Gig image looks stretched in search view

radio_mark

Question

Hello, I am a new Fiverr user getting ready to publish my account.  However, I noticed when I switched back to buyer mode, I saw my thumbnail in my recent searches.  It looked squished, as it had been stretched horizontally.  I used the correct 1280x769px format.  The images look great in my gig preview. 

I have noticed this horizontal defect in some other published accounts with a weird stretched search image, but the main images are fine once you click on the gig.   

Some gigs do not seem to be stretched on the search page.  What am I doing wrong?  Do I need to try another aspect ratio?  I have tried both jpg and png at 1280x769.   Thank you for your help!

• Like 2

3 answers to this question

10 hours ago, radio_mark said:

Do those dimensions look okay in the main gig page and also on mobile?  I have also reached out to CS for help.  Really appreciate your response.  This has been so frustrating to me!  I don't want to launch a page with a bad image and then have to change it, because I assume (from what I have read) is that I will lose points with algorithms if I tinker with my gig too much.   

Yeah, they work for me but nothing's perfect. I try to keep elements within an invisible border so they show up on all devices, but you never know when Fiverr might change the aspect ratio in one place but not in others.

No, you won’t “lose points” with the algorithm for editing your gig. If the edit improves your gig, you might even gain some points.

Changing images/videos might take your gig out of rotation for a bit (minutes to hours at worst in my experience) but I’ve never had that happen to me, and I edit my gigs often.

Most of those myths—like always stay online, don’t edit your gig, delete the gig and start over—come from people who haven’t had much success on Fiverr because they underperform, so they make up excuses and reasons why their terrible gigs, offering the same thing as 40,000 other sellers, aren’t at the top of page one.

The keys to success on Fiverr, in my experience after a decade on the platform, many of those years as a Fiverr Pro and Top Rated seller, are:

• Be skilled at what you do
  • Don’t claim to be skilled at something you’re not
  • Remember that you're acting as both support and a pro for hire
  • Always deliver on time
  • Under-promise and over-deliver
  • Make sure you know and understand what the buyer needs before beginning the work. Ask questions. 
  • Be detailed and specific in your gig description, FAQs and custom offers, so the buyers know what they're getting. 
  • Avoid negative surprises when you can
  • Make the process simple for your buyers
  • Keep buyers informed about progress and respond quickly to any concerns or questions
  • Deliver top-quality work
  • Under-promise and over-deliver
  • Gradually increase your rates as you rise the ranks (but never start at the bottom, so don't charge 5 bucks)
  • Don't offer unlimited revisions. 
  • Read and understand the terms and community guidelines before you do anything. Re-read them often. 

That’s really the core of it in my experience. There's more to it than that, of course, like having something to offer that people actually wanna buy, but if you follow that list you should be on the right path. 

Edited by smashradio
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, radio_mark said:

Hello, I am a new Fiverr user getting ready to publish my account.  However, I noticed when I switched back to buyer mode, I saw my thumbnail in my recent searches.  It looked squished, as it had been stretched horizontally.  I used the correct 1280x769px format.  The images look great in my gig preview. 

I have noticed this horizontal defect in some other published accounts with a weird stretched search image, but the main images are fine once you click on the gig.   

Some gigs do not seem to be stretched on the search page.  What am I doing wrong?  Do I need to try another aspect ratio?  I have tried both jpg and png at 1280x769.   Thank you for your help!

Try using 1650x1110 px. That resolution works well for me. But unfortunately, Fiverr uses different aspect rations across the site (the website is like a patchwork at this point) so you just have to try with different sizes and styles until you find one that looks ok across the site. You're not the first person to have this problem. If all else fails,  you could always reach out to support and see if they have some updated advice on gig thumbnails. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, smashradio said:

Try using 1650x1110 px

Do those dimensions look okay in the main gig page and also on mobile?  I have also reached out to CS for help.  Really appreciate your response.  This has been so frustrating to me!  I don't want to launch a page with a bad image and then have to change it, because I assume (from what I have read) is that I will lose points with algorithms if I tinker with my gig too much.   

• Like 3