Extension system doesn't work **Repost

Can someone please explain how I need to properly manage my deadlines with the client? 

SCENARIO #1

Due date is on Mar 5

• Made many revisions; Client happy and we are almost done, but  2 hours left to the deadline.
  • I try to extend the due date by 1 day since I know it's a final revision and we are soon done. (The new due date is March 6 if client approves, if they don't it's still March 6 but in 2 days... 🤦‍♀️).
  • Client didn't approve the extended due date even tho I explained, and they don't mind.
  • On March 6, past the deadline, the extension is pending automatic approval, but client wan't to wrap this up.
  • I prepare the files for delivery, But I CAN'T deliver them... 
  • I Need to cancel the pending extension first, since the button is dimmed
  • I canceled the extension, to deliver the project and now it's late since it's March 6

Conclusion: The order is late, and there is nothing you can do.

SCENARIO #2

Due date is on Mar 5

• It's Mar 2. You have completed the project and sent it to the client for a showcase.
  • The client hasn't logged in for 3 days.
  • A couple of hours before the deadline, you opened an extension request until Mar 8.
  • Client is still IDLLE. Extension was automatically approved in 48h
  • But now it's Mar 7 and you are past due date.

SCENARIO #2 (But this is with active client)

Due date is on Mar 5

• Made many revisions; Client happy and we are almost done, but  2 hours left to the deadline.
  • You requested an extension on Mar 5 until Mar 8 (Don't ask me why, I'm trying to make the examples simple so I don't have to write poems)
  • The client didn't approve the request, even though you explained, even though they said they didn't mind and would approve it... This happens really often!
  • Extension was automatically approved in 48h
  • But now it's Mar 7 and you are past due

There are a bunch more details; if you really need them, I can go into more depth. But I've read everything, done lots of testing, and there just isn't a good way of handling this. Please explain if I'm missing something. I really want to make this work.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Scenario 1 -

You delivered the first time within the deadline. The order is not late, revisions don't matter, why would you send an extension request.

Scenario 2 -

You delivered the first time within the deadline. The order is not late, revisions don't matter, why would you send an extension request.

Scenario 3-

AN ORDER IS ONLY LATE IF YOU DELIVER THE FIRST TIME AFTER THE CLOCK RUNS OUT. Simple.

• Like 2
  • Up 5

17 minutes ago, visualstudios said:

Scenario 1 -

Scenario 2 -

Scenario 3-

AN ORDER IS ONLY LATE IF YOU DELIVER THE FIRST TIME AFTER THE CLOCK RUNS OUT. Simple.

You will soon see your "Quality of Delivery" stat under 4.7 if you continue delivering the project to clients before you make sure they are happy with the product. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, cecilialorsten said:

You will soon see your "Quality of Delivery" stat under 4.7 if you continue delivering the project to clients before you make sure they are happy with the product. 

That's what revisions are for. My success score is 10, so I seem to be doing it right.

• Like 1
  • Up 3

2 hours ago, visualstudios said:

That's what revisions are for. My success score is 10, so I seem to be doing it right.

Have any of your revisions been submitted past the original due date? Is your overall rating (stars) also 5?

Edited by mandyzines
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, mandyzines said:

Have any of your revisions been submitted past the original due date? Is your overall rating (stars) also 5?

Almost all my revisions are, of course, submitted after the original due date. Hundreds of them so far. 

It's insane to think that it could ever be otherwise, since I cannot control how long the client takes to get me revision notes. They can even extend the revision period. It would be totally impossible to have revisions taken into account in terms of order deadlines. 

I control the time it takes me to deliver. So I can offer a delivery date. I don't control how long clients take to get back to me with revisions, or how long revisions will take. So I can't offer a delivery date for revisions.

The time I give the client is the time to first submission. I ensure I have all the needed information before I start, to get it right the first time around as much as possible, and I try to have a fast turnaround on revisions, but I never had a single complaint about deadlines when the order goes past the original date due to revisions.

My overall star rating is 4.9, but was already 4.9 prior to the new system, so it made no difference. I've sent extension requests a couple times, usually because the client delayed information/assets I needed to make the first delivery. Never for revisions.

Edited by visualstudios
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, visualstudios said:

This is your account:

image.png.142681a8b850f227b8ada9ef36b3f519.pngAnd this is your main gig:

image.png.6f07d5770b1192bec1d9300247c34be4.png

I have been delivering for years, also. However, I found out a couple of days ago that if you deliver the order and the client doesn't like the initial delivery, they can select the option in their revision to indicate that they are 'Dissatisfied with the quality.' That's why both you and I have this issue. I want to only deliver the project after I'm 100% sure the client is happy with the work. That's why I want to make sure the extension system works.

These stats sometime show and sometimes they are hidden. Try inspecting your gig with VPN. 

Good luck! Even if there were a way not to use the Extension feature, my concern would still be the flaws with the extension system.

• Like 2