Unreasonably low rates proposed by the buyer

bioeditorx

Question

Hello everyone 😊

I'm seeking insights from more experienced freelancers here regarding an issue from the topic: clients suggesting significantly reduced rates for services.

I'm a newcomer to this platform, and to build ratings and some trust with potential clients, I'm initially offering lower rates than most of the well-established users. So far, I haven't received any orders, except for the usual spam messages. Today, I had my first serious inquiry from a potential client. However, they proposed an exceptionally low rate and an extremely tight deadline. I declined the proposed terms because I know that to deliver high-quality work to the client, I would need to invest many, many hours of work. Even though I lack any ratings or experience on Fiverr at the moment, I believe my services deserve fair compensation.

Now, to the point, I'm concerned about this situation and would like to hear about your experiences. Is this kind of underpricing common on this platform? Are clients often prioritizing lower rates over service quality?

• Like 12

4 answers to this question

1 minute ago, bioeditorx said:

Hello everyone 😊

I'm seeking insights from more experienced freelancers here regarding an issue from the topic: clients suggesting significantly reduced rates for services.

I'm a newcomer to this platform, and to build ratings and some trust with potential clients, I'm initially offering lower rates than most of the well-established users. So far, I haven't received any orders, except for the usual spam messages. Today, I had my first serious inquiry from a potential client. However, they proposed an exceptionally low rate and an extremely tight deadline. I declined the proposed terms because I know that to deliver high-quality work to the client, I would need to invest many, many hours of work. Even though I lack any ratings or experience on Fiverr at the moment, I believe my services deserve fair compensation.

Now, to the point, I'm concerned about this situation and would like to hear about your experiences. Is this kind of underpricing common on this platform? Are clients often prioritizing lower rates over service quality?

Well, it's up to you. If you want to build your profile, sometimes you can have low-rate orders when you're not getting any orders at all as a starting point. What it'll do is that you'll have ratings/feedback to show the clients (don't forget about the private feedback). Once you have enough orders in your order queue, you can increase your rates. But again it's totally up to you, you can have a first order at the price you want wait a bit and maybe you'll have one, or you can work with someone who's offering a low rate and complete your first order as a starting point.

• Like 12

People who do not respect your time or prices are less likely to respect your efforts, skills, and rules about revision requests, etc. 

Many buyers DO prioritize low prices over quality. These are not the type of buyers you want. There are also many that are willing to pay reasonable rates for high-quality services. If you offer them, stick to your prices.

• Like 10
  • Up 2

I remember a top Bangladeshi buyer on Fiverr requested me to provide a 120-hour Data Science tutorial for 30 USD for the entire course. 

Yes, you will get this kind of people on Fiverr.  I have another Indian client asking me to provide a 30% discount, which I cannot.

Just inform them of your best price and move on; don't encourage them often. 

Regards,

Sangamesh KS

• Like 6