "Revisions after order completion." Likewise, you can also create such guidelines and clearly tell your buyer that by accepting the custom offer, they are confirming to abide by Fiverr TOS and your guidelines. You can write your own set of rules regarding your availability, working hours, limited hours of calls, etc. (Sky is the limit, so add anything).

image.png.129c035758108be4afbcc753e55944c8.png

When I first started sending out these guidelines, I was afraid that I would lose many clients as they might find it uncomfortable to accept such terms (where they are bound to very limited things and can't exploit me). Surprisingly, until now, not even a single buyer has shown any concerns with this. I have only one cancellation in months, and that was because the buyer had a family emergency, so I refunded the entire amount willingly to support him a bit financially.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, rawque_gulia said:

Firstly, do not deny revisions at all. Do not even try to do that -- otherwise, things won't end in your favor. Instead, simply ask for an extra amount (x) for the additional work & revisions that are outside the scope. If the buyer genuinely does not understand, try explaining calmly and professionally how things work here. As you mentioned that you also have calls with the buyer, it will be even easier to clarify things.

On the other hand, if the buyer is intentionally exploiting you (even after knowing clearly that things are going outside the scope), start collecting evidence (screenshots or screen recordings), make a detailed PDF explaining what was included in the order and how things are going outside the original scope. Sometimes buyers do not take things seriously in small texts, but when they see a well-detailed and explained PDF, they start to take things seriously, knowing that the seller is well aware of the rules and can not be exploited.

In the worst-case scenario, contact customer support before the buyer does to avoid any sudden cancellations. This works most of the time -- if you contact and explain things before the buyer misleads customer support.

If it's not mentioned in your gig that you offer calls and if you didn't make any commitment to the buyer before the order was placed, you can simply deny that, saying that you're not comfortable and your schedule doesn't allow calls. It's that simple! However, I personally think that taking calls would be much better and more efficient to resolve any issues, rather than texting in chats. So, be transparent with the buyer and be communicative. Just do not fear to put your point in front of the buyer.

Thanks a lot for the clarification. Indeed I already tried being very communicative and explain what the order includes and why it is outside the scope of work. As for calls, indeed, I completely agree but with some buyers, I find myself having to present and detail everything that's already written and it ends up taking time that could be dedicated to work, that's all ! 

Thanks again !

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, rawque_gulia said:

What you can do is prepare a PDF/image mentioning your own set of rules and guidelines and send it to buyers before they accept the custom offer. I have made my own set of rules clarifying things like "Ownership and Rights", "Scope of Work", "Revisions during order time," and "Revisions after order completion." Likewise, you can also create such guidelines and clearly tell your buyer that by accepting the custom offer, they are confirming to abide by Fiverr TOS and your guidelines. You can write your own set of rules regarding your availability, working hours, limited hours of calls, etc. (Sky is the limit, so add anything).

image.png.129c035758108be4afbcc753e55944c8.png

When I first started sending out these guidelines, I was afraid that I would lose many clients as they might find it uncomfortable to accept such terms (where they are bound to very limited things and can't exploit me). Surprisingly, until now, not even a single buyer has shown any concerns with this. I have only one cancellation in months, and that was because the buyer had a family emergency, so I refunded the entire amount willingly to support him a bit financially.

Oh wow ! That is really a great idea ! Thank you for the tip, I think that would be really helpful especially if you can add to it everytime a situation like this happens ! Of course it has to be in harmony with Fiverr's TOS like you said ! 

• Like 5