Revisions or Rounds of Revisions?

vananshar

Question

Hi guys! 
So I was wondering what counts as revisions? I understand that this is subject to change based on the service you offer but I just wanted to get different perspectives on this.
I usually get buyers who are very specific about the changes they need but I also get buyers who do not understand what revisions mean and just end up asking for more work than what was agreed upon. How do you deal with this? 

Say my revision limit is 3. Is this a complete overhaul of the work 3 times or 3 specific changes? 
Thanks in advance for your input! 💫

• Like 14

8 answers to this question

Basically, 3 times revision means 3 times different changes. Now your main goal is to make your client satisfied. Sometimes it needs more revision to match your client's requirements or thinking. So you may need to provide some extra revisions to make them happy which is ok. 

But there are some buyers who will give you more and more new tasks to complete in the same order which is not right. In that case, you should contact Fiverr Support Team first. Tell them about your issues. Most of the time they will tell you to communicate with your buyer, and convenience them that your order is complete. That's what you can do in that particular order. If they need more, they have to buy your gig again. If they accept your proposal then go for it, Or if they want to cancel the order, Contact to Fiverr Support Team again. 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, sakib_hasan_ said:

Basically, 3 times revision means 3 times different changes. Now your main goal is to make your client satisfied. Sometimes it needs more revision to match your client's requirements or thinking. So you may need to provide some extra revisions to make them happy which is ok. 

But there are some buyers who will give you more and more new tasks to complete in the same order which is not right. In that case, you should contact Fiverr Support Team first. Tell them about your issues. Most of the time they will tell you to communicate with your buyer, and convenience them that your order is complete. That's what you can do in that particular order. If they need more, they have to buy your gig again. If they accept your proposal then go for it, Or if they want to cancel the order, Contact to Fiverr Support Team again. 

Thank you for your input! I always thought 3 revisions meant 3 minor changes. But if it means "round" of revisions, then I think I might have to start charging for revisions 😕

• Like 11

45 minutes ago, vananshar said:

I always thought 3 revisions meant 3 minor changes

yes, if a client requests a significant overhaul or multiple changes beyond the revision limit, you can offer options such as negotiating additional fees for the extra work or suggesting a custom order to cover the scope of their requests.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

I treat a “revision” as a round of revisions.

I offer one revision (so one round) for most of my gigs, so when a client requests a small change, I’ll ask them to let me know about anything else that they want changed before I start working on their revision, as further requests will be chargeable. I don’t do this because I want them to give me more work – I do it as a way to reinforce the idea that they will have to pay for any further revisions.

I’ve also found it important to consider whether the request falls within the original brief.

What I mean is, sometimes a buyer asks for something and a seller might misinterpret their request a little, so what’s delivered isn’t exactly what was expected. In this case, I’d cover small corrections within a revision, because it’s just a slight misalignment. After all, no seller can truly say they perfectly understand every buyer’s expectations, every single time 😅

But, if it’s a case that the buyer is asking for something that just wasn’t in the brief at all, I wouldn’t cover it in a revision. I’d instead send them an offer for the extra work they are requesting. I also wouldn’t cover a complete rebuild as a revision, as that’s effectively doing the work again. You can offer a rebuild within your revisions but it’s important to price them accordingly, if you plan to do that.

I always say to clients “your order includes a revision, so we can make small tweaks to the delivery, if needed”. Defining “small tweaks” is a little ambiguous by design, as it allows me some wiggle room to consider what revision requests are reasonable. 

On occasions when something I’ve delivered is broken, such as a glitch within a video export that I just didn’t notice, I’ll always cover that as a free revision and not count it towards the order’s included revisions.

These strategies have worked well for me. Hope this helps.

• Like 11
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, charlsmcfarlane said:

I treat a “revision” as a round of revisions.

I offer one revision (so one round) for most of my gigs, so when a client requests a small change, I’ll ask them to let me know about anything else that they want changed before I start working on their revision, as further requests will be chargeable. I don’t do this because I want them to give me more work – I do it as a way to reinforce the idea that they will have to pay for any further revisions.

I’ve also found it important to consider whether the request falls within the original brief.

What I mean is, sometimes a buyer asks for something and a seller might misinterpret their request a little, so what’s delivered isn’t exactly what was expected. In this case, I’d cover small corrections within a revision, because it’s just a slight misalignment. After all, no seller can truly say they perfectly understand every buyer’s expectations, every single time 😅

But, if it’s a case that the buyer is asking for something that just wasn’t in the brief at all, I wouldn’t cover it in a revision. I’d instead send them an offer for the extra work they are requesting. I also wouldn’t cover a complete rebuild as a revision, as that’s effectively doing the work again. You can offer a rebuild within your revisions but it’s important to price them accordingly, if you plan to do that.

I always say to clients “your order includes a revision, so we can make small tweaks to the delivery, if needed”. Defining “small tweaks” is a little ambiguous by design, as it allows me some wiggle room to consider what revision requests are reasonable. 

On occasions when something I’ve delivered is broken, such as a glitch within a video export that I just didn’t notice, I’ll always cover that as a free revision and not count it towards the order’s included revisions.

These strategies have worked well for me. Hope this helps.

Thanks, this actually does help a lot! Yes, I do small revisions and don't count them as revisions when I've misinterpreted their requirements. But I've also made complete rebuild/redesigns before because I had left "revisions" ambiguous and some buyers tend to take advantage of that. I guess I should try mentioning "Minor tweaks" explicitly while providing them with the offer and charge them extra for anything major. Hopefully that makes it better!

• Like 8