COMMUNICATION SKILLS

doctorzikria

Hi mates, I have almost around 80 orders completed but still find sometimes difficult to communicate effectively ending up in getting the price which I think is lower as compared to what I deserve. So what shall be the proper communication skills? 

Need Guidance from seniors

• Like 15
  • Sad 1

Hi @doctorzikria,

When I first started on the platform, I also found myself getting talked down on my price, so I tried the following and it seemed to help:

1. Set higher prices. Whatever I wanted to list my prices at, I would double the price (I found out that I was underestimating the time it took to complete the job - by half). Doubling my prices was actually closer to the amount of time that it really took to do the job. It also allowed some wiggle room for me if I did allow myself to be talked down. Raising my prices frequently over time also helps me to make sure that I get paid what I'm worth. Within my first three months on the platform, I raised my prices by over 3X what I first started out with.

2. Refer customers to my gig prices as much as possible. In the beginning, I would get talked down if I allowed custom offers. So I would just direct customers to order from my gigs if they were interested. Now, I can just refer to my gig prices when I create my custom offers.

3. Set expectations early. Sometimes it's best to mention prices for your services early (to scare away the buyers that want it cheap). I also like to mention the highest prices first, because then buyers are really happy with the prices we eventually settle on. For example, through my e-course building gig, the highest quote I've ever given was for $20k. However, most of my clients are in the $500 - $1,000 range. Mentioning a higher price (with all the bells and whistles) makes the customer appreciative of any ways that you can find to save them money. Note, this is not a discount - they are saving by not purchasing all the bells and whistles.

4. If customers ask for a discount, don't offer it on the buyer's first order, unless you are offering to do less than a full order. Offer discounts if your buyer bundles services or makes subsequent purchases. I found out that most buyers (who get a discount on the first order) never come back for a second purchase.

5. Stay firm on your prices. Don't be afraid to refer buyers to other sellers if your prices don't work for them. There's no reason for them to haggle down your prices. If they really want to work with you, they will pay your prices. The worst thing you can do to yourself is take on an order at extremely low prices (and then have to turn away a customer who is willing to pay you your full price).

You might also want to download @Kesha's comprehensive guide on how you can streamline and improve your communication with your buyers from start to finish. This is a great resource for sellers who want to have smooth (and enjoyable) experiences with their buyers:

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

Hi @vickieitoThanks a lot for your time. Although my gigs are not so much highly paid the maximum I got till now is around 300$. That's why i fear if I set the price so high and lose some clients who have smaller work and i end up having no orders at all though iam having many good reviews on my gigs and working from last 1.5 years.

So in this case what Shall I do?

• Like 9

17 minutes ago, doctorzikria said:

That's why i fear if I set the price so high and lose some clients who have smaller work

Definitely read the articles shared by @imagination7413.

Also, don't be afraid to lose those clients - the only less-than-five-star review that I have came from a client who initially paid $15 for my work and she came back after a year (when my prices were set at $100 for the same work). She did pay the higher prices but the value for the money wasn't there for her anymore (and most of my old clients would never pay my higher prices). However, my newer clients are willing to pay that price.

Be appreciative of your old clients (because they helped you get to where you are at now). But don't be afraid to part ways and pick up newer clients who can pay you for what you are worth.

Edited by vickieito
  • Like 9
  • Up 2
  • Thanks 1