How does publishing a book work?

arlengrossman

Question

I am new to this and don't understand how it works. I wrote a children's book that I want to be professionally published. I found someone who was able to design and do illustrations for me. It cost me about $500. But I thought I would get help marketing it. I was told I needed  email lists to make that work. I was referred to someone who does that but I would have to pay anywhere from $400 to $800 for that email list (up to 5000 emails, I believe). Does that sound right? Is this the normal way these things work? Should I pay that much for an email list? And are there more services that I need to get promotion for the book? I would appreciate any help in recommending what I should be doing.

• Like 15

10 answers to this question

@arlengrossman, I found your book and may I say that I really liked the very small sample that can be read. 😊 Very clever and out of the box! 😉 Kids can't resist the word toilet and everything related to it. It's a magnet for them. 😂

I truly wish you the best of success. 😊

Edited by maitasun
  • Like 12
  • Up 1

1 hour ago, arlengrossman said:

But I thought I would get help marketing it. I was told I needed  email lists to make that work. I was referred to someone who does that but I would have to pay anywhere from $400 to $800 for that email list (up to 5000 emails, I believe). Does that sound right? Is this the normal way these things work? Should I pay that much for an email list?

If it's a personal email list (not business ones) I don't think that's allowed on Fiverr.

See: https://www.fiverr.com/community/standards/prohibited-services

Services that involve sharing personal information of third parties 

Fiverr takes proactive measures aimed to protect privacy rights. In order to ensure this policy, we ask that the information provided within relevant services will be unique to each order, and will contain business data only. 

Do not offer, agree to provide, or ask for any services that breach third-party rights and lead to spamming individuals, such as:

• Any sharing of personal data of individuals, ex. email addresses, phone numbers, etc.

• Premade lists containing personal data of individuals

• Scraping social media platforms to obtain information about others

Edited by uk1000
  • Like 10
  • Up 1

19 hours ago, arlengrossman said:

I am new to this and don't understand how it works. I wrote a children's book that I want to be professionally published. I found someone who was able to design and do illustrations for me. It cost me about $500. But I thought I would get help marketing it. I was told I needed  email lists to make that work. I was referred to someone who does that but I would have to pay anywhere from $400 to $800 for that email list (up to 5000 emails, I believe). Does that sound right? Is this the normal way these things work? Should I pay that much for an email list? And are there more services that I need to get promotion for the book? I would appreciate any help in recommending what I should be doing.

This is a huge topic that doesn't really suit the Fiverr forums. There are a LOT of author (and specifically children's book author) groups on social media and other writer-specific platforms.

The email list refers to your own list or newsletter subscription that you build yourself. It really would make little sense to pay someone that much money to create one for you. It would undoubtedly be full of random people (or bots) that aren't part of your target audience. I'd recommend spending a lot of time researching writer promotion, author marketing, and things like that. There are many, many options... many of them free or quite low cost.

• Like 6
  • Up 1

On 8/30/2023 at 2:17 PM, maitasun said:

@arlengrossman, I found your book and may I say that I really liked the very small sample that can be read. 😊 Very clever and out of the box! 😉 Kids can't resist the word toilet and everything related to it. It's a magnet for them. 😂

I truly wish you the best of success. 😊

I just noticed your response, maitasun. Thank you for your kind words and encouragement, and for doing the extra effort to find the book. It all helps.

• Like 8

On 8/31/2023 at 8:37 AM, melanielm said:

This is a huge topic that doesn't really suit the Fiverr forums. There are a LOT of author (and specifically children's book author) groups on social media and other writer-specific platforms.

The email list refers to your own list or newsletter subscription that you build yourself. It really would make little sense to pay someone that much money to create one for you. It would undoubtedly be full of random people (or bots) that aren't part of your target audience. I'd recommend spending a lot of time researching writer promotion, author marketing, and things like that. There are many, many options... many of them free or quite low cost.

On 8/31/2023 at 8:37 AM, melanielm said:

This is a huge topic that doesn't really suit the Fiverr forums. There are a LOT of author (and specifically children's book author) groups on social media and other writer-specific platforms

Your advice sounds good and sensible, Melanielm. I suppose I was looking for someone to save me the trouble of doing my own research and work. I will do as you suggest and see if I have some success. Thank you for reaching out!

• Like 6