Voiceover Gig Extras

jafluddartwrite

Question

I’ve been looking at some of the people who do voice-over work through Fiverr and there is something I’d like to ask.  I see people charging additional fees for things like Commercial Rights, Full Broadcast Rights, and National Broadcast Rights, on top of the actual voice work itself.  And they are charging multiples of 2, 3, 4, and on up for them.  Am I getting it right that they are selling the voice work and also selling rights to their clients to use their provided voice work in advertising and broadcasting, and that they’re selling the rights to use their work for a specific number of times?  Exactly how does that work?  Is there a document, like a contract, that they draw up for the client to sign?  What does such a thing look like?  Where does it come from?  Do the voice artists create these documents themselves, or use a template or some such thing?  Where would such a template be found?  I haven’t actually gotten started doing voice-overs yet; I’m not set up yet.  But this aspect of it is something I’m just noticing on Fiverr now.  Whatever help you can offer, I’d quite appreciate.  

• Like 5

2 answers to this question

16 hours ago, jafluddartwrite said:

I’ve been looking at some of the people who do voice-over work through Fiverr and there is something I’d like to ask.  I see people charging additional fees for things like Commercial Rights, Full Broadcast Rights, and National Broadcast Rights, on top of the actual voice work itself.  And they are charging multiples of 2, 3, 4, and on up for them.  Am I getting it right that they are selling the voice work and also selling rights to their clients to use their provided voice work in advertising and broadcasting, and that they’re selling the rights to use their work for a specific number of times?  Exactly how does that work?  Is there a document, like a contract, that they draw up for the client to sign?  What does such a thing look like?  Where does it come from?  Do the voice artists create these documents themselves, or use a template or some such thing?  Where would such a template be found?  I haven’t actually gotten started doing voice-overs yet; I’m not set up yet.  But this aspect of it is something I’m just noticing on Fiverr now.  Whatever help you can offer, I’d quite appreciate.  

Each voice-over actor have their own ways of doing things, but it's pretty standard for us to offer two types of rights: commercial rights for general business use and broadcast rights for when the work is meant for bigger audiences, like on TV or radio.

In the U.S., it's not unusual to have separate deals for nationwide broadcasts, say, for a TV ad that's going to be shown all over the country.

When a client needs more than one script, that's when you usually see multiples coming into play. For example, they might need two different scripts for two different projects.

We often set a time limit on these rights (I don't) like allowing the use of the voice-over for just one year. After that, they would have to pay for the rights again to continue using it.

If you're thinking about rights on Fiverr,  you're covered by the terms of service. See "11.1 Voice Over Commercial Buy-Out" here for more info: Fiverr's Terms of Service

But if you're not using Fiverr and are going solo, you'll need to sort out your own contracts for this stuff. Fiverr VOs price their services by the word + usage rights, but in different markets, you would go by pricing depending on project type instead.

An example that many like to follow in the US (I'm not American) is the GVAA rate guide:

GVAA Rate Guide | Global Voice Acting Academy | Voice Over Coaching & Classes (globalvoiceacademy.com)

It gives you an idea of the going market rates for different types of voice over services (in the US). Your country might have something similar. 

If you're sticking with Fiverr, though, don't worry too much about this, because the terms of service covers you regarding rights packages. If you're selling VO services outside of Fiverr too, you might want to look into contracts. If so, just Google it and you'll find resources for that. 

The whole idea of selling rights separately is to make it clear that your gig price is just for the studio time. Then, if the buyer wants to use your voice in different ways, they pay extra for the rights based on what they're planning to do with it.

And as I said, each voice actor have their own way of doing things, so your mileage may vary. 

• Like 4