Money Stolen.

Got a sale and fiverr asked me for all my card info afterwards asking me for like 30 codes that were going to be sent to my phone's number. They took 200 USD from me and now they want me to create an account on Revolut to "return me the money" because they said they can't refund me via my bank account. I've been 2+ hours with customer service that is only being actually mean to me, already cancelled all my day's appointments to resolve this and they are not helping me. Asked then to go the easy way that is just getting the refund by PayPal but they are stubborn on not doing it. 

I don't have too much money, getting 200 dollars for me can take me like 2 months and they just stole the money I got by hard work, they already won, hope this doesn't happen to anyone of you in the future. 

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, emmaki said:

Scammers must have a field day on this platform. 

I'm honestly amazed at how a line taken out of context in a conversation could (potentially) harm our accounts, but scammers are finding more and more ways to fool newcomers. The double standard scares me. 

• Like 4
  • Up 2

Yeah, Fiverr does need to do a bit more about this, but it has more important things at hand now, like making sure sellers only have 4.9 star reviews to look more trustworthy. And making explainer videos about how simple and easy the new review system is to understand and use (I haven't seen it, but apparently that's a thing on the new front page, which I am guessing will become fully public on the 14th). 

They could at least stop people using the Fiverr logo as their profile picture or using Fiverr or any variant (including obvious/subtle typos/misspellings). As it is, between here and reddit, it's clear to me that scammers are making a killing off of newbies who just believe that is how Fiverr works. It's also rather worrying how little self-preservation some beginners have - and there's nothing anyone can do about this except the beginners themselves. Horse to water etc.

• Like 4
  • Up 1

7 minutes ago, emmaki said:

It's also rather worrying how little self-preservation some beginners have - and there's nothing anyone can do about this except the beginners themselves. Horse to water etc.

Hate to say this but we are in 2024 and still, people so easily provide their card/internet banking details on the websites they just signed up at!! 🥲

Such scams were acceptable in early 2000s when people were new to online banking but now we all (supposedly) know better. 

Fiverr has all the tech to ensure the integrity of sellers, I hope they deploy it to bar anyone from using their logo and variants of brand name in the account name, display pics and.... yes on gig images too!! 

• Like 6
  • Up 6

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/13/2024 at 12:45 AM, priyank_mod said:

Hate to say this but we are in 2024 and still, people so easily provide their card/internet banking details on the websites they just signed up at!!

There are many young, like 21-23 year old, sellers on this platform who are new, and they never faced such problems before in their life. You cannot expect them to know what older people know. They never experienced the tactics used by scammers ever.

I believe most people who get scammed are young people or ones who are senior people.

I hope I don't offend you or anyone else.

Thanks!

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, fahadislamjuel said:

There are many young, like 21-23 year old, sellers on this platform who are new, and they never faced such problems before in their life. You cannot expect them to know what older people know. They never experienced the tactics used by scammers ever.

I believe most people who get scammed are young people or ones who are senior people.

I think it's the opposite. Younger people are more versed with technology when compared to older ones. I think those over 40, 45 are particularly vulnerable here. But I can also see very young people, under 20, getting scammed.  Regardless, when you create an account on a platform which handles your money, you need to be very careful when it comes to what you click on, where those links come from, etc. 

• Like 2
  • Up 4

On 3/12/2024 at 10:03 PM, paulo_sambuceti said:

They took 200 USD from me and now they want me to create an account on Revolut to "return me the money" because they said they can't refund me via my bank account. I've been 2+ hours with customer service that is only being actually mean to me, already cancelled all my day's appointments to resolve this and they are not helping me. Asked then to go the easy way that is just getting the refund by PayPal but they are stubborn on not doing it.

It doesn't seem you're talking to a fiverr support mate.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, fahadislamjuel said:

I hope I don't offend you or anyone else.

Thanks!

I was about to reply but then read @donnovan86's reply, who pretty much shared the same thought I had in mind!!

Someone elderly I'm acquainted with lost $2500 to a phone scammer last year who had cloned the voice of a known person. Generally, around the world, older people fall for scams easily (this one originated in my own country).🤦‍♂️ 

Edited by priyank_mod
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, fahadislamjuel said:

I agree with this. Both boomers and zoomers are likely to fall for scams. https://www.vox.com/technology/23882304/gen-z-vs-boomers-scams-hacks

I don't believe zoomers generally are as tech-literate as they are made out to be, especially when it comes to computers.

• Like 6