scam file

uwoondd

Question

I published my first gig and received a file, I was careless so I clicked it and it was a scam proposing me to send my work to their telegram. I'm worried that I might have gotten a virus from carelessly clicking the file, should I be?

• Like 2

1 answer to this question

14 hours ago, uwoondd said:

I published my first gig and received a file, I was careless so I clicked it and it was a scam proposing me to send my work to their telegram. I'm worried that I might have gotten a virus from carelessly clicking the file, should I be?

I don't think you need to be very alarmed at this.

This sounds like a classic Telegram scam, only done with a document instead of a message, most likely because Fiverr has become good at picking up on those messages. If so, you should only be alarmed if you gave them any personal information or contacted them via Telegram. 

But just to be on the safe side, a virus scan can't hurt. If you're running Windows, just use Microsoft Defender to scan your system, and delete the file after you're done. 

I would also change my passwords and make sure you have 2FA activated everywhere. 

But like I said: I don't think the goal of this is to send you a virus, but to get you to contact them via Telegram so they can phish for personal information there. 

Edited by smashradio
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1