What will be the next move by Fiverr to further complicate sellers' lives?

kokoha

What most people are aware of this year is that Fiverr has introduced a number of updates, which I personally think are detrimental to the sellers on the platform. These include allowing buyers to leave ratings on cancelled orders, removing the ability to block buyers (not in an easy way), and now changes to the rating system. Since this system was introduced, in addition to reviews with a 4-star rating, I've also noticed a drastic decline in received ratings, perhaps because it's too complicated for buyers to leave such ratings. What do you think will be Fiverr's next move to further complicate and add stress to the lives of its sellers?

• Like 32
  • Up 3

18 hours ago, zerlina84 said:

Don't forget the wonderful new feature where they can extend the review period without even asking us. Always great stuff!

yep, I completed a job that was apparently urgent and I accommodated the customer by delivering within 24 hours, that was 6 days ago, the job is still in review after the buyer extended review period with zero comments as to why.

• Like 13
  • Sad 5

On 12/19/2023 at 6:20 PM, vibronx said:

That buyers will be able to rate our pre-purchase communication without even ordering.

Being direct with my clients is important to me. This approach has led to mixed reactions - some find my blunt nature offensive, even going as far as to hurl insults. However, many appreciate my straightforwardness, seeing it as a positive trait and subsequently deciding to become my clients.

I can imagine this to seriously bring down my ratings... lol.

• Like 14

On 12/19/2023 at 12:20 PM, vibronx said:

That buyers will be able to rate our pre-purchase communication without even ordering. Some "genius" buyer presented that idea on the forum a couple of weeks back.🙄

They did that a few years ago! I remember misscrytal's endless rants about it, since her line of work attracts emotionally needy buyers - or energy vampires, as I believe they're called today - would bother her long after work was done. Anyway I think they stopped that. IIRC it was a Y/N quiz to a question like "was this conversation useful to you?". I'm not sure that it ever tied into anything. 

I'm not too bothered about cancelled reviews because I never cancelled prior to that being introduced, apart from in the "free cancelation situations". We all know that was a rule made to stop bad sellers from abusing cancellations to avoid bad ratings as a form of feedback manipulation. Only one person has ever extended the review period and they didn't need revisions in the end. It's kinda meh, but I also have extensive checks before delivery to avoid revisions, and I no longer have to remind them manually of the 3-day autoclosure, so. 

What's a little more irritating is posts that Fiverr staff open claiming transparency and integrity in introducing convoluted review systems, basically ignore for most of the lifetime of the post, then finally post an update after a pretty catty prod, only to close the post down so no further debate can be had on the update. So much for the "we'd love to hear your opinions". Business as usual! 

My predictions, based on what my success manager told me the other day:

• Fiverr will start hosting virtual online "team bonding exercises". These joyful events will be mandatory, and sellers will have to spend 4 hours at a virtual Zoom meeting excitedly interacting with each other every 6 months to boost their morale and team spirit. *Drinks and food not provided, non-rescheduable, your level and eligibility for features may be affected if you choose not to be a team player.
  • Fiverr will finally launch Fiverr Neo to everyone, explaining that the reason it took so long to do so was because they had to tweak it due to feedback and yeah. Fiverr Neo is rebranded to MyLittleAI in August 2024, putting hundreds of thousands of sellers out of a job, since MyLittleAI does all those quick little gigs for a small monthly fee of $5. Angry users complaining about this in the forum via identical walls of text written with the power of ChatGPT are told that their message has been passed on to the team. 
  • Fiverr introduces a new cryptocurrency, Fever (FVR), which becomes the platform currency. The FVR, which of course is worth $5, replaces the USD, which can only be transfered to USD. That can only be done with a 20% exchange fee, and getting them is a 5.5% service fee with a $2.50 surcharge for admin. In a post announcing this exciting step forward, Fiverr says they chose to go this route after listening closely to its many users who didn't like PayPal and Payoneer, and that a lot of users over the years wanted crypto. Well, now you got it!
  • Fiverr Pro will be rebranded to Fiverr. Fiverr Pro sellers will become Fiverr sellers. Fiverr Certified sellers will become Fiverr Pro Sellers. "Normal" Fiverr sellers will become that strange creaking noise you hear in haunted houses in horror movies. The loudest may be allowed to become the "blond girl screaming as she runs away from the villain incredibly slowly while falling over the smallest of obstacles in her way".
  • Seller Plus will have a new tier added: Seller Plus Pro Premium. This option will cost $100 and launch with NFT stickers that are sure to be incredibly valuable in the future. Also, profile designs can be customized using a tasteful, but limited palette of 5 colors. Well worth it, in my opinion. 
  • Fiverr's AI will create a virtual "Judge Judy" who will handle all disputes between buyer and seller. In an exciting twist, this coincides with the launch of Fiverr TV, where these trials are shown live and both buyer and seller must appear. Judge Judy is not cheap to run because she's like a super complicated AI and uses up a lot of energy or something. Anyway, to cover costs and make sure justice is served, trials cost a non-refundable 5,000 FVRs for buyer and seller. If the buyer wins, they are allowed to leave a review on the seller's profile, but with the twist that Judge Judy wrote it and she's not in a good mood and not at all impressed with the seller. If the seller wins, they get to pick a GIF of the real Judge Judy casting aspersions on the buyer's character. 

2024 is going to be a dynamic and exciting year for everyone. Unless you become a wisp in Fiverr's haunted house, but your time will come to shine in 2025, when Fiverr opens up a theme park in Alaska so it can put your scary wisp skills to good use. Hang tight, bloodless curdled scream of abject despair! Your time is coming!

• Like 10
  • Haha 14
  • Up 2

I provide an outline and a small sample to check if they like the writing style/tone and have them approve it. If they're unresponsive, I just request a delivery extension with a note explaining why. If they're particularly unresponsive, I pick the longest possible time. I liked how Fiverr made it so it auto-applied this year! Before that, I'd just write to CS and ask them to send a message to the buyer, which always worked. If no response, order cancelled.

The approval is a small, but important step 🙂 

Although this year has seen a crazy increase in "just write in the style you think best" client. The best way to combat this bad idea is to go ham on a completely inappropriate writing style with a few notes politely illustrating how it fits their brief. They usually get the message then. If they don't, well, unfortunately that's going to be a complete rewrite that doesn't fall under the revision. You are welcome to leave an honest review, and I'll do the same. That's why I have a very trustworthy 4.9-star profile, (indirectly) according to Fiverr's last feedback before closing the feedback post yesterday. 

I can't have been the only person who wondered how Fiverr had only just realized that imperfect profiles were more trustworthy than perfect ones, can I? Followed by the thought that "is 4.9 really all that different if everyone has a 4.9 profile by design? Never mind the "making the review process optional". Maybe I'm wrong, but hasn't it always been optional? Public reviews, anyway. But aren't private reviews also optional? So why is Fiverr saying optional? Did they really mean that they wouldn't be so closely hooked up to metrics? 

Also, "the algorithm is not affected by the star rating score" - does that mean that the entire public rating system is nothing except a vanity metric?  But if that's the case, isn't the levels stuff tied into the algorithm?

And if buyers are supposedly understanding the new beta feedback stuff so wonderfully, why would they be testing further alternate systems. Stars, emojis, etc. What does etc cover? Egyptian hieroglyphs? Video testimonials? Mime reviews? Reviews you can only view if you successfully complete one of those captcha puzzles with the letters rendered so badly you can't tell if it's an o or an 0?

I mean, I can see why they closed the comments, but still. More questions than answers. And I'm guessing Fiverr will not take kindly to me starting a new post that delves into the realm of this plethora of top-notch questions. Sorry, I slipped into GPT-talk there. 

I suppose most of my "extensive checks" are really just throwing bad idea grenades back at the buyer to explode in their face so they can make sure their investment in my writing actually works for them. I'm not allowed to bluntly explain anything anymore due to private reviews so here we are. But still, the extended deadlines was a nice addition.

• Like 9
  • Haha 1
  • Up 1
  • Thanks 1

One advice I'll give to sellers which is not just for Fiverr, but generally whatever task you do...there's a lot out of one individuals control...the only thing you can do is do the very basics as best as you can and the rest is out of your hands. On Fiverr, those basics would be quality of your work/customer service/honesty and integrity/creative ways to promote your gigs.

So on Fiverr, if there are changes...don't spend too much time thinking about them. Keep going and keep doing the basics right, daily.

Of course changes can bring trouble your way but reward usually follows if the little things are done as best as one can. It's the principles of life and principles of anything else...including Fiverr.

• Like 8

I'm in complete control of my Fiverr experience, thank you very much. I know the TOS inside-out, I know how to deal with CS (and what they can/can't do), and I adapt to whatever nonsense they come up with if I need to. As for clients, we're either on the same page before delivery or it's a cancellation. And I never ignore my gut reaction. 

I would certainly never consider not thinking too much about changes on Fiverr, because I need to adapt to them

• Like 10
  • Up 2

I received a 4.5 review from a return buyer (at least 10 order completed with me) and after accepting the order and leaving a review, they also sent me a direct message thanking me again for the great work.

It seems 4.5 is the new 5.

Edited by easypr
  • Like 8

1 hour ago, emmaki said:

Never mind the "making the review process optional". Maybe I'm wrong, but hasn't it always been optional? Public reviews, anyway. But aren't private reviews also optional? So why is Fiverr saying optional? Did they really mean that they wouldn't be so closely hooked up to metrics? 

Also, "the algorithm is not affected by the star rating score" - does that mean that the entire public rating system is nothing except a vanity metric?  But if that's the case, isn't the levels stuff tied into the algorithm?

When she said:

We will explore making the review step optional instead of required. For repeat customers, we understand that filling out the review each time becomes redundant and cumbersome.

I expect it means making entering the review text optional but still allowing a buyer to leaving a public rating score (eg. allow them to give a 5 star public rating but with no review text, since repeat buyers start repeating the same review text).

I'm not sure what they mean about "the algorithm is not affected by the star rating score" - surely it could be affected for it at least in some ways even if not directly (eg. that it affects your 60 day stats and your level and so affects it in that way. But it could also mean that it's the private reviews/ratings that are the main thing affecting the ranking algorithm (ie. buyer satisfaction rate) - as well as other things like relevance, on time deliveries etc. But surely since it must affect the ranking system even if indirectly it shouldn't really say that it doesn't affect the [ranking] algorithm.

Edited by uk1000
  • Like 9

Except there isn't a ranking algorithm because everything is personalized to the individual user....it seems to me that having buyers click things like "value for money" or whatever helps the algo (in the public review beta anyway) to say "OK, this buyer likes XYZ, so we should show them more gigs that other buyers thought were XYZ" in combination with whatever other relevant data matches that specific user. 

The stars are already worthless, since we've been told for a while now that the private reviews matter more. So engineering them - with transparency and integrity the forefront of this process, naturally - from 5.0 to the more buyer-pleasing and commercially-viable 4.9 makes sense. It doesn't really matter what "alternate" rating is used to achieve this, since it's just window dressing. How can the algorithm really "use" hundreds of thousands of sellers with a 5-star rating (or a 4.9 star rating)? I mean, I can't blame Fiverr for looking for other ways to sort sellers. But I can blame them for their usual awful approach to liaising with the community on these things. That last post wouldn't have gone so off-topic or even repetitive if someone at Fiverr had been on-post to answer questions and actually deal with feedback beyond saying "passing this on". If Fiverr doesn't want people to talk about it all that much (other than presenting an artificial veil of "listening"), they do have a blog and noreply email address they can stick this sort of announcement on. 

In any case, the outcome of this test will probs be complaints like "I'm a perfect 5-star seller with brilliant 100% metrics, why have I been stabbed to death in this dark alleyway" changing slightly to "I'm an almost-perfect  4.9.-star seller with brilliant 100% metrics, why have I been stabbed to death in this dark alleyway" as the unknown damage of the unknown private review lays waste to a profile for however many (unknown?) days it goes on the rampage. 

Unless, of course, you're a high volume seller who can absorb those private reviews. But high volume sellers tend to have 4.9 star ratings anyway. And God help you if you're new to Fiverr, since all of this is review voodoo that isn't really easy-to-access knowledge where you'd expect to find it, like the Help Center. Never mind the "how do I do cancellations without being shot in the back". 

Most of my repeat buyers already don't leave reviews. How is Fiverr messing around with the "it doesn't matter" public review which is also designed to bring overall reviews down by 0.1 star through e.g. emojis and clicky "value for money" buttons going to help them? One thing you can be sure Fiverr won't implement is the "auto-review".... because it doesn't want happy buyers who want to help their sellers to thrive just press one button that says 5 stars "outstanding experience"

Like, that's so Fiverr 2015. Urgh. I can't believe anyone would have such a *basic* review system. We're not Amazon

• Like 9

On 12/22/2023 at 7:37 AM, uk1000 said:

When she said:

I expect it means making entering the review text optional but still allowing a buyer to leaving a public rating score (eg. allow them to give a 5 star public rating but with no review text, since repeat buyers start repeating the same review text).

I'm not sure what they mean about "the algorithm is not affected by the star rating score" - surely it could be affected for it at least in some ways even if not directly (eg. that it affects your 60 day stats and your level and so affects it in that way. But it could also mean that it's the private reviews/ratings that are the main thing affecting the ranking algorithm (ie. buyer satisfaction rate) - as well as other things like relevance, on time deliveries etc. But surely since it must affect the ranking system even if indirectly it shouldn't really say that it doesn't affect the [ranking] algorithm.

I'm quoting like this cause I'm on the phone and it's messy. 

My interpretation at first was that whether we have stars or other systems (smileys etc) doesn't affect the system -eg. it's the same no matter what it looks like? I do think I read that very optimistically tho... 

I get why there is only so much they can tell us, but I'm concerned that there were certain factors (people getting the wrong reviews according to their buyers, etc.) That went somewhat ignored. I'm guessing it's likely a bug or something but even then... Something that directly affects us shouldn't be changed is a borderline weird fashion... 

I'm sure that most buyers get the new systems as well - the issue is with the few who are already lost. Clarity is something that they need... Which changes like this don't seem to provide. 

(I also think that you can't just tank everyone's ratings like this without changing other things but we'll see.) 

• Like 7
  • Up 2

54 minutes ago, emmaki said:

Except there isn't a ranking algorithm because everything is personalized to the individual user

Though we can see Fiverr's own video from 6 months ago called "Fiverr Talks: Shifting Fiverr Search into Deep Learning/ Gal Naamani

Here's 2 slides from that video:

slide-from-16-59.jpg.f81005c485eda0b7bb0ca1f24b3a4c93.jpg

The slide above (from 16:59 in the video) showed that one of their goals (for the new search, using deep learning) was "Easy integration with our pre/post ranking".

Here's another of Fiverr's slides (from 17:33 in Fiverr's talk video about shifting Fiverr search into deep learning)

fiverr-talks-slide-shown-at-17-33-in-Fiverr-deep-learning-video.jpg.9e8357dcaaa8451a9a3313967ddd34a4.jpg

The above slide (as shown by Fiverr in their video near the end of their video) shows TF ranking (TensorFlow ranking).

In the English translation of the above video from around 17:29 (from Whisper AI) in the video they say:

And we decided to go with TensorFlow Ranking. First of all, it has a very high support, it is a very famous package, many people use it, there are all the bugs, the reports, and there are answers to them, and there is documentation, so it is very easy to work with it, it grows fast,
it is supported, the scale and speed of it, it is TensorFlow, it works fast, it is suitable, and we also have experience with the team, which is another nice bonus. And in terms of the shortcomings, the main one was the sluggishness, but I put a star here, because when we did the research and decided which way to go, there were a few places where TensorFlow Ranking was not sluggish enough (?), and today that is not the case anymore. So it also affects the growth of this product, which we are constantly investing in and developing. And that's it, that's the big picture of the research process, and we focused it on this project.

And if there are a few things I would like you to take away from the research that we do, the points that are important to us, it is first of all to define the problem, the baseline, it is very important, it is like what will decide in the end what solutions you need to find.
The second thing is to remember that you really cannot invent the wheel. The problems, you are not usually the first to deal with them, many people have already worked hard, and it is important to listen to the wisdom of the masses. What is true, creativity will come in when you need to take their solution and apply it to your specific data and your specific problem.

So there is a good chance they are using TensorFlow ranking for Fiverr search now. And even if they aren't they said on their slide in the video that one of their goals was "Easy integration with our pre/post ranking". There is also the Fiverr help pages where it mentions the ranking system multiple times.

Edited by uk1000
  • Like 9
  • Up 1

3 hours ago, emmaki said:

Never mind the "making the review process optional". Maybe I'm wrong, but hasn't it always been optional? Public reviews, anyway. But aren't private reviews also optional? So why is Fiverr saying optional? Did they really mean that they wouldn't be so closely hooked up to metrics? 

They're both optional and have always been optional.

• Like 7

28 minutes ago, uk1000 said:

Though we can see Fiverr's own video from 6 months ago called "Fiverr Talks: Shifting Fiverr Search into Deep Learning/ Gal Naamani

The slide above (from 16:59 in the video) showed that one of their goals (for the new search, using deep learning) was "Easy integration with our pre/post ranking".

Here's another of Fiverr's slides (from 17:33 in Fiverr's talk video about shifting Fiverr search into deep learning)

fiverr-talks-slide-shown-at-17-33-in-Fiverr-deep-learning-video.jpg.9e8357dcaaa8451a9a3313967ddd34a4.jpg

The above slide (as shown by Fiverr in their video near the end of their video) shows TF ranking (TensorFlow ranking).

In the English translation of the above video from around 17:29 (from Whisper AI) in the video they say:

So there is a good chance they are using TensorFlow ranking for Fiverr search now. And even if they aren't they said on their slide in the video that one of their goals was "Easy integration with our pre/post ranking". There is also the Fiverr help pages where it mentions the ranking system multiple times.

That's interesting, I wasn't aware of that - however, it still doesn't negate the point that there is no overt ranking system or "leaderboard" of sellers. In most cases, when sellers talk of ranking, it is in the context of how their gigs are ranking ("I checked for my gig and...."). So, that's what I'm talking about when I say there's no ranking system - that ranking system doesn't exist. I don't doubt there's some sort of intricate (personalized) ranking system based on various tracks and actions, though.

The Fiverr Help Center is full of broken links and still isn't properly updated since whenever they had the August redesign (e.g. Fiverr Glossary page references Fiverr Anywhere (defunct) and links to a 404). It's a mediocre resource at the moment, at best.

Here's what Perplexity AI told me about TensorFlow: 

TensorFlow is a free and open-source software library for machine learning and artificial intelligence. It is primarily used for training and inference of deep neural networks, but it can be used across a range of tasks. TensorFlow allows developers to create dataflow graphs that describe how data moves through a graph, or a series of processing nodes. It bundles together a slew of machine learning and deep learning models and algorithms and offers additional conveniences for developers who need to debug and gain introspection. TensorFlow can train and run deep neural networks for various applications such as image recognition, natural language processing, and more. TensorFlow is available on 64-bit Linux, macOS, Windows, and mobile computing platforms including Android and iOS. Its flexible architecture allows for the easy deployment of computation.

It all sounds a bit "Fiverr Neo" to me. That video would have come out around the time of Fiverr Neo was introduced. Now we're getting review buttons that use pre-defined data like "value for money"? Note the name of the video and the pre/post ranking. It seems to me that Fiverr is expecting that more buyers will use Fiverr Neo (because let's face it, wading through the catalog is a chore) and the "ranking", whatever that actually means at this point, may not be as important as getting visibility in Neo (in future). 

17 minutes ago, visualstudios said:

They're both optional and have always been optional.

As I thought, but on the last post on the emoji review thread from Kesha...

We will explore making the review step optional instead of required. For repeat customers, we understand that filling out the review each time becomes redundant and cumbersome.

I would say the writing is unclear here at best. You can fill out the stars, the emojis, the button things, and yes, the text field. But replacing "review step" with "written review" would make this a lot clearer. Or even "writing out the review". Dare I bring up the dreadful writing on the Early Payout Help Center page again? 

• Like 7
  • Up 1

58 minutes ago, emmaki said:

That's interesting, I wasn't aware of that - however, it still doesn't negate the point that there is no overt ranking system or "leaderboard" of sellers. In most cases, when sellers talk of ranking, it is in the context of how their gigs are ranking ("I checked for my gig and...."). So, that's what I'm talking about when I say there's no ranking system - that ranking system doesn't exist

The ranking system for (gig) search results does exist though - that Fiverr video (from 6 months ago) was all about updating it. They didn't mention in the video about asking it questions in the Fiverr Neo way (though maybe it could be part of that too).

Edit: though I agree if you mean that there's no ranking of sellers [that we know of] (except things like the levels system/pro verified etc, rating system) - but there is of gigs even though people have said there isn't (of gigs/search results).

This is from perplexity.ai for Tensorflow Ranking (what Fiverr talked about in that video):

TensorFlow Ranking is a library within the TensorFlow platform that focuses on Learning-to-Rank (LTR) techniques. It provides an implementation of neural ranking GAM (Generalized Additive Models) and supports standard pointwise, pairwise, and listwise loss functions for LTR models. The library also offers a wide range of ranking metrics, such as Mean Reciprocal Rank (MRR) and Normalized Discounted Cumulative Gain (NDCG), and provides an optimized ranking pipeline architecture for developing scalable, neural LTR models. It is used for applications in search, question answering, recommender systems, and dialogue systems

Also from perplexity.ai about whether it's used for search results ranking:

TensorFlow, including its TensorFlow Ranking library, is indeed used in search result ranking. The TensorFlow Ranking library is an open-source library for developing scalable, neural learning to rank (LTR) models, which are typically used in search and recommendation systems

1  It provides support for standard pointwise, pairwise, and listwise loss functions for LTR models, as well as a wide range of ranking metrics, making it suitable for evaluating and comparing different approaches for ranking tasks

1 Additionally, TensorFlow Ranking is used to build listwise ranking models, optimizing the model's ranking of a list as a whole, which is particularly relevant for search result ranking

3 Furthermore, the Google Cloud Blog mentions the use of a ranking model built with TensorFlow Ranking based on usage signals to provide better search results

4 Therefore, TensorFlow, including its TensorFlow Ranking library, plays a significant role in search result ranking

Fiverr also has a job page here: https://www.fiverr.com/jobs/RDUuMDAz

where it says:

As a Backend Engineer at Fiverr, you'll be responsible for implementing core features, building infrastructure, and finding innovative solutions while working with cutting edge technologies (Ruby, Kotlin, Node.JS, Golang, Kafka, MongoDB, Redis, ElasticSearch, Kubernetes, AWS and more).

Here's perplexity.ai's answer about if ElasticSearch could (eg. have been) used by Fiverr for (gig) search results ranking:

Elasticsearch is a powerful search and analytics engine used for a variety of purposes, including search result ranking. It allows users to index, search, and analyze large volumes of data with near real-time response. In the context of sites like Fiverr, Elasticsearch can be used to retrieve a list of qualified documents or results based on a user's input and to build and use a search ranking model to sort this list, ultimately presenting the sorted list as the output of the search engine to the user

...The ranking evaluation API in Elasticsearch also enables the evaluation of the quality of ranked search results over a set of typical search queries, which can be useful for measuring search performance and relevance tuning

Here's ElasticSearch's help page about their rank feature https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/elasticsearch/reference/current/query-dsl-rank-feature-query.html

(not sure if used by Fiverr but ElasticSearch is/was), they also talk abou a relavance_score (and I think Fiverr also talks about relevance being important for the results shown to users - or it's been mentioned on the forum).

In a 2017 Transcript by Software Engineering Daily of an interview Gil Sheinfeld the CTO of Fiverr said:

We didn’t build a search engine entirely from scratch, but we’re leveraging Solr [they wrote Solar but incorrectly] and Elastic [ie. ElasticSearch] and using them in a way that is slightly different than other companies. Our search leverage large amount of features beyond relevancy in order to have better performing ranking.

See: https://softwareengineeringdaily.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/SED462-Fiverr-Engineering.pdf

Edited by uk1000
  • Like 7
  • Up 1

3 hours ago, uk1000 said:

Very insightful stuff @uk1000.

Thank you for enlightening us. 🙌

• Like 7

4 hours ago, emmaki said:

Fiverr won't implement is the "auto-review".... because it doesn't want happy buyers who want to help their sellers to thrive just press one button that says 5 stars "outstanding experience"

Like, that's so Fiverr 2015.

... How about something more 2023, the "feedback subscription", one-click-buyable for 3, 6, 9, 12, 24 months, or 5 years (with increasing discount), wherein, for a small fee, 5GPT checks a buyer's previously left feedbacks, and continues the pattern, with an artificially creative, customised, always at least slightly different, feedback text. Who knows, at least for many business buyers, 'time is money' isn't just a bonmot.

• Like 9
  • Haha 4