How to handle ongoing work

javawhisperer

Question

I'm still new and have not had an order yet, so maybe these questions will answer themselves in time. In any event I am curious about a couple things. I've had a couple prospective buyer ask suggest the possibility of ongoing work in the messages they sent. I do not see a clear way to handle that eventuality. Unless the answer is just to have the re-buy the Gig + Package is most appropriate each time they need more work done. Though that seems a bit tedious. 

Also, it is possible to edit a Milestone offer after it has been accepted and the a milestone is in progress? I can envision an offer where the first Milestone is "Review project requirements and produce roadmap", during which the remaining Milestones are defined.

Thanks for your time, 

• Like 6

2 answers to this question

How to handle ongoing work

Hi @javawhisperer, you can handle recurring orders in several ways:

1. Use a template. This is only available via the Fiverr app. Create a template for recurring orders for the buyer. This template can be customized for each order and will need to be sent out manually. However, I like this option because project scope often changes over time and this allows you to define that in the order requirements.

2. Use custom offers. When one order completes, send out a custom offer for the next phase of the project for the buyer to accept. This is also a manual process, but can be sped up by you using a pre-saved template (I keep mine in a Word doc).

3. Subscription orders. Buyers can buy subscriptions for recurring orders. Set the subscription frequency and Fiverr's automated system will send out the subscription orders to the buyer according to that set schedule. I don't like this because you can't modify each subscription order (if the project scope changes) and if one step takes longer (or shorter) you can move up or push back a subscription order. Sometimes I have 3 subscription orders at a time because each step takes longer than anticipated.

4. Milestones orders. Set up to get paid for each phase of your project. Like subscriptions, Fiverr's automated system will notify the buyer when to pay for the next phase. Also like subscriptions, you can't change the scope of the order once you set it (without canceling). However, the next milestone won't start until the preceding one closes.

Try these steps out to see what method works best for you and your buyers. I rarely use subscriptions or milestones because most end up in cancelations (the scope of work changes or our timeline changes, so I have to create new orders to capture these changes). I usually use custom offers and send these out manually to the buyer. It works better for me and creates fewer headaches for me and the buyer than subscriptions or milestone orders.

• Like 5
  • Up 1

Thank you for your response @vickieito, I appreciate the help and the ideas, plus pros & cons, for how to handle this scenario. I'll have to give it some thought and see what makes the most sense in my cases. 

It is interesting to note that Milestones cannot be changed once the offer is made. 

Thank you again!

• Like 3