Is it legal to directly reach out to clients Fiverr inbox?

nur_productions

Question

I randomly clicked on another gig offering the same services I provide. While exploring, I came across a video created by the freelancer delivered a work for a client. I believe I can offer superior services, so as an experiment, I entered the client's name into the URL and found access to their inbox. However, I refrained from sending any messages.

My question is whether it is legally permissible to contact the client directly and approach them regarding my ability to provide better services. I am seeking an answer from the Fiverr staff.
Please note that I have not initiated any communication throughout this process. If this is considered illegal, I assure you that I will refrain from such actions.

• Like 3

5 answers to this question

2 hours ago, nur_productions said:

I randomly clicked on another gig offering the same services I provide. While exploring, I came across a video created by the freelancer delivered a work for a client. I believe I can offer superior services, so as an experiment, I entered the client's name into the URL and found access to their inbox. However, I refrained from sending any messages.

No (I mean, it's against the TOS, like, just... straight out.) BUT I want you to imagine why. 

Think about it from a buyer's POV.

You just had an order delivered - you love it (or don't, who knows.) As you prepare to have another look on the site (or decide not to use it again/etc.), your inbox starts FILLING UP with other sellers offering the same thing (that you might not even need anymore.)

It goes from 'hy, I can hels' to 'hey, are you looking for another video for your project' and so on

Would you not feel that creepy as heck?

We aren't allowed to write to buyers for many reasons without them messaging us, but yeah, some people discover loopholes but... they don't last on the site for long.

(this was actually one of the major faults of BR back in time - if you were a seller, you'd get BOMBARDED by other sellers the second you were looking for something.)

So yeah, it's just... not okay. 

Wait for them to come to you.

(even if - you think - are better than the person they'd worked with before). 

• Like 5
  • Up 3

It's sort of mentioned in the TOS:

https://www.fiverr.com/legal-portal/legal-terms/terms-of-service

Please respect our members privacy by not contacting them with offers, questions, suggestions or anything which is not directly related to their Gigs or orders.

So it would be against Fiverr's rules so you would probably get an account warning if found out if you messaged them without them messaging you first. And you may get in trouble for circumventing the system (if there was no link there) if you did that.

• Like 4
  • Up 1

How did you get to the messages from a buyer's profile? That shouldn't be possible. Quite curious how that happened.

As for your question, it is legal in the sense it doesn't break any laws. You won't get sued or thrown in jail for doing it. That's what legal means.

It is, however, against terms of service.

• Like 5
  • Up 2

11 minutes ago, visualstudios said:

How did you get to the messages from a buyer's profile?

The system is just letting him send a message (not seeing theirs).

It seems he just copied the username and pasted it after the normal URL that's shown when you see other messages from users (see url in 2nd screenshot) - so removed the username from a message url from someone else and replaced that username with that buyer's one (eg. pasting it in).

Edited by uk1000
spelling
  • Like 3

Just now, uk1000 said:

he system is just letting him send a message (not seeing there's).

It seems he just copied the username and pasted it after the normal URL that's shown when you see other messages from users (see url in 2nd screenshot) - so removed the username from a message url from someone else past replaced that username with that buyer's one.

OMFG. Just tried it with yours, and it works. Had never crossed my mind. This is a big vulnerability, anyone can be contacted at any moment this way.

• Like 3
  • Up 2