How To Avoid Having Your Best Selling Gigs Ripped-off and Copied

Guest qloudpress

Guest qloudpress

What’s your advice for the best way to protect your gigs from those FRAGGLEROCK-holes who rip off your best gigs and steal the customers your image/video/copy wins? Please don’t moan and groan in here about those who ripped you off already ~ just contribute with your best ideas to make a difference. Together we can defeat these FRAGGLEROCK-ing numpties and stick it to those dishonest FRAGGLEROCK-ards.

Guest qloudpress

WATERMARK YOUR IMAGES/VIDEOS

In all your images or videos, make sure you watermark them clearly with your logo, name or gig URL. This way they are less likely to be ripped off.

Guest qloudpress

CREATE GOOGLE ALERTS FOR ALL YOUR GIGS AND IMAGES

Every time you post a gig or change the content, go to https://www.google.com/alerts# and create two alerts by entering the important part of the headline for one alert and the name of the image or video used in the gig for another. You will be surprised at how many times these FRAGGLEROCKards simply copy the whole gig verbatim.

Then sit back and let Google tell you who’s ripping you off.

Just simply stealing your images or pics won’t make them top rated seller here for sure. They must provide quality work to survive. I am not saying that stealing someone else’s content is right. But those who simply copy and paste others just can’t succeed.

But the answer to your question is, Fiverr can have an algorithm to find out the duplicate contents. But that would be a difficult job because so many people sells exactly similar types of things.

Guest qloudpress

Reply to @technoaholic: Supposing I wrote an IFTT script that took my Google alerts and fired off an automatic email to CS alerting them, and I made this script available to share on IFTT.com ~ do you think that might A) get their attention, B) make them realise how important this is to us, and C) get them to do something about it?

Guest qloudpress

Reply to @technoaholic: If CopyScape can do it for the whole Internuts, why can’t Fiverr provide a similar service for Level 2 members and above? I mean, how hard can it be when you own the platform?

Reply to @qloudpress: A large watermark over images might put buyers off, so I’m thinking I’ll add a copyright notification to each of my slides. It’s a crime to remove copyright notices in things, so the threat of that legal action may further deter infringement. Might be a good idea.

© Copyright YOUR NAME 2014(Year of creation). All rights reserved. The removal of a copyright notice is a crime.

Reply to @qloudpress: It’s may not be that difficult for them. I guess they already have such kind of algorithm. But as many sellers provide similar types of gigs, most of the gigs will not pass for having similar gig descriptions.

Also they have got a business interest here. As long as they get a decent amount of revenues from that particular seller, they may not delete the particular gig or account against your complaints as a seller, unless there is a major issue with TOS.

Guest qloudpress

Interesting that you should mention TOS because Fiverr’s state “We wish to remind that Fiverr.com’s content is based on User Generated Content (UGC). Fiverr does not check user uploaded/created content for violations of copyright, trademarks or other rights”, which is still a long way from checking duplicate content, but still, I carried on reading.

Then I found this “Note that It is our policy in appropriate circumstances to disable and/or terminate the accounts of users who are repeat infringers”, so I got to wondering ~ what constitutes a repeat offender? Someone who copies just your copy verbatim, or who also steals your image? Or does he/she/it this FRAGGLEROCKhole need to do it more than once? As in in twice, or more than twice?

So I read on and I discovered, the word Customer was mentioned 14 times in their TOS but twelve of those were “Customer Support” and NONE of them mentioned protecting customers from fraudulent and deceitful gigs.

To me that seems like ~ at best ~ somewhat wrong-headed thinking, or at worst, a crime of omission.

Guest qloudpress

I’m want to publish the best of these in a “How To Avoid Having Your Best Selling Gigs Ripped-off and Copied” FAQ, and then ask Fiverr to make it available to everyone who wants it, perhaps in this forum and even wider. If you like the idea, please press the LIKE button on this thread. And don’t worry, I will contact you and ask your permission in here before I publish your idea.

I think contacting the customer support with the proper proof that you own the copyrights to the image or video that has been stolen will have an effect.

Internet is full of images which are free to use. I mean that your photo should not belong to that category or you must have to own the copyright.

Guest qloudpress

Reply to @arnevb: I am not sure its the “perfect” solution. The suggestion box seems to be full of semi-literate complainers and endless moaners ~ a bit like most threads on this forum. There doesn’t seem to be anywhere or any way to for us to constructively help ourselves; hence my suggestions.

Guest qloudpress

Reply to @technoaholic: Loading CS up more FRAGGLEROCK is what I am trying to avoid by searching for ways we can help ourselves. To me that’s what’s wrong with the country ~ any country ~ its always the government’s fault. We’re all getting too lazy and asleep at the wheel. Where’s that old fighting spirit?

Reply to @qloudpress: That they don’t check it doesn’t mean that they don’t care about it, so it may be a matter of contacting CS and stating the case. It sounds as if the gig will be removed and the offender put on a watch list, so I assume they would have to have been reported at least twice for doing it.

It may be that Fiverr is operating in a Bangkok marketplace kind of way, expecting buyers to know in the back of their mind that whatever they buy in some way may turn out not to be the real deal. :

Guest qloudpress

Reply to @rockerbabe: You know what? I thought about it, and I doubt if these FRAGGLEROCKholes have either the intelligence or ability to edit them. From what I have seen so far, they cut and paste the whole FRAGGLEROCKing gig, as-is, including the image title. Now how lazy and stupid is that?

I haven’t had this issue on fiverr yet but i have had big issues with my custom software and scripts being stolen and sold. There is really no sure way to prevent, all you can do is minimize the risk and come up with lss effortless ways of detection.

I used to run a crawler that checked for my material in search engines automatically then it saved the results as links in a private database. Then i just sent the sites where my content was found and confirmed a dmca complaint.

Best would be if fiverr implemented a database check for plagiarism against existing gigs upon gig creation but on a site this size the checking would put an incredible strain on the server so i doubt thats even an option.

Archived