What do you say when a buyer asks this?

kevindwren

Question

Hey, I've been on this forum for some time but this is my first post regarding Fiverr. I had a discussion with a buyer yesterday and earlier this morning he asked "Will you do a refund if I'm not satisfied with the work?".

Throughout my career on Fiverr, I never once claim I guarantee 100% satisfaction. I am aware that there are things beyond my control that might cause the buyer to change their mind or affect their judgments. I work in a creative field and what is considered "good" can be very subjective sometimes. However, I also never intend to not get paid after working on a project.

I explained to the buyer that I provide a couple of free revisions which he can use to request any changes needed if he's unhappy, so he doesn't have to worry. For the most part, most buyers I worked with tend to feel relieved after knowing this and move forward with the order. This buyer, however, proceeded to ask "and what if I'm still not happy after the changes?". I simply replied "Is there any reason why you think that the changes would still not make you happy?".

How do you usually respond to this type of question from a buyer? would you tell them that you'll do 100% refund? I am not sure if my respond is appropriate. If it doesn't, I would like to learn from other sellers here, so that I can respond appropriately in the future.

• Like 16

10 answers to this question

I'm a new seller here on Fiverr but I've worked with clients on other platforms. If a client is so skeptical about the quality of your service delivery to an extent they make you feel uncomfortable by asking whether they would get a refund if they are not happy with your service, I would rather steer clear of them.
On the other hand, you could send the buyer a sample of your work to show them what they should expect. If they like your samples, then you can go ahead and get into a mutual agreement.

• Like 14
  • Up 2

I've been on Fiverr for some time now though still a new seller.  With experience gathered though not on Fiverr platform,  I will suggest or rather advice that you stay clear from such buyer reason been that at the end of the project,  if he/she isn't satisfied even after numerous corrections and requests for a full refund, failure to comply to his bidding might make him/her give you a negative review or even report your account and these things have a way of denting your profile. 

if after sending samples of your work to the buyer and he/she isn't satisfied please avoid that project. 

• Like 6
  • Confused 1
  • Up 1

On 11/22/2023 at 9:52 PM, kevindwren said:

How do you usually respond to this type of question from a buyer?

I tell them that I don't offer refunds after delivering the work; what I write is tailored for their book, so it's not like it's a dress, and if it doesn't fit, they can return it to me, and then I can sell it to someone else. I mention that I offer one free revision, and I might also send them samples of my work, so they can check if my style is suitable for their needs. I also explain that what I do is creative writing, and that I can't possibly guarantee that they will love it.

After a firm "no" to the question "do you offer a refund if I'm not fully satisfied?", they tend to leave, and I think it's for the best.

• Like 15
  • Haha 4
  • Up 3

19 hours ago, catwriter said:

I tell them that I don't offer refunds after delivering the work; what I write is tailored for their book, so it's not like it's a dress, and if it doesn't fit, they can return it to me, and then I can sell it to someone else. I mention that I offer one free revision, and I might also send them samples of my work, so they can check if my style is suitable for their needs. I also explain that what I do is creative writing, and that I can't possibly guarantee that they will love it.

After a firm "no" to the question "do you offer a refund if I'm not fully satisfied?", they tend to leave, and I think it's for the best.

I agree with you. I also create my design based on buyer's briefing, which in his case was quite specific. Even if he end up not liking the outcome, it doesn't change the fact that I spend time to realize his ideas. I can use that explanation next time I encounter another buyer with that type of question. Thank you!

In the end, I suggested that we don't move forward with the project if he doesn't trust my skill and expertise to realize his ideas. Based on the responses I received here, I think I made the right decision.

• Like 11
  • Congrats! 1

1 hour ago, kevindwren said:

I already have over 1000 reviews and I also have attached some portfolios. If those aren't enough, I don't think providing sample would make that much difference.

Not every buyer checks the portfolio. Most don't, in my experience (but I'm a writer, it might be different for designers). So sending them samples from your existing portfolio might help.

• Like 6

15 hours ago, catwriter said:

Not every buyer checks the portfolio. Most don't, in my experience (but I'm a writer, it might be different for designers). So sending them samples from your existing portfolio might help.

A big portion of buyers reach out because they like the samples they see in my gig gallery and reviews 🤔 It's probably because when it comes to design you can immediately tell if it's the type of style that you want for your project. I show samples when the buyer doesn't have a detailed briefing, so they know what to expect. As for buyers who know exactly what they want, I just state a price based on the complexity of their request (this is the case with the buyer I talked about).

• Like 3

4 hours ago, kevindwren said:

A big portion of buyers reach out because they like the samples they see in my gig gallery and reviews 🤔 

Oh, okay, so it's really different across the niches (the one who suggested sending samples is a writer, so I'm guessing his experience is very different from yours).

• Like 3