Note to Buyers: AI Content Detectors are Not Accurate

russflex

I have provided human-written content to buyers on Fiverr for over 10 years. But now, this AI phenomenon is destroying the businesses of honest writers like myself. Buyers now like to use AI detectors to test my work to see if it is AI generated content. For some reason, these AI detectors usually claim that 30% to 50% of my work is AI generated, even though it should be 0%. These AI detection companies even have negative reviews on Trustpilot for their inaccuracies, but that isn't always good enough to convince buyers. 

Have any other writers gone through similar experiences?

• Like 65
  • Sad 7
  • Up 8

8 hours ago, russflex said:

Have any other writers gone through similar experiences?

Obviously. And it will continue. Some trust the reviews of a seller. But there are some people that instead of saying HI, they just ask me if I use AI. That's quite insulting from my perspective, because it's not a conversation, it's just starting with the worst assumption. Even if I always want to help everyone if I can, the reality is that people who start with AI questions are usually very hard to work with. And the funny thing is they don't really tell you what tool they are using, they just use the AI "reason" as a way to ask for a refund. 

So yeah, it obviously happens quite a lot throughougt the writing category. And unfortunately there's not a whole lot we can do.

• Like 56
  • Congrats! 1
  • Up 4

Yes. It seems to claim AI-generation if you use big words or complex sentence structure, which is ridiculous.

The most aggravating thing about this whole change is that most people don't understand it. Buyers can't recognize issues on their own without relying on highly faulty tools

• Like 37
  • Up 4

55 minutes ago, melanielm said:

The most aggravating thing about this whole change is that most people don't understand it. Buyers can't recognize issues on their own without relying on highly faulty tools

And even then, they rely on random tools without telling you what to search with. I am fine with a person asking for a specific tool, if they tell me what tool to use and stuff like that. I don't like being accused of AI when I clearly don't use any AI for my work and I take pride in that. However, especially at lower prices, a LOT of buyers come with the AI assumption right out of the gate. If thousands of reviews don't mean anything for that person and they still have trust issues, and they don't tell me what tool they are using, then no thank you 🙂

Edited by donnovan86
  • Like 42
  • Sad 3
  • Up 2

• 2 months later...
On 12/12/2023 at 8:38 AM, creative_howl said:

Why not use an AI Detector yourself to check your content and make adjustments to lower the percentage? I do this before I deliver any writing work to a client.

I tried doing that. I had one buyer who kept requesting revisions because of the AI content detection. So, I kept modifying the text in every way possible, but the AI detector was never completely satisfied. It even highlighted all the text and claimed it was likely "human-written," but then still gave a 50% AI rating. It made no sense. 

Edited by russflex
  • Like 24
  • Sad 1

• 3 weeks later...

I'm an illustrator, and I'm having this same problem. I had a couple of customers complaining I was using AI, even though I made drafts, revisions, etc. I didn't even know of "detectors" till a few weeks ago, honestly, since I'm not interested in using AI. And guess what, I made a couple tests with Caravaggio, Rembrandt and other old masters painters, and most of them were flagged as AI or "likely" AI. I'm appalled. I've lost already more than half a month of revenue because of these detectors. 

• Like 17
  • Up 1

Several clients have already told me they will check my work with a detector. I don't care because I don't use AI tools to write texts. However, as more and more clients are talking to me about detectors, I wanted to test what these detectors are.

I took one of my orders and ran it through several detectors (Writer, ZeroGPT, Copyleaks, Undetectable...I took the ones Google suggested to me). Some tools say my text is 100% human, others say it's 30% AI, others 95% AI, when I know it's 100% human.
They don't seem very reliable!

Do you know which detectors are reliable?

• Like 17

• 1 month later...
On 12/11/2023 at 11:55 AM, russflex said:

For some reason, these AI detectors usually claim that 30% to 50% of my work is AI generated, even though it should be 0%

I'm not a writer on Fiverr but I have done a lot of writing in my life - that stinks that you are having your content questioned!

• Like 6

On 12/12/2023 at 2:38 PM, creative_howl said:

Why not use an AI Detector yourself to check your content and make adjustments to lower the percentage? I do this before I deliver any writing work to a client.

You are not getting the point. If he wrote his piece completely without AI, why does he need to ask AI if his piece has AI in it? Do you wake up in the morning and ask a tool if a part of you is AI generated? 

And lets say he does ask AI and AI says 60% is AI generated, what then does he do? Ask AI to humanise his own content.

As a web designer, I write content for some of my clients pages and I just don't bother with some AI content detectors (most especially copyleaks). And that is because I know they have been programmed to pick paraphrased content and also content produced by AI with prompts to write as humanly as possible. So, when you have originally human-written content, they tend to pick it up as AI.

• Like 5
  • Up 1

it always true that AI content is not accurate. 

On 3/1/2024 at 3:29 AM, carineb said:

Several clients have already told me they will check my work with a detector. I don't care because I don't use AI tools to write texts. However, as more and more clients are talking to me about detectors, I wanted to test what these detectors are.

I took one of my orders and ran it through several detectors (Writer, ZeroGPT, Copyleaks, Undetectable...I took the ones Google suggested to me). Some tools say my text is 100% human, others say it's 30% AI, others 95% AI, when I know it's 100% human.
They don't seem very reliable!

Do you know which detectors are reliable?

Human touch is more important after writing from AI.

• Like 6

Same thing happened to me. The client insulted me and kept saying " I trusted you". The experience was horrible for me. So, I always give my clients an Originality ai report with the delivery to give peace to their souls. I think for now, it's the best idea for me to solve this problem.

Buy the best ai detector and provide the reports by yourself. 🙂 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, alinasolov said:

You can use the artificial intelligence detector yourself to check your content and change it to reduce the percentage

And why would you need to do that unless you were trying to trick your buyers?

• Like 5
  • Up 1

45 minutes ago, emmaki said:

And why would you need to do that unless you were trying to trick your buyers?

Because the AI detectors are inaccurate as stated in this thread, and they incorrectly state that human-written things are AI generated when they're not. Altering it if the major AI detectors say it's AI would at least give the buyer more confidence in it. Maybe they could also show the buyer evidence of how the AI detectors are inaccurate.

Edited by uk1000
  • Like 4
  • Up 1

23 minutes ago, uk1000 said:

Because the AI detectors are inaccurate as stated in this thread, and they incorrectly state that human-written things are AI generated when they're not. Altering it if the major AI detectors say it's AI would at least give the buyer more confidence in it. Maybe they could also show the buyer evidence of how the AI detectors are inaccurate.

It would be better to educate buyers on this prior to the order (or before starting work) or simply not work with them at all. This is just the latest version of the old "you plagiarized everything" trick. With the wrong sort of buyer, showing them how deftly you can lower your AI scores might as well be admitting guilt. 

Anyway, this should all become a lot easier to deal with soon, once the AI companies get their act together and start watermarking gen AI content (I may be putting to much faith in this). 

• Like 4
  • Up 2

Just as an idea, writers if you use a tool like Google Docs for your writing, you should be able to show the document history to the client that shows it was written over a period of time. AI text wouldn’t have that because it would be copy and pasted.

• Like 5
  • Up 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/9/2024 at 9:52 PM, emmaki said:

It would be better to educate buyers on this prior to the order (or before starting work) or simply not work with them at all. This is just the latest version of the old "you plagiarized everything" trick. With the wrong sort of buyer, showing them how deftly you can lower your AI scores might as well be admitting guilt. 

Anyway, this should all become a lot easier to deal with soon, once the AI companies get their act together and start watermarking gen AI content (I may be putting to much faith in this). 

I just saw your profile. You have successful gigs and quite a brand yourself. Sellers like you can afford to lose a few clients. But what about us who are just starting? Nobody believes us!

AI-written content can easily rank on Google. I have my own affiliate website. In the beginning, I used to write everything myself. Then, after completing a small course and doing some research, I discovered that AI-generated content of good quality can attract organic readers and generate sales. I sometimes use AI tools to write for my blog, and the articles rank well too!

But the problem arises when clients, who may not even read the content they're buying or can't judge its quality, refuse to understand the situation. Once, I encountered a client who demanded a 100% perfect Grammarly report (a tool that detects grammar errors). Firstly, I was confident that I DID NOT need the tool because I am proficient in English writing. There's no chance it will find errors in my writing.

However, when I delivered the content, the client sent me a report highlighting grammar errors - clarity issues, tone suggestions, redundancies, and more ( In short, more trash). She canceled the order. I purchased a subscription to Grammarly to see what the problem was. I found the tool to be another trash, as it flagged words like 'probably' and 'definitely' as errors. To understand my client's demand, I copied and pasted an article from the client's website to check its grammar, and it showed 100% correctness on Grammarly. However, the content was boring to read and quite weird too.

You know, AI isn't the problem; it's the minds that aren't ready to accept change that pose the main issue. It's a sad reality and I can't afford to lose clients or the $5 they pay me.

Got a big tummy to feed and lots of bills to pay 😞 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, nezuko_writes said:

I just saw your profile. You have successful gigs and quite a brand yourself. Sellers like you can afford to lose a few clients. But what about us who are just starting? Nobody believes us!

AI-written content can easily rank on Google. I have my own affiliate website. In the beginning, I used to write everything myself. Then, after completing a small course and doing some research, I discovered that AI-generated content of good quality can attract organic readers and generate sales. I sometimes use AI tools to write for my blog, and the articles rank well too!

But the problem arises when clients, who may not even read the content they're buying or can't judge its quality, refuse to understand the situation. Once, I encountered a client who demanded a 100% perfect Grammarly report (a tool that detects grammar errors). Firstly, I was confident that I DID NOT need the tool because I am proficient in English writing. There's no chance it will find errors in my writing.

However, when I delivered the content, the client sent me a report highlighting grammar errors - clarity issues, tone suggestions, redundancies, and more ( In short, more trash). She canceled the order. I purchased a subscription to Grammarly to see what the problem was. I found the tool to be another trash, as it flagged words like 'probably' and 'definitely' as errors. To understand my client's demand, I copied and pasted an article from the client's website to check its grammar, and it showed 100% correctness on Grammarly. However, the content was boring to read and quite weird too.

You know, AI isn't the problem; it's the minds that aren't ready to accept change that pose the main issue. It's a sad reality and I can't afford to lose clients or the $5 they pay me.

Got a big tummy to feed and lots of bills to pay 😞 

A simpler and reliable solution would be to mutually decide and agree upon WHICH TOOL can/will be trusted and used to verify the authenticity and accuracy of content, BEFORE starting the work. 

You can even mention the same in your gig details and inform every buyer beforehand when they place the order. 

• Like 1
  • Up 1

7 minutes ago, catwriter said:

Based on your profile, it looks like you haven't had any sales yet.

And $5 for 5,000 words is an invitation for scammers.

I am not selling actually and I know my gig is useless. I just made the gig out of curiosity and not into selling. I am new to the platform and trying to understand how it works. When I am done, I will re-edit it. I am just roaming here for advice and tips lol. As for the AI problem, Every freelance site has this problem for writers.

Edited by nezuko_writes
  • Like 1