Improving Your English May Result in Doing Well on Fiverr

vickiespencer

Since many Fiverr Forum users are non-native English speakers, and poor English could have an adverse effect on a seller's Fiverr success, I thought I would start a thread to help Forum member improve their English.

One common error has been the use of effect vs affect. Here is a visual to help:

Screenshot2024-01-28at10_55_16AM.png.d4d72df6fd4cd49eea2ed9651e4e43a0.png 

Many times these three get confused:

Screenshot2024-01-28at11_07_57AM.png.dc733b2155b1ef6e9c3c58dbd309f90d.png   Screenshot2024-01-28at11_08_15AM.png.bc4f63ab819cfee1ab5111ce44aa3899.png

But the error I see the most is confusing message with massage:

MESSAGE:  Screenshot2024-01-28at11_13_08AM.png.36d236d60d356208120e8d52023a87ec.png    MASSAGE  Screenshot2024-01-28at11_16_28AM.png.44d775e6f763020a2dfa3f6765965c88.png

Everyone is welcome to add their own visuals to help others learn English more fluently. 

Edited by vickiespencer
  • Like 30
  • Up 11
  • Thanks 2

• vickiespencer changed the title to Improving Your English May Result in Doing Well on Fiverr

For many of them, this won't help either because they can't copy text from your images and then put the copied text into translation software. They see your images and they just don't fully understand the text.

This is also a reason why you see a lot of language errors in their gig images. The text in their gig images is no longer text and therefore Grammarly, for example, can no longer detect and improve the text.

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, sripra9007 said:

Great thread. 

@vickiespencer Just noticed this post is in "Seller Plus Premium" category only, moving/posting it outside could help the bigger audience.

I noticed that and asked @imagination7413 to move it. But she does not have that power so she asked  @Lena to move it. Hopefully that will be done soon. 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

If you translate Bangladeshi to English, you'll notice that Fiverr is always Fiber. I concluded that the language doesn't have a v sound, and likely no awkward digraph to represent the alien sound. This is far from the weirdest spelling of Fiverr. Last time I looked it up on Semrush there was an incredible variety of spellings! Translate would also be responsible for the odd use of "knock" in places where nobody knocks in English and many other oddities. ChatGPT's a much better translator in that respect, but it also adds a ton of florid roboprose, which is not so great. Honestly, I'd rather have my daily knock of fiber, which is in theme with the overall "authenticity" and "genuineness" that is the big influencer buzzwording this year (some have apparently cottoned onto the fact that everyone thinks influencers are twits). 

Still, it seems a bit weird to me not to notice the rather obvious difference in spelling in the logo plastered everywhere on the site you (try to find) work. It's not a complicated word that changes a lot. And I say that as someone living in a country with a non-English alphabet. But that just points to the not proofreading thing. Still, since I'm a lazy proofreader unless it's a job, I feel like I can't be too frowny about this without it coming back to bite me on the 🍑.

But I'm going to be frowny anyway. In any case, I don't think this post will have any affect on those effected by it. Bangladeshi Fiverr FB is quite interesting too. Success on Fiverr = leader of world business there. They might be right though. Look at the amazing quality of world leaders lately...

• Like 16
  • Haha 2
  • Up 5

Nice idea @vickiespencer
I believe, people who are really interested in improving their knowledge will find this useful, so it's a good topic to link when someone thinks it's needed.
By doing that, maybe a smart person could reconsider his/her English level, especially when few people suggested re-evaluating it.
Making a wrong self-evaluation is acceptable, but purposely trying to fool buyers is not.

I almost completed two months here on the forum and I learned many new things related to this platform.
To be honest, when I joined the forum I stumbled upon some replies that I considered to be a bit rude, and I wasn't really happy to read it because I was expecting a more relaxed and professional place where people were helping each other. But then, day by day, I got the reasons behind these replies, and I started to agree with most of them actually.

While I'm still waiting to get my first gig here I'm also trying to help people on topics where I can share my "outside platform" experience, but what I found is a very "funny" thing.

Some people open topics just to complain and steam off.
They ask for tips and never implement the given suggestions, seems like they want just the secret sauce served right away, but if you give 'em all the ingredients and the steps to try to replicate it, they won't do it cause it takes too much effort.
I don't know why they do that, maybe they are just influenced by video games where if you use a specific combination of keys you have infinite money, but here it doesn't work like that.
I think I made like 10 pretty long posts and in some cases, I never received a single reply, neither a "I don't think this is gonna work for me, thanks anyway".

So, to sum it up, if you are a professional, you're going to like these informative topics, otherwise, just keep showing that you are a lazy unprofessional seller who only likes to complain.

I don't know if I ever succeed on this platform, but the only thing I know is that I'm putting 100% of my efforts into it by reading and implementing the tips I read here, so thanks to the ones that are sharing their knowledge for free.

• Like 21
  • Up 5

47 minutes ago, edc_lab said:

I don't know if I ever succeed on this platform, but the only thing I know is that I'm putting 100% of my efforts into it by reading and implementing the tips I read here, so thanks to the ones that are sharing their knowledge for free.

Just keep up with your spirit and open-mindedness - you never know what magic tomorrow's sunrise will bring!! 📈⬆️

And to keep with the spirit of this topic:

While I studied in standard English Medium Schools growing up, my vocabulary & grammar were very basic. So, I decided to work purposefully and extensively on enriching my vocabulary during my graduation days. 😎

And I recommend this book to anyone who wishes to have a rich and healthy vocabulary.😇

Word Power Made Easy by Norman Lewis.

In my part of the world, its original copy costs barely $3 to $5 and I doubt it would cost more than $10 in any part of the world. 

image.png.403c9e40737ec8879f62546083a64648.png

• Like 20

"Gig" vs. "concert" is another common auto-translate error. Fiverr originally borrowed the term 'gig', which is (historically) a term in the music industry for a job. Thus the auto-translators fail to understand that a Gig is not a gig/concert. 

"Informal names for a concert include show and gig."

• Like 19

... There's a reason they were called 'mek-sels' in the depths of forum history...

Sale, sell, seller =/= sail, cell, cellar. 

Remembered an older thread that accumulated a lot of these: 
https://community.fiverr.com/forums/topic/243848-terms-to-not-use-on-the-forum-or-with-clients/ 

(I've got to clock in for my day-job, or I'd happily elaborate/explain the one I listed, and pick out the other ones mentioned in that thread.) 

• Like 17

3 hours ago, edc_lab said:

Some people open topics just to complain and steam off.
They ask for tips and never implement the given suggestions, seems like they want just the secret sauce served right away, but if you give 'em all the ingredients and the steps to try to replicate it, they won't do it cause it takes too much effort.

I have been here for going on 7 years, and those types of posts have always been here. They are the reason why ⬇️

3 hours ago, edc_lab said:

To be honest, when I joined the forum I stumbled upon some replies that I considered to be a bit rude, and I wasn't really happy to read it because I was expecting a more relaxed and professional place where people were helping each other. But then, day by day, I got the reasons behind these replies, and I started to agree with most of them actually.

I felt the same as you when I first joined the Forum.  But after reading the posts of people who want the tips and "tricks" but do not want to put in the effort to get the "knocks", I became jaded like everyone else who makes those rude honest replies. 

• Like 18
  • Up 2