Best laptop for using MS Word?

skyebry

Question

Greetings! I am a new seller for proofreading, and I find that several of my clients and their publishers prefer to use Microsoft Word (while I prefer Google Docs). I am in the market for a new laptop, and I figured I would look for one that seems to work best for using Microsoft Word to serve my clients better. What laptops have you found that work well with this (the desktop version, not the online Microsoft 365)? Thank you so much!

• Like 6

4 answers to this question

Posted (edited)

Hello

Realistically, any laptop can use Microsoft Word. 

Set a budget and go for the best laptop that you can within that budget. You don't need a lot of resources to run Word, even the newest one has these requirements:

Windows 10, Windows Server 2019, or later.
1.1 GHz or faster, 2-core.
4 GB RAM.
Graphics hardware acceleration requires DirectX 9 or later, with WDDM 2.0 or higher for Windows 10 (or WDDM 1.3 or higher for Windows 10 Fall Creators Update).
4 GB of free hard disk space.

So if you have anything over these requirements, it should be fine. However, if you want to do other work or use any other specific app that's more resource-heavy, going for a newer laptop never hurts. Set your budget, find the best laptop to fit that budget and also read some reviews, don't randomly buy one 🙂 Perform your due dilligence first 🙂

Edited by donnovan86
  • Like 6
  • Up 3

As a followup to the message from donnovan86, I concur with his comments.

Personally, I use a Lenovo IdeaPad Slim 5, with 16GB RAM, with Windows 11 Home OS, and AMD Ryzen 7 7730U with Radeon Graphics (2.00 GHz). 

I find it more than adequate for handling the Microsoft suite of products, including .doc and .docx extensions.

• Like 6