Platform-wide rating drops: thoughts?

donnovan86

I was browsing Fiverr today as usual, and I quickly realized that Fiverr has dropped ratings across the board for all gigs. You will rarely see gigs that have 5 star, as you can see from the image below, we now have things like 4.95, 4.88 and so on. 

image.jpeg.b9f98c491814b9aa92d2b42d2b23cf86.jpeg

I am sure it's an experiment and it didn't show in all browsers I tried. But it's clear they are implementing it soon. And it's also clear that the review system is here to stay, since it definitely helped Fiverr have wayyyy less 5 star reviews. In fact, from the dozens of gigs I checked, only those with under 100 reviews were still able to keep 5 stars. 

Thoughts?

• Like 15
  • Up 2
  • Thanks 1

And by the way, for those wondering, this appears in Google Chrome for now, at least for me. Other browsers still show the previous gig average. However, it's clear that this system is implemented and my assumption is that it will most likely be what we will see starting with March 15th. So if you want to see your new gig scores, just paste your gig's link in Chrome. 

For me, the system seems to heavily penalize older gigs, because newer gigs have a higher chance of getting that 5.0 score. From what I checked, the majority of people have 4.95 or under, at least those with hundreds or thousands of reviews. 

• Like 12
  • Up 1

I see. It still shows to me. So it's most likely an experiment. Still.. considering Fiverr's direction and their recent changes, I can definitely see this becoming a thing after mid-March. They did say the new rating and level system are modified in iterations so.. this might be the final change. I found this while checking my main gig and seeing that it doesn't have 5.0 anymore, instead it had 4.95. Not a huge dip or anything, but I was curious and checked a multitude of other gigs, and they all had decimals. That's why I shared a screenshot. 

• Like 11

5 minutes ago, catwriter said:

Me, too. If there are too many 5 star gigs, this is a logical solution.

Honestly, I checked multiple categories and most of them don't really have a 5 star review on the first page, unless that gig has under 50-100 reviews. But older gigs.. bye bye 5.0 ratings 😄

• Like 7
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, donnovan86 said:

I was browsing Fiverr today as usual, and I quickly realized that Fiverr has dropped ratings across the board for all gigs. You will rarely see gigs that have 5 star, as you can see from the image below, we now have things like 4.95, 4.88 and so on. 

I love it. A change that makes sense!

I don't see this change while using Google Chrome, but I know exactly what it looks like! For years, I've had an Excel file where I track the competition in my niche with the number of reviews each has and the weighted averages to which I've added automatic formatting with colors. It's super reliable.
If you want to know where the "super" translators who are fluent in 10 languages are, look for the orange and red cells 😉

I was only tracking a handful of competitors, but a few days ago, I expanded this "study" to many more competitors. It's very interesting 😉

I'm sharing an excerpt from my table with the number of reviews and the weighted average. This table confirms that sellers with many reviews manage to achieve a very high weighted average.

average.JPG

Edited by carineb
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, carineb said:

I love it. A change that makes sense!

image.jpeg.0cfd2fadda76687916bc9b7768c94223.jpeg

Here's the average I see for your profile. I have a 4.94 average, and I had no idea if I was closer to 4.90 or 5.0. At least now I know. 

Yeah, I was randomly selected for the test I think, but it's nice to see the true averages of people and not 4.9 or 5 approximations. I am sure the success score will eventually be changed to reflect this because you know.. it makes sense. 

• Like 8
  • Up 1

2 minutes ago, donnovan86 said:

Here's the average I see for your profile. I have a 4.94 average, and I had no idea if I was closer to 4.90 or 5.0. At least now I know. 

Yeah, I was randomly selected for the test I think, but it's nice to see the true averages of people and not 4.9 or 5 approximations. I am sure the success score will eventually be changed to reflect this because you know.. it makes sense. 

I track my competitors, and I also track myself 😉 For me, I find 4.8 or 4.9 depending on the gigs I count (those that are on pause or not, and the reference period). What you see is indeed correct.

• Like 8
  • Up 2

13 minutes ago, carineb said:

For years, I've had an Excel file where I track the competition in my niche with the number of reviews each has and the weighted averages to which I've added automatic formatting with colors. It's super reliable.
If you want to know where the "super" translators who are fluent in 10 languages are, look for the orange and red cells 😉

I was only tracking a handful of competitors, but a few days ago, I expanded this "study" to many more competitors. It's very interesting 😉

@carineb This is freakinnnnnnnn incredible and actually makes your competition quite transparent for you!!🙌😇

I'm just...

Mind = Blown: Trending Images Gallery (List View) | Know Your Meme

• Like 10
  • Up 1

16 minutes ago, donnovan86 said:

image.jpeg.0cfd2fadda76687916bc9b7768c94223.jpeg

@donnovan86 Can you see it for other categories too?? 👀 Sorry, I'm quite curious and feeling very inquisitive!! 🙈

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, priyank_mod said:
5 minutes ago, donnovan86 said:

image.jpeg.0649589948d62a46e33ea42d99738f39.jpeg

Your general score. First gig has 4.99, the second one 4.93.

Expand  

Thank youuu...!! 🙌

My Excel file confirms that you have 4.97 😁

priyank.JPG

Edited by carineb
  • Like 8

It would be nice if adding one more decimal to the visible public rating were the only change in the public ratings. But, as Kesha said in the other post:

"we're currently testing adjustments to the public rating score calculation, which may impact your public rating score in the coming weeks. [...] The new public score calculation incorporates historical private feedback, aiming to reflect client feedback more holistically and enhance the reliability of ratings as a decision-making tool."

So, if I understand this correctly, the public rating will become a combination of public and private rating.

Edited by nadiappp
  • Like 6

• 2 weeks later...