How to say no to a buyer?

sharminslucky

Question

3 answers to this question

1 hour ago, sharminslucky said:

What is the best way to say No to an offer / buyer as a new seller though the gig description matches with the job requirements but  I am not interested to this specific buyer.

I find that the best option is to express gratitude by thanking them for considering your services, but that this opportunity isn't something you can take on at the moment. If possible, I try to tactfully explain why. I will also try to recommend someone else that might be a better match for them if I can, and wish them best of luck with their project. If your reason is that the buyer is horrible (this happens!), just skip the reason. 

Something like this: 

"Thank you for getting in touch! I really appreciate the effort you've put into considering me for your project.

After giving it some thought, I've concluded that I might not be the best fit for your project due to [reason].

I’ve included a link to some search results for other sellers who might be a perfect match for what you need.

Best of luck with your project, and thanks again for considering me!

Best regards,

[Name]

• Like 3
  • Up 6

@smashradio has some great suggestions.

If the issue is a bad customer, I usually say "I'm so sorry, I won't be able to take this on right now" and leave it at that. If they get belligerent with you, which I have had happen, then I just block them. Not sure if that effects my stats, but I dont care in this situation.

And fair warning, I have had people place an order straight through a gig after I told them I wasn't comfortable with recording their content. In that situation, to avoid a hit to my stats, I completed the order immediately and then blocked them once the order was completed, since they don't know how to take "no" for an answer. 

• Like 4
  • Up 2

2 hours ago, aubergine07 said:

@smashradio has some great suggestions.

If the issue is a bad customer, I usually say "I'm so sorry, I won't be able to take this on right now" and leave it at that. If they get belligerent with you, which I have had happen, then I just block them. Not sure if that effects my stats, but I dont care in this situation.

I often feel like just typing "No." and blocking them, but I've found that politeness can be beneficial down the line. One time, a guy reached out and he gave me a bad vibe. But, my ultra polite "No" apparently impressed him so much that he referred a colleague to me a few months later, who ended up becoming a regular customer and earned me thousands.

2 hours ago, aubergine07 said:

And fair warning, I have had people place an order straight through a gig after I told them I wasn't comfortable with recording their content. In that situation, to avoid a hit to my stats, I completed the order immediately and then blocked them once the order was completed, since they don't know how to take "no" for an answer. 

Fortunately, I haven't had many customers like that, but whenever I get a bad feeling, I enable RTO before sending the message. Stops them in their tracks. 

• Like 3